Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System audible beep
Operating Systems Linux Slackware System audible beep Post 302483371 by Corona688 on Sunday 26th of December 2010 03:44:16 PM
Old 12-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by slak0
Corona688 THANX. The problem is with #1 apparently since I had taken care of 2-3. So are you saying for #1 that I can only invoke a beep from a virtual console using echo command and must use xset in an X-window?
xterms are virtual consoles too. But only a raw text terminal, like you get with ctrl-alt-f1, is handled directly by the kernel in a way to enable console beeps by default afaik.

If you have working PC beeps this should work from any console: sudo echo -e '\a' > /dev/console

The beep utility I suggested would also work.

There may also be ways to tell X to use console beeps that I'm unaware of.
Quote:
I have (#4?) P C Speak unmuted and set to 80% in alsamixer -c2 is that what you meant by enabling the channel?
Yes.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no beep in shell??

hiho, who has an idea how i can tell my shell that it should not beep on errors or when i'm using the TAB in bash to complete noone needs to know when i make mistakes ;-) solaris 9 (SPARC) bash 2.05 thx a lot Preßy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pressy
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Turn off awful beep

. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Driver
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to shut off beep

I need to know how to turn off the beep in my unix environment. I tried with the Common Desktop Environment on solaris but it didn't work. I used to know the environment variable to set but I have forgotten it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpedicone
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I make 'tail -f' beep?

Hi, I'm moniroting numerous logs in my new job (tail -f JOE.log | grep ALERT) and I want to be able to make the Terminal BEEP when ever something comes up. Is this something I can do easily? Any help with the above (or an alternative) would be appreciated, so I can stop staring at the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_big_v
1 Replies

5. Linux

the old question: how to disable the beep ?

still the old question (didn't find the satisfied answer in the forum) how to disable the awful beep in linux workstation? i tried this: /etc/inputrc -〉set bell-style none but it can only disable the beep whenever you input wrongly in the console. in some othercases, i still can hear... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princelinux
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get ride of the BEEP in Solaris

Hello, I did a search on this forum and a global search to try and find out how to disable that annoying beep that you get when you mistype or hit the esc key in VI and i didn't have that problem last week. I'm using Solaris and bash shell and i've put these commands into my .profile file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

I can't make my pc speakers beep

I don't know why, but when I issue echo -e '\a' or beep. I get only some sound, set in my OS (Ubuntu Karmic). I tried to run these on Lenovo Y510KA and Lenovo S10-2. Is there another way to make my laptops beep?.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
3 Replies

8. Solaris

System hangs (freezes) on system bell/beep

I am running OpenIndiana development version oi_148 32-bit on a seven-year-old Dell Inspiron 8600. Seems to be running fine except for one particular annoyance: It freezes whenever a system bell/beep plays. I have mitigated this by turning the system bell off in gnome-terminal, which I use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeadBadger
3 Replies
CONSOLE(4)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							CONSOLE(4)

NAME
console - console terminal and virtual consoles DESCRIPTION
A Linux system has up to 63 virtual consoles (character devices with major number 4 and minor number 1 to 63), usually called /dev/ttyn with 1 <= n <= 63. The current console is also addressed by /dev/console or /dev/tty0, the character device with major number 4 and minor number 0. The device files /dev/* are usually created using the script MAKEDEV, or using mknod(1), usually with mode 0622 and owner root.tty. Before kernel version 1.1.54 the number of virtual consoles was compiled into the kernel (in tty.h: #define NR_CONSOLES 8) and could be changed by editing and recompiling. Since version 1.1.54 virtual consoles are created on the fly, as soon as they are needed. Common ways to start a process on a console are: (a) tell init(1) (in inittab(5)) to start a mingetty(8) (or agetty(8)) on the console; (b) ask openvt(1) to start a process on the console; (c) start X--it will find the first unused console, and display its output there. (There is also the ancient doshell(8).) Common ways to switch consoles are: (a) use Alt+Fn or Ctrl+Alt+Fn to switch to console n; AltGr+Fn might bring you to console n+12 [here Alt and AltGr refer to the left and right Alt keys, respectively]; (b) use Alt+RightArrow or Alt+LeftArrow to cycle through the presently allocated consoles; (c) use the program chvt(1). (The key mapping is user settable, see loadkeys(1); the above mentioned key combinations are according to the default settings.) The command deallocvt(1) (formerly disalloc) will free the memory taken by the screen buffers for consoles that no longer have any associ- ated process. Properties Consoles carry a lot of state. I hope to document that some other time. The most important fact is that the consoles simulate vt100 ter- minals. In particular, a console is reset to the initial state by printing the two characters ESC c. All escape sequences can be found in console_codes(4). FILES
/dev/console /dev/tty* SEE ALSO
chvt(1), deallocvt(1), init(1), loadkeys(1), mknod(1), openvt(1), console_codes(4), console_ioctl(4), tty(4), ttyS(4), charsets(7), agetty(8), mapscrn(8), mingetty(8), resizecons(8), setfont(8) Linux 1994-10-31 CONSOLE(4)