Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Mistakenly renamed libdl.so: system got corrupted Post 302484265 by royalibrahim on Thursday 30th of December 2010 09:54:28 AM
Old 12-30-2010
Mistakenly renamed libdl.so: system got corrupted

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit (Hardy Heron LTS Desktop edition) OS on a 64-bit intel hardware (x86_64). I have wrongly renamed the /lib64/libdl-2.7.so shared library file and now hardly few commands are working. My Gnome UI display has gone and I could not establish any new connection via SSH. I cannot run "ls" or "mv", or "cp" as these basic commands rely on libdl library for dlopen, dlclose operations etc,. It is a build server machine for our project and I am reluctant to reboot the system as it has to be run 24/7 (Hudson setup is there).

How I can resolve the system now? I guess recovery mode does not help in this case.
What if I boot via Ubuntu installation Live CD and mount the hard-disk and do the rename? Will it help?

What other options I have been left out?

This is really an urgent issue. Your help is highly solicited and appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mistakenly issued crontab -r

HPUX 11 (32bit) An ordinary user (not root) had mistakenly issued "crontab -r" which removed the crontab file corresponds to his user_id. (well, on our keyboard R is next E, where "crontab -e" is to edit the crontab file) :( Is there any way to recover the removed crontab file by that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanang
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

duplicate index names renamed

Hello everyone ! Please have a minute and see if you know how to script this I have a file like this: "create table .... ... create index n112 on ... ... create table ... .... create index n113 on... ... create table ... create index n112 on ...! duplicate ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sotoc79
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync - update file on backup when file renamed on source

hi all, Please help me with rsync. I configured rsync to preserve timestamps using the -a option. When i renamed fileA to fileB on source machine I have to copies at the backup server. The aim is to keep the most recent file. fileA & fileB has same contents. When i renamed fileB to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Critical lib renamed

Hello I have moved a critical lib from its location, so all programms linked to libc dont work . I still have two shells on the machine, bash and ksh The only thing I see is copying back the lib, but of course : dd, cp , mv etc are dead . So i tryed a loop with read ... {^Jwhile read... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: remi75
24 Replies

5. Solaris

Renamed lib directory by mistake

Let's say someone accidentally renamed the lib directory in Solaris 8, and now they cannot get into the terminal or even rename the folder via file manager.What would one do? (37 Replies)
Discussion started by: jetjaguar
37 Replies

6. Solaris

UFS File System Periodically Corrupted - What to check?

The system is a SunFire V440 running SunOS 5.10 About once every 3-4 weeks, the system will reboot into single user mode on its own, and then I run svcs -xv, the filesystem service and dependent services will be disabled due to the metadisk file system being corrupted. The I've been doing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: the.gooch
2 Replies

7. Solaris

recover a corrupted solaris10 system /usr/lib

did something very dump under /usr/lib, eg: overwite a bunch of files from a similar system's /usr/lib, while the system is live.. I have no backup on this..it crashed...and came up with a bunch of device driver load errors and hung... This is Solaris10 update 7 .. I wonder if I could do a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

who renamed my executable

Hi All, I connected via rlogin in testing environment (ksh ) and placed an executable with -rwxr-xr-x permission. eg: from my own unix box used : rlogin host -l user But the exe was renamed by somebody. since it's only renaming none of the access time , modification time etc is altered.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackcat
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file and check for the renamed file existence

Hi Am trying to move a file from one name to another When I do "ls" to check for the moved filename I can see the file but when I try the same with a script am unable.. I think am doing some pretty silly error.. please help.. toMove=`ls | grep -E "partition.+"` mv $toMove partition._org... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
7 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Renamed Volume Group name on Webmin while running samba server (oops)

Hi...I'm new to Linux and was working on a home server. I have it operational with Samba Share as my NAS system. Unfortunately, while I was on Webmin I changed the Logical Volume Group Name and now I can't find the data I had saved on my Samba Server. Can anyone help me recover those files? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pangil
0 Replies
libdl(3LIB)							Interface Libraries						       libdl(3LIB)

NAME
libdl - dynamic linking library SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -ldl [ library... ] DESCRIPTION
Historically, functions in libdl provided for dynamic linking support. This functionality now resides in libc(3LIB). This library is maintained to provide backward compatibility for both runtime and compilation environments. The shared object is imple- mented as a filter on the runtime linker. See ld.so.1(1). New application development need not specify -ldl. INTERFACES
The shared object libdl.so.1 provides the following public interfaces. See intro(3) for additional information on shared object interfaces. dladdr dladdr1 dlclose dldump dlerror dlinfo dlmopen dlopen dlsym FILES
/lib/libdl.so.1 shared object /lib/64/libdl.so.1 64-bit shared object ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsl (32-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | |SUNWcslx (64-bit) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ld.so.1(1), pvs(1), intro(3), libc(3LIB), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 24 Mar 2004 libdl(3LIB)