Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Purge MAil file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Purge MAil file Post 302483399 by big123456 on Monday 27th of December 2010 01:59:34 AM
Old 12-27-2010
Purge MAil file

Hi,

merry christmas.
on AIX 6.1,
the file /var/spool/mail/user, should/can be purged manually ?
Any commande line to purge it ?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

purge xterm

Being new I had my focus in the wrong place and typed in xterm instead of <If you can't guess, good>. Can I purge xterm so that this word no longer appears using up or down arrows? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobie_doo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file then purge or archive.

Hi All, I have a root directory /tmp and I want to purge files or archive files in its subsequent subfolders.I listed the path of files I want to purge(archive) and the #of days. (purge) DAYS PATH 7 /tmp/arsenal/* 5 /tmp/chelsea/* (archive? the same as above but different folders... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pull E-mail address from file, send e-mail

Hello, I am new to perl and need to create a script that will read a file and pull a name from the file and send e-mail. How can I use the following awk statement in a perl script? grep UNIXadmins /root/mail.conf | awk '{ print $2}' and use the output to send a e-mail. Any help would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DC Heard
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Purge files based on timestamp avl in file name

Dear All, I have the followoing requirement.. REQ-1: Suppose I have the following files XX_20070202000101.zip XX_20080223000101.zip XX_20080226000101.zip XX_20080227000101.zip XX_20080228000101.zip XX_20080229000101.zip Suppose sysdate = 29 Feb 2007 I need to delete all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for purge

Hi , I want to purge 7 days older data from a list of data sorted on date in a log file... Can anyone provide me with the shell script for the same.. Thanks, Jaz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JP003
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to send html file in a mail not as an attachment but it should display in the mail in table for

Hi The below script working when we are sending the html as attachment can u please guide how to send thesmae data in table form direct in the mail and not in mail attachment . cat Employee.sql SET VERIFY OFF SET PAGESIZE 200 SET MARKUP HTML ON SPOOL ON PREFORMAT OFF ENTMAP ON - HEAD... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script or one-liner to purge lines from a file.

i all. This one sounds so simple, but I can't get it to work. I need to delete lines with certain keywords from a file. I have a file called defaultRules, with keywords: IPSEC_AH IKE_UDP IPMP_TEST_IFACE2 Then, I have another file called rules.txt with some rules: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: BRH
10 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Purge in oracle9i

From morning we are facing some issues in tablespaces in oracle9i. Tried deleting some huge records... but even thought it is still giving tablespcases in full. Then i tried and googling ... found we need to purge recyclebin of oracle.. but thats not woking in oracle9i... can any one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greenworld123
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Archive and purge the log file

Hi Unix Experts, I am new in this filed. I have assignment to Archive and purge the log file using shell scripts I tried I could not get the result please help me this. Ex: test.log requirement : using shell script I need to archive the log file and nil and the content of (test.log)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johney1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu for Purge

I have these commands that help me find and delete files over certain days. How can I build a menu to list the files, and then hit y for yes to delete or no? find /logs/212/abinitio/prod/mfs/partitions/part0/mfs_12way_001/mfs_12way/sncrpt/main/ -name "*dat" -mtime +1 -exec ls -ltr {} \; find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies
MAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAIL(1)

NAME
mail - send and receive electronic mail SYNOPSIS
mail [-dpqrv] [-f file] [user] OPTIONS
-d Force use of the shell variable MAILER -f Use file instead of /usr/spool/mail/user as mailbox -p Print all mail and then exit -q Quit program if SIGINT received -r Reverse print order, i.e., print oldest first -v Verbose mode EXAMPLES
mail ast # Send a message to ast mail # Read your mail DESCRIPTION
Mail is an extremely simple electronic mail program. It can be used to send or receive email on a single MINIX system, in which case it functions as user agent and local delivery agent. If the flag MAILER is defined in mail.c, it can also call a transport agent to handle remote mail as well. No such agent is supplied with MINIX. When called by user with no arguments, it examines the mailbox /usr/spool/mail/user, prints one message (depending on the -r flag), and waits for one of the following commands: <newline> Go to the next message - Print the previous message !command Fork off a shell and execute command CTRL-D Update the mailbox and quit (same as q) d Delete the current message and go to the next one q Update the mailbox and quit (same as CTRL-D) p Print the current message again s [file] Save message in the named file x Exit without updating the mailbox To send mail, the program is called with the name of the recipient as an argument. The mail is sent, along with a postmark line containing the date. For local delivery, a file named after the recipient in the directory /usr/spool/mail must be writable. If the directory /usr/spool/mail does not exist then the mail is dumped on the console, so that system programs have a way to notify a user on a system that does not have a mail spool. MAIL(1)