Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Case insensitive search in AIX man ? Post 302484382 by allanwang77 on Thursday 30th of December 2010 09:10:34 PM
Old 12-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_rizzo
Code:
export MORE=-i
man blah

But it looks like not work:

-bash-3.00$ export MORE=-i
-bash-3.00$ man Last
Manual entry for Last not found or not installed.
-bash-3.00$ last
coolryx1 pts/45 211.155.226.119 Dec 31 10:04 still logged in.
allanwan pts/43 99.245.35.45 Dec 31 10:04 still logged in.

What is the problem?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk case-insensitive

can I tell awk to be case insensitive for one operation without setting the ignorecase value ? thanks, Steffen (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

case insensitive

hi everyone, I need to do the following thing in a case insesitive mode sed 's/work/job/g' filename since work could appear in different form as Work WORK WorK wORK,.... I was wondering if i could do a case insensitive search of a word. thanks in advance, :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

case-insensitive search with AWK

Hi All, How we can perform case-insensitive search with AWK.:rolleyes: regards, Sam (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case Insensitive search

Hey , i am trying to do a search for the certain books , and im trying to make it case insensitive. what i have come up with so far is this : Database.txt RETARDED MONKEY:RACHEAL ABRAHAML:30:30:20 GOLD:FATIN:23.20:12:3 STUPID:JERLYN:20:40:3 echo -n "Title: " read Title echo -n... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

more command case insensitive search ?

Hello, How do I set case insensitive search mode while the file is open with more command ? (I know -i option which could be used before opening) thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed for case insensitive search

Hi, I have a file named "test_file" that has the below content. It has words in upper/lower cases PRODOPS prodOPS ProdOps PRODops escalate Shell My requirement is to replace all the "prodops" (what ever case it may be) with "productionoperations". I tried using the "i" option with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbhuvana20
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using FIND with case insensitive search

I am using HP-Unix B.11.31. Question: How to do the case insensitive search using FIND? Example: I would like list the files with extension of *.SQL & *.sql. When I try with command find . -type f -name *.sql, it does not lists file with *.SQL. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for a case insensitive search

Hi All, What is the command to search a file for a case-insensitive match 1.grep -nc text filename 2.grep -i text filename 3.grep -i filename text 4.grep -nc filename text 5.grep -c text filename Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case insensitive file name search and replace

I am trying to find case insensitive file names and then replace that particular file with other name. if then ls | grep -i "update" | xargs -I {} mv {} LineItems.csv echo "File moved from *update*" elif then ls | grep -i "priority" | xargs -I {} mv {} ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ATWC
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using awk to search case insensitive

Hello , Using the below scrip to search a string in a file , by case-insensitively Please assist on using the toupper() as getting error !. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x curr_dir=`pwd` file_ctr=0 printf "\n Reviewing the output file from the directory: %s \n\n" $curr_dir ls -latr ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
MAN(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    MAN(1)

NAME
man -- display the on-line manual pages (aka ``man pages'') SYNOPSIS
man [-acw|-h] [-C file] [-M path] [-m path] [-S srch] [[-s] section] name ... man -k [-C file] [-M path] [-m path] keyword ... man -p DESCRIPTION
The man utility displays the manual pages named on the command line. Its options are as follows: -a Display all of the man pages for a specified section and name combination. (Normally, only the first man page found is displayed.) -C Use the specified file instead of the default configuration file. This permits users to configure their own man environment. See man.conf(5) for a description of the contents of this file. -c Copy the man page to the standard output instead of using more(1) to paginate it. This is done by default if the standard output is not a terminal device. -h Display only the ``SYNOPSIS'' lines of the requested man pages. For commands, this is typically the command line usage information. For library functions, this usually contains the required include files and function prototypes. -k Display the header lines for any man pages matching keyword(s), in the same manner as apropos(1). -M Override the list of standard directories which man searches for man pages. The supplied path must be a colon (``:'') separated list of directories. This search path may also be set using the environment variable MANPATH. The subdirectories to be searched, and their search order, is specified by the ``_subdir'' line in the man configuration file. -m Augment the list of standard directories which man searches for man pages. The supplied path must be a colon (``:'') separated list of directories. These directories will be searched before the standard directories or the directories specified using the -M option or the MANPATH environment variable. The subdirectories to be searched, and their search order, is specified by the ``_subdir'' line in the man configuration file. -p Print the search path for the manual pages. -s Restrict the directories that man will search to the specified section. The man configuration file (see man.conf(5)) specifies the possible section values that are currently available. -S Display only man pages that have the specified string in the directory part of their filenames. This allows the man page search process criteria to be narrowed without having to change the MANPATH or ``_default'' variables. -w List the pathnames of the man pages which man would display for the specified section and name combination. If the '-s' option is not specified, there is more than one argument, the '-k' option is not used, and the first argument is a valid section, then that argument will be used as if specified by the '-s' option. If name is given with a full or relative path then man interprets it as a file specification, so that you can do man ./foo.5 or even man /cd/foo/bar.1.gz. ENVIRONMENT
MACHINE As some man pages are intended only for specific architectures, man searches any subdirectories, with the same name as the current architecture, in every directory which it searches. Machine specific areas are checked before general areas. The current machine type may be overridden by setting the environment variable MACHINE to the name of a specific architecture. MANPATH The standard search path used by man may be overridden by specifying a path in the MANPATH environment variable. The format of the path is a colon (``:'') separated list of directories. The subdirectories to be searched as well as their search order is speci- fied by the ``_subdir'' line in the man configuration file. PAGER The pagination command used for writing the output. If the PAGER environment variable is null or not set, the standard pagination program more(1) will be used. FILES
/etc/man.conf default man configuration file. /usr/{share,X11R7,pkg,local}/man/whatis.db standard whatis/apropos database search path, set in /etc/man.conf. SEE ALSO
apropos(1), whatis(1), whereis(1), man.conf(5), mdoc(7), mdoc.samples(7) STANDARDS
man conforms to X/Open Commands and Utilities Issue 5 (``XCU5''). BUGS
The on-line man pages are, by necessity, forgiving toward stupid display devices, causing a few man pages to be not as nicely formatted as their typeset counterparts. BSD
October 7, 2011 BSD