Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris hard disk broken, relocate user's home dir. All setting missing Post 302486674 by dr_dw on Monday 10th of January 2011 01:17:51 AM
Old 01-10-2011
Data hard disk broken, relocate user's home dir. All setting missing

Hi, guys

I am a super newbie in solaris admin....
Now I got a problem.
Due to the broken of one of Raid system, some user home directory is missing.
Someone advises me to relocate the home directory on the new drive.

I have googled and have tried " usermode -d " command.
But I found a problem. No config files for these users.

So I want to ask if there is any better methods? Or how can I recover the environment of these users.
I hope the environment of these users as least as good as a new created user.

Thank you.
Ray

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hard Disk drive space gone missing...

Sorry if this is totally the wrong place to post this but I have a question or something rather thats bugging me. I got a new Dell Inspiron laptop the other day and I was expecting it to have 80G on it, well atleast 70 or so after installation of OS and such but after looking carefully yesterday, I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ecclesiastes
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modify user home dir

I created a new user and assigned a certain home dir to tis user. I've noticed that this home dir (/export/home/test) is already assigned to other users. I really want to create a dedicated home dir for the new user. Can anyone tell me how I can modify this user with a new homedir? Thx for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kris_devis
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing home dir of anothe user

Hi I am trying to display the home directory of another user. I dont have the permissions to change into their directory and wonder is it possible to display their directory eg I cant change directory to john but I am trying to display something like /home/John. If anyone can help I would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
3 Replies

4. Solaris

need to restrict user to his home dir

Hello, i need to create a user who's access is restricted only to his home directory and below, i restricted his pty access by adding 'no-pty' to the options of the ssh key in authorized_keys file. However, sftp access still allows this user access to all my file system thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lidram
5 Replies

5. AIX

Not able to mount user home dir from with automount

Hello there Have anyone configured an AIX 5L machine as NIS client? with homedirectories automounted form an NFS share? The NIS server is running Solaris. I am able to configure the AIX machine as client and user is able to login but I have configured the client to use the automountd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
0 Replies

6. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

LVM recovery, Hard disk broken

Hi I am new on your forum, because I need some help. I have a server with debian and proxmox 2. The HardDisk is broken. I am in rescue mode, and I can't mount LVM partition to recover my backups. What I've already done : # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes 255... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pppplu
0 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Hard disk partition on Original windows 7 Home Premium

Respected Members, I am using compaq CQ41, with factory install windows 7, there is three drives namely (local Disk( c: ) 158 GB free of 281 GB), (RECOVERY( D: ) 2.69 GB free of 16.7GB) and (HP_TOOLS( E: ) 92.7 MB free of 99.3 MB). i don't want to lost it,but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijay Tyagi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Switching from root to normal user takes me to user's home dir

Whenever i switch from root to another user, by doing su - user, it takes me to home directory of user. This is very annoying as i want to be in same dir to run different commands as root sometimes and sometimes as normal user. How to fix this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Sun Fire v440 Hard disk or controller broken? WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@0,0 (sd1)

Hi, I have a Sun Fire V440 server that fails to boot up correctly. A lot of services are not started and the sytems acts really slow to commands. During boot I can see the following Error: WARNING: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/sd@0,0 (sd1): SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliwei
15 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)