Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) How to prompt for login on OSX when starting Terminal Post 302482065 by Scott on Monday 20th of December 2010 02:03:55 PM
Old 12-20-2010
To get rid of the "Process Completed" message, from the terminal preferences:

Shell -> When the shell exits -> Close if the shell exited cleanly

For the login prompt:

Shell -> Startup (check "Run command" box) -> Type "login" as the "Run command"

edit: Thread renamed and moved to OS X sub-forum.

Last edited by Scott; 12-20-2010 at 03:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Changing OSX Terminal Man Page Colors

For a long time, when I type man anything on my Mac, both the manpage header fonts and the background was black, so I had to use my mouse to highlight the manpage output to read it. It was really annoying. The problem was the same both locally or using the terminal and going ssh somewhere. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: Add email users in OSX terminal

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I am a VERY basic user here and have been tasked with adding a user to our email system -- we use a squirrelmail interface and I have root passwords etc. I tried logging in through a browser but get this error: ERROR: Connection dropped... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dperro01
1 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Help: Add email users in OSX terminal

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I am a VERY basic user here and have been tasked with adding a user to our email system -- we use a squirrelmail interface and I have root passwords etc. I tried logging in through a browser but get this error: ERROR: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dperro01
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to hide shell terminal and run prompt program after ssh login for specified user

Hey guys, I have some task from my office to lock user on the specified directory after the user logged on using ssh. And then run prompt program to fill the required information. Yeah, just like an ATM system. My question: How could I do those?? AFAIK I have to edit the ~./bashrc. But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franzramadhan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing login details to htaccess login prompt

Hi, How i can pass the login details to the URL which is password protected with the htaccess using command line or script (perl,or shell,or php). Any help or hint appreciated. Thanks, SJ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

OSX read silent with prompt

A minor nitpick, but I cannot get a statement like: read -s -n 1 -p "Say Y or N here" -e ANS to actually hush the response. If I don't use the -p option, the response is silent. With it, I always see the response, and I've tried putting the -s in different spots. Is this a known issue, or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal emulation OSX Vs. Solaris 11

I am using Terminal on an OSX system to access and edit crontab files on a 'headless' Solaris 11 server. Crontab -e on OSX invokes vi as the editor, which is fine, but I am getting unexpected characters on keystrokes and have to abort the edit. If this is an emulation issue, would someone please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
1 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Osx terminal

hi all, first off thesis my first post so if i am not in the right forum, i apologize. i'm an absolute newbie to unix. i've been reading my books and studying my crib sheets etc. but... :/ i want to accomplish two things. 1. search and remove duplicate files i.e.. audio, doc alias etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monkeyhateclean
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

A new OSX 10.12.x terminal from the command line.

Hi guys and gals... After much searching on the good ol' internet I could find nothing, so this is the result. ALthough many people seem to have asked this question no-one seems to have a solution so here we go. I need for AudioScope.sh, 'xterm' to run a second program for some of its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

A means of clearing the scroll buffer in an OSX Terminal.

I was looking for a method of clearing the buffer of the vertical scroll back slider and came across this little Terminal escape snippet I had never seen before: printf "%b" "\033 SO... printf "%b" "\033c\033 Performs a terminal reset, buffer clearance, clear the window, set back to default... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
LOGIN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  LOGIN(1)

NAME
login -- log into the computer SYNOPSIS
login [-fp] [-h hostname] [user] DESCRIPTION
The login utility logs users (and pseudo-users) into the computer system. If no user is specified, or if a user is specified and authentication of the user fails, login prompts for a user name. Authentication of users is done via passwords. The options are as follows: -f The -f option is used when a user name is specified to indicate that proper authentication has already been done and that no password need be requested. This option may only be used by the super-user or when an already logged in user is logging in as themselves. -h The -h option specifies the host from which the connection was received. It is used by various daemons such as telnetd(8). This option may only be used by the super-user. -p By default, login discards any previous environment. The -p option disables this behavior. If the file /etc/nologin exists, login dislays its contents to the user and exits. This is used by shutdown(8) to prevent users from logging in when the system is about to go down. Immediately after logging a user in, login displays the system copyright notice, the date and time the user last logged in, the message of the day as well as other information. If the file ``.hushlogin'' exists in the user's home directory, all of these messages are suppressed. This is to simplify logins for non-human users, such as uucp(1). Login then records an entry in the wtmp(5) and utmp(5) files and executes the user's command interpreter. Login enters information into the environment (see environ(7)) specifying the user's home directory (HOME), command interpreter (SHELL), search path (PATH), terminal type (TERM) and user name (both LOGNAME and USER). The standard shells, csh(1) and sh(1), do not fork before executing the login utility. FILES
/etc/motd message-of-the-day /etc/nologin disallows logins /var/run/utmp current logins /var/log/lastlog last login account records /var/log/wtmp login account records /var/mail/user system mailboxes .hushlogin makes login quieter SEE ALSO
chpass(1), passwd(1), rlogin(1), getpass(3), utmp(5), environ(7), HISTORY
A login appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 5, 1994 4th Berkeley Distribution