Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System audible beep
Operating Systems Linux Slackware System audible beep Post 302483264 by slak0 on Friday 24th of December 2010 11:18:52 PM
Old 12-25-2010
System audible beep

Corona688 THANX. The problem is with #1 apparently since I had taken care of 2-3. So are you saying for #1 that I can only invoke a beep from a virtual console using echo command and must use xset in an X-window?
I have (#4?) P C Speak unmuted and set to 80% in alsamixer -c2 is that what you meant by enabling the channel?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

no beep in shell??

hiho, who has an idea how i can tell my shell that it should not beep on errors or when i'm using the TAB in bash to complete noone needs to know when i make mistakes ;-) solaris 9 (SPARC) bash 2.05 thx a lot Preßy (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pressy
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Turn off awful beep

. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Driver
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to shut off beep

I need to know how to turn off the beep in my unix environment. I tried with the Common Desktop Environment on solaris but it didn't work. I used to know the environment variable to set but I have forgotten it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpedicone
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I make 'tail -f' beep?

Hi, I'm moniroting numerous logs in my new job (tail -f JOE.log | grep ALERT) and I want to be able to make the Terminal BEEP when ever something comes up. Is this something I can do easily? Any help with the above (or an alternative) would be appreciated, so I can stop staring at the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_big_v
1 Replies

5. Linux

the old question: how to disable the beep ?

still the old question (didn't find the satisfied answer in the forum) how to disable the awful beep in linux workstation? i tried this: /etc/inputrc -〉set bell-style none but it can only disable the beep whenever you input wrongly in the console. in some othercases, i still can hear... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princelinux
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get ride of the BEEP in Solaris

Hello, I did a search on this forum and a global search to try and find out how to disable that annoying beep that you get when you mistype or hit the esc key in VI and i didn't have that problem last week. I'm using Solaris and bash shell and i've put these commands into my .profile file: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

I can't make my pc speakers beep

I don't know why, but when I issue echo -e '\a' or beep. I get only some sound, set in my OS (Ubuntu Karmic). I tried to run these on Lenovo Y510KA and Lenovo S10-2. Is there another way to make my laptops beep?.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
3 Replies

8. Solaris

System hangs (freezes) on system bell/beep

I am running OpenIndiana development version oi_148 32-bit on a seven-year-old Dell Inspiron 8600. Seems to be running fine except for one particular annoyance: It freezes whenever a system bell/beep plays. I have mitigated this by turning the system bell off in gnome-terminal, which I use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeadBadger
3 Replies
PVM(1PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4							 PVM(1PVM)

NAME
pvm - PVM version 3 console SYNOPSIS
pvm [ -options ] [ hostfile ] DESCRIPTION
Pvm is a stand alone PVM task which allows the user to interactively query and modify the virtual machine. The console can be started and stopped multiple times on any of the hosts in the virtual machine without affecting PVM or any applications that may be running. When started pvm determines if PVM is already running and if not automatically executes pvmd3 on this host, passing pvmd3 the command line options and host file. Thus PVM need not be running to start the console. Once started the console prints the prompt: pvm> The following console commands are available: add hostname(s) - Add hosts to virtual machine alias - Define/list command aliases conf - List virtual machine configuration delete hostname(s) - Delete hosts from virtual machine echo - Echo arguments export - Add environment variables to spawn export list halt - Stop pvmds help [command] - Print helpful information about a command id - Print console task id jobs - List running jobs kill task-tid - Terminate tasks mstat host-tid - Show status of hosts ps -a - List all PVM tasks pstat task-tid - Show status of tasks quit - Exit console reset - Kill all tasks setenv - Display/set environment variables sig signum task - Send signal to task spawn [opt] a.out - Spawn task opts are: -(count) number of tasks, default is 1 -(host) spawn on host, default is any -(ARCH) spawn on hosts of ARCH -? enable debugging -> redirect task output to console -> file redirect task output to file ->>file redirect task output append to file trace - Set/display trace event mask unexport - Remove environment variables from spawn export list unalias - Undefine command alias version - Show libpvm version pvm reads $HOME/.pvmrc before reading commands from the tty, so it can be used to customize the console environment, for example: alias ? help alias j jobs setenv PVM_EXPORT DISPLAY # print my id echo new pvm shell id EXAMPLES
pvm Starts up pvmd3 on the local host or connects to running pvmd3. pvm hostfile Starts up console and pvmd3, which inturn reads the host file and adds the listed computers to the virtual machine. SEE ALSO
pvm_intro(1PVM), pvmd3(1PVM) 30 August, 1993 PVM(1PVM)