Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with Dynamic variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with Dynamic variable Post 302484560 by Jotne on Saturday 1st of January 2011 11:15:51 AM
Old 01-01-2011
Help with Dynamic variable

I need some variable help

TEMP1=Jane
TEMP2=Sue
X=1
eval USER=TEMP${X}
echo $USER

This gives output USER1

I would like to get Jane

I have tried
eval USER='TEMP${X}'
eval USER="TEMP${X}"
eval USER=`TEMP${X}`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic Variable Declatation

Evening all, Have been trying to create the following environment variable: ${MD_SYSTEM}_ZZ_EMAIL_SUPPORT="myname@domain.com" However when the script that contains the above is executed it returns: ksh: MDQA_ZZ_EMAIL_SUPPORT=myname@domain.com: not found Is what I'm trying to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic variable values

Bit of a newbie :D with regard to unix scripting and need some advice. Hopefully someone can help with the following: I have a predefined set of variables as follows: AAA_IP_ADD=1.1.1.1 BBB_IP_ADD=2.2.2.2 I have a funnction call which retrieves a value into $SUPPLIER which would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronnie_uk
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variable assignment

Hi All, I have the below scenario: A file test.cfg with three fields>> DATA1 DATA2 DATA3 In the script I need to assign each of the fields to variables. The number of fields will not be constant (this case we have three). Im trying to do something like this: NUM=1 OUT_DAT_NO=3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variable name

I found one post in another site with a solution for my problem the below solution should explain what I want. #!/bin/sh first="one" second="two" third="three" myvar="first" echo ${!myvar} But this gives error 'bad substitution' System info SunOS sundev2 5.9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi all, I’m very new to UNIX programming. I have a question on dynamic variable 1. I’m having delimited file (only one row). First of all, I want to count number of columns based on delimiter. Then I want to create number of variables equal to number of fields. Say number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkarthykeyan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variable value assignmnet

QUERY IN BRIEF Listing the query in short #! /bin/csh -f #say i have invoked the script with two arguments : a1 and 2 set arg = $1 # that means arg = a1 echo "$arg" #it prints a1 #now what i want is: echo "$a1" #it will give error message :a1 undefined. #however what i need is that the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic file name in variable

Hi guys. i have a requirment as below. I have a scripts which perform for loop for i in /backup/logs -- it will give all the logs file SC_RIO_RWVM_20120413064217303.LOG SC_RIO_RWXM_20120413064225493.LOG SC_RIO_RXXM_20120413064233273.LOG ... do open script.sh ---- in this file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing dynamic variable within another variable.

I have a small program which needs to pass variable dynamically to form the name of a second variable whose value wil be passed on to a third variable. ***************** Program Start ****************** LOC1=/loc1 PAT1IN=/loc2 PAT2IN=/loc3 if ; then for fpattern in `cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyril Jos
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My Code : -------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash for i in `echo server1 server2` do eval ${i}_name = "apache" echo ${i}_name done -------------------------------------------- Current output : >./test.sh ./test.sh: line 5: server1_name: command not found... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameermohite
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variable name in bash

Hello, I'm trying to build a small script to store a command into a dynamic variable, and I have trouble assigning the variable. #!/bin/bash declare -a var1array=("value1" "value2" "value3") var1arraylength=${#var1array} for (( i=1; i<${var1arraylength}+1; i++ )); do mkdir... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
7 Replies
DROP USER 
MAPPING(7) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation DROP USER MAPPING(7) NAME
DROP_USER_MAPPING - remove a user mapping for a foreign server SYNOPSIS
DROP USER MAPPING [ IF EXISTS ] FOR { user_name | USER | CURRENT_USER | PUBLIC } SERVER server_name DESCRIPTION
DROP USER MAPPING removes an existing user mapping from foreign server. The owner of a foreign server can drop user mappings for that server for any user. Also, a user can drop a user mapping for his own user name if USAGE privilege on the server has been granted to the user. PARAMETERS
IF EXISTS Do not throw an error if the user mapping does not exist. A notice is issued in this case. user_name User name of the mapping. CURRENT_USER and USER match the name of the current user. PUBLIC is used to match all present and future user names in the system. server_name Server name of the user mapping. EXAMPLES
Drop a user mapping bob, server foo if it exists: DROP USER MAPPING IF EXISTS FOR bob SERVER foo; COMPATIBILITY
DROP USER MAPPING conforms to ISO/IEC 9075-9 (SQL/MED). The IF EXISTS clause is a PostgreSQL extension. SEE ALSO
CREATE USER MAPPING (CREATE_USER_MAPPING(7)), ALTER USER MAPPING (ALTER_USER_MAPPING(7)) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 DROP USER MAPPING(7)