Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting "Cannot allocate memory" error when run from script Post 302486466 by Perderabo on Saturday 8th of January 2011 07:10:32 PM
Old 01-08-2011
I don't know what to think of that "chmod" remedy you have. My guess is
that it just wastes time until some memory happens to get free. That would
explain why it sometimes takes 6 tries. My workstation:
Code:
$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2057636 2034332 23304 0 178556 506608
-/+ buffers/cache: 1349168 708468
Swap: 4192956 148 4192808
$

It still seems to me that you need more memory. I'm not super surprised that an embedded system would have no swap. That means that physical is all you have. And you need more of it to do what you want. My guess is that the flash memory is where your files reside. More filesystem space won't help your memory problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run away "bootpgw" & "inetd"

Hello All. I'm get the following messages posted to the /var/adm/syslog file ever second and not sure on how to stop the process. May 14 15:50:52 a3360 bootpgw: version 2.3.5 May 14 15:50:52 a3360 inetd: /etc/bootpgw exit 0x1 As said about this gets logged every second only thing that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfaiman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make a script run for a maximum of "x" number of hours only

How to make a script run for a maximum of "x" number of hours only (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScriptDummy
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

catalina.sh : need combination from "start" and "run"

heya, can someone help me with following problem. i am not sure how far you know the catalina.sh script from tomcat. when i start my tomcat with "catalina.sh run" then the startup-process-output will be printed out on the console, but the tomcat process is started in current shell/session, so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Filly
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup Script "run process with Timer"

Hi I have a script that execute every X minute for checking new files in a folder and converting to pdf. Is there any way to start this script automatically on linux startup?. I use sleep function in script with infinite loop. while do killall -u `whoami` -q soffice soffice... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zawmn83
0 Replies

5. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can run a ".sh" script as the user but not from the crontab

Hello Everyone, I am logged in as me. I created a script in the directory "/install/new" called "script1.sh" which basically runs another script "runapp.sh" . The "runapp.sh" is a vendor provided application strart up script that came with the installation. This is also in the same directory as... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaire
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is this "Out of Memory!" error due to sort() of perl how to resolve it?

I am running a program written in perl script and it is stopped with "Out of memory!" error. This is very strange because at the time then the program is aborted, it only used 4GB RAM and there are still 30GB free physical memory left in the system. I check the perl script and found the program... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lilili07
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using SSH to run a "BASH" script.

Experts, Hello ! Im running into something that I cant seem to find an answer to. I have a script and it does the following set of actions - 1. Cd to one specific directory 2. Look for all the files that contain a string and once a occurence of the string is found, 3. Pipe that output to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OMLEELA
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		     Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)

NAME
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats - Collect linux memory information. SYNOPSIS
use Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats; my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new; my $stat = $lxs->get; DESCRIPTION
Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats gathers memory statistics from the virtual /proc filesystem (procfs). For more information read the documentation of the front-end module Sys::Statistics::Linux. MEMORY INFORMATIONS
Generated by /proc/meminfo. memused - Total size of used memory in kilobytes. memfree - Total size of free memory in kilobytes. memusedper - Total size of used memory in percent. memtotal - Total size of memory in kilobytes. buffers - Total size of buffers used from memory in kilobytes. cached - Total size of cached memory in kilobytes. realfree - Total size of memory is real free (memfree + buffers + cached). realfreeper - Total size of memory is real free in percent of total memory. swapused - Total size of swap space is used is kilobytes. swapfree - Total size of swap space is free in kilobytes. swapusedper - Total size of swap space is used in percent. swaptotal - Total size of swap space in kilobytes. swapcached - Memory that once was swapped out, is swapped back in but still also is in the swapfile. active - Memory that has been used more recently and usually not reclaimed unless absolutely necessary. inactive - Memory which has been less recently used and is more eligible to be reclaimed for other purposes. On earlier kernels (2.4) Inact_dirty + Inact_laundry + Inact_clean. The following statistics are only available by kernels from 2.6. slab - Total size of memory in kilobytes that used by kernel for data structure allocations. dirty - Total size of memory pages in kilobytes that waits to be written back to disk. mapped - Total size of memory in kilbytes that is mapped by devices or libraries with mmap. writeback - Total size of memory that was written back to disk. committed_as - The amount of memory presently allocated on the system. The following statistic is only available by kernels from 2.6.9. commitlimit - Total amount of memory currently available to be allocated on the system. METHODS
new() Call "new()" to create a new object. my $lxs = Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new; It's possible to set the path to the proc filesystem. Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats->new( files => { # This is the default path => '/proc', meminfo => 'meminfo', } ); get() Call "get()" to get the statistics. "get()" returns the statistics as a hash reference. my $stat = $lxs->get; EXPORTS
No exports. SEE ALSO
proc(5) REPORTING BUGS
Please report all bugs to <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. AUTHOR
Jonny Schulz <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2006, 2007 by Jonny Schulz. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-09 Sys::Statistics::Linux::MemStats(3pm)