Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) How to prompt for login on OSX when starting Terminal Post 302482059 by KevinGB on Monday 20th of December 2010 01:51:14 PM
Old 12-20-2010
If you search on google for process completed osx terminal you will see that this is a common problem and there are many solutions suggested.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Changing OSX Terminal Man Page Colors

For a long time, when I type man anything on my Mac, both the manpage header fonts and the background was black, so I had to use my mouse to highlight the manpage output to read it. It was really annoying. The problem was the same both locally or using the terminal and going ssh somewhere. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: Add email users in OSX terminal

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I am a VERY basic user here and have been tasked with adding a user to our email system -- we use a squirrelmail interface and I have root passwords etc. I tried logging in through a browser but get this error: ERROR: Connection dropped... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dperro01
1 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Help: Add email users in OSX terminal

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post. I am a VERY basic user here and have been tasked with adding a user to our email system -- we use a squirrelmail interface and I have root passwords etc. I tried logging in through a browser but get this error: ERROR: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dperro01
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to hide shell terminal and run prompt program after ssh login for specified user

Hey guys, I have some task from my office to lock user on the specified directory after the user logged on using ssh. And then run prompt program to fill the required information. Yeah, just like an ATM system. My question: How could I do those?? AFAIK I have to edit the ~./bashrc. But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franzramadhan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing login details to htaccess login prompt

Hi, How i can pass the login details to the URL which is password protected with the htaccess using command line or script (perl,or shell,or php). Any help or hint appreciated. Thanks, SJ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

OSX read silent with prompt

A minor nitpick, but I cannot get a statement like: read -s -n 1 -p "Say Y or N here" -e ANS to actually hush the response. If I don't use the -p option, the response is silent. With it, I always see the response, and I've tried putting the -s in different spots. Is this a known issue, or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal emulation OSX Vs. Solaris 11

I am using Terminal on an OSX system to access and edit crontab files on a 'headless' Solaris 11 server. Crontab -e on OSX invokes vi as the editor, which is fine, but I am getting unexpected characters on keystrokes and have to abort the edit. If this is an emulation issue, would someone please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmokeyJoe
1 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Osx terminal

hi all, first off thesis my first post so if i am not in the right forum, i apologize. i'm an absolute newbie to unix. i've been reading my books and studying my crib sheets etc. but... :/ i want to accomplish two things. 1. search and remove duplicate files i.e.. audio, doc alias etc.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: monkeyhateclean
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

A new OSX 10.12.x terminal from the command line.

Hi guys and gals... After much searching on the good ol' internet I could find nothing, so this is the result. ALthough many people seem to have asked this question no-one seems to have a solution so here we go. I need for AudioScope.sh, 'xterm' to run a second program for some of its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

A means of clearing the scroll buffer in an OSX Terminal.

I was looking for a method of clearing the buffer of the vertical scroll back slider and came across this little Terminal escape snippet I had never seen before: printf "%b" "\033 SO... printf "%b" "\033c\033 Performs a terminal reset, buffer clearance, clear the window, set back to default... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
WRITE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WRITE(1)

NAME
write - write to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [ ttyname ] DESCRIPTION
Write copies lines from your terminal to that of another user. When first called, it sends the message Message from yourname yourttyname... The recipient of the message should write back at this point. Communication continues until an end of file is read from the terminal or an interrupt is sent. At that point write writes `EOT' on the other terminal and exits. If you want to write to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name. Permission to write may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command. At the outset writing is allowed. Certain commands, in particu- lar nroff and pr(1) disallow messages in order to prevent messy output. If the character `!' is found at the beginning of a line, write calls the shell to execute the rest of the line as a command. The following protocol is suggested for using write: when you first write to another user, wait for him to write back before starting to send. Each party should end each message with a distinctive signal--(o) for `over' is conventional--that the other may reply. (oo) for `over and out' is suggested when conversation is about to be terminated. FILES
/etc/utmp to find user /bin/sh to execute `!' SEE ALSO
mesg(1), who(1), mail(1) WRITE(1)