Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Max number of environment variables in Csh Post 302484719 by mohy on Monday 3rd of January 2011 01:54:12 AM
Old 01-03-2011
Max number of environment variables in Csh

Anyone knows what is the max limit of number of environment variables in Csh? I have a script that when run causes the shell to stop responding to any command like:

Code:
ls
/bin/ls: Argument list too long.

And I guess the reason is I passed the max limit for number of environment variables defined through the script run. Thanks in advance for help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass CSH variables up to the parent?

Hi .. I have a dynamic script called from a programming language called Powerhouse (4GL). The module, called QUIZ, allows the user to call shell commands from within it... i.e. !rm -f mipss156t2cmd1.bat mipss156t2tmp1.txt !printf '#!/bin/csh\n' > mipss156t2cmd1.bat !printf 'setenv... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Max. Possible number of IOs

Hi, Is there a way to find out the maximum possible number of IOs on a Solaris Servers. I'm using SUN Fire V240 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justsam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find max number

Hi, i have a file with numbers in it and i was wondering if there's a script i could use to find the max number and have that printed to a new file? example a.txt 18 26 47 34 27 so find the max number in a.txt and print it to b.txt. Thanks! (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: moonbaby
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max number of variables?

Hi Folks.Just out of interest does anyone know if their is a maximum number of variables that korn shell supports and if so how do I query what it is?Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Csh - setenv ENV change environment variable

I have 3 programs, 1 in perl, 2 in csh: call them perl1, csh1 and run.ol I need perl1 to set csh1 variable NOLOG_qsub = "" I need perl1 to run, run.ol run.ol takes the executable and input and outputs to output run.ol#!/bin/csh -f # run.ol executable input output perl1 should... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run csh environment parameters from k-shell script?

Hi Guys, I need to run an alias from a k-shell script ,for example 10204, which points to : source $ORACLE_BASE/scripts/cshrc/10204/.cshrc Meaning , I need to run in my k-shell script with the env settings parameters of the alias. How to do it in k-shell? Thanks in advance, Nir (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to access the bash variables in csh

Hi, I am having a primary script which is Bash based. I am calling a csh script from it. Now, their are some variables defined in my bash script which i need in csh. I am unable to do so. Is it possible ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use ifdef for bash variables in csh environment?

Hi Guys, I have a a bash script and i am exporting a variable in it. I am calling a csh script from this bash script. The variable "ABC" will be visible in csh script. ks.bash export ABC = abc ./kp.csh ab.csh echo $ABC setenv ABC =cde (i want to assign this value to ABC only if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
4 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Environment Variables

1. The problem statement: What is the mesg value set for your environment? If it is on, how would you turn off your current session? How would you set it permanently? 3. The attempts at a solution : Read Unix The textbook. 3rd chapter has many things like environment variables and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahinkhan22
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue nesting variables in csh.

The variables given are already defined ($file1-$file3, $obsid1-$obsid3, and $n=3). When I go to run the code, the terminal outputs "Missing }." I believe the error is with the nesting of variables. It would save a lot of time getting this while loop working. set i = 1 while (${i} <=... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ojdefdidit
5 Replies
SERVICE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SERVICE(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script or systemd unit in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT, or the name of a systemd unit. The existence of a systemd unit of the same name as a script in /etc/init.d will cause the unit to take precedence over the init.d script. The supported val- ues of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. For systemd units, start, stop, status, and reload are passed through to their systemctl/initctl equivalents. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. The status is [ + ] for running services, [ - ] for stopped services and [ ? ] for services without a status command. This option only calls status for sysvinit jobs. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. /{lib,run,etc}/systemd/system The directories containing systemd units. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_MONETARY, LC_MESSAGES, LC_PAPER, LC_NAME, LC_ADDRESS, LC_TELEPHONE, LC_MEA- SUREMENT, LC_IDENTIFICATION, LC_ALL, TERM, PATH The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton update-rc.d(8) init(8) invoke-rc.d(8) systemctl(1) AUTHOR
Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com>, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Licence: GNU Public Licence v2 (GPLv2) COPYRIGHT
2006 Red Hat, Inc., Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> Jan 206 SERVICE(8)