Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Installing Solaris 8 bootblock without Solaris Install CD Post 302487034 by johnny994 on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 08:10:16 AM
Old 01-11-2011
Installing Solaris 8 bootblock without Solaris Install CD

Hello everyone,

Background:
I'm having an issue with booting a clone of hard drive with Solaris 8 installation.
For cloning process I have used g4l, running under click'n'clone option. As far as I know the actual operation ran behind g4l's interface was dd, though I do not have any information about the exact command that was ran (I presume it was common: dd /dev/sda /dev/sdb).
I have ran the Sun Blade 150 Workstation with Ultra-SPARC IIe 500MHz with the cloned drives (there were two drives on the original machine, and I have replaced them both with clones). Unfortunately it did not boot. There's a boot log, which passes quite fast until the machine restarts. Since I'm fairly new to the Unix OS overall, I have no idea how to stop the boot messages and read them, so any tips would be welcome.

The Problem:
As far as I have read so far, I've came to notice that I might need to restore bootblock using installboot command, from an Solaris 8 Install CD. The problem is that I do not own a copy of such disk. Therefore, I was wondering if you could provide me with a download location of some sort of a recovery disk for SunOS 5.8 or even the original installation disk.

If there's a cloning solution that does not require usage of the installation disk that would be highly appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.
Johnny

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Solaris 8

I'm new to Unix, and Installed Solaris 8 (IA) for the first time with the end user software group, I got the login screen at startup. When I re-installed it with the Full Distribution plus OEM support it bypasses the login screen and logs me as superuser (root). Is this normal? Thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdrivas
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Installing Solaris 10

Hi All, Il jump straight in.. Iv been asked to install Sun Solaris 10 for a friend and Il be honest.. Iv never installed one before.. Iv looked at some documentation on installing but nbothing to represent my problem.. I downloaded the Solaris 10 Software from sun.com on 5 cd`s.. burnt them... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjdude
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing ZFS on an existing Solaris 10 install (UFS)

Hello, I am new to Solaris so i apologize upfront if my questions seem trivial. I am trying to install a ZFS file system on a Solaris 10 machine with UFS already installed on it. I want to run: # zpool create pool_zfs c0t0d0 then: # zfs create pool_zfs/fs My question is more to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcdef
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 10 install dvd drive boots, but not recoginized by install process

I am trying to build a Sun Ultra 10 with solaris 10. This computer is one of a collection that was donated to the non-profic company I work for. All media was wiped before I recieved them, so I am starting from stratch. I downloaded the Solaris 10 ISO and burned a DVD. The computer came with a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwillhight
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Is it possible to install Solaris softwares on Open Solaris or Open Indiana?

Hi there, I'm sorry in advance if my question seems stupid, but I can't figure out myself. I was wondering. Is it possible to install a Solaris program on an Open Solaris or Open Indiana operating system? After searching the web for a long time, it seems that Open Solaris was released by... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firstpost
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Installing Solaris

Hello ladies and gentlemen I had a notebook 250 GB for windows 7, 250 GB for slackware, by the live dvd slaris i installed solaris in partition of windows, instalation ok, when i restart, i can not access menu bios or menu boot, and my notebook don't boot any dvd ,.. any help what i can do,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gitac
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 7: Is it possible to install JRE1.6 on Solaris 7

Dear All: I am trying to install JRE 1.6 on Solaris 7. But it's failed. error message: ld.so.1 symbo1 __1cH__Climpkcplus_init6F_v_: referenced symbol not found (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaychen
2 Replies

8. Solaris

No way to install a flar archive of Solaris 10 to Solaris 11.4 zone

I want to migrate a solaris 10 os to solaris 11.4 zone. I did this a)Collect some data like id sysid,disks,ip,etc..on solaris10 OK b)Create this file.cfg with this command on solaris 10 zonep2vchk -c > /migration/sol10.cfg OK c)Create the archive flash on Solaris10 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)