Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Read input data within a specified period of time Post 302480090 by R0H0N on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 02:58:59 AM
Old 12-14-2010
If u want to catch only some number of characters (i.e. only 2 or only 5 characters need to be entered and than your standard input should be disabled) than I have perl code if u have perl installed in your machine.
R0H0N

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run job for a period of time

I have a job that runs for an unspecified amount of time. I want to run this as a cron job for a specified amount of time, say 2 hours. Once the time is up, the program should be killed in the middle of execution. How can I do this? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read/writte/input data in file.

Hi, how can i do to show when i do with scrip list entris, or list specific entry, it show 2 lines when i specify the entry to search...¿? i paste the script: # Global variables film=/opt/etc/film/film.txt export film confirm() { echo -en "$@" read ans ans=`echo $ans | tr... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorek
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Time Period in Scripting

Hi all, now i am writting one bash script. in that my requirement is i need to create one directory and that the directory details to be stored in one file Ex. date/time and all in one file. after that i need to delete the folder automatically exactly after 3months. between these time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Start Time and period of a PID

Hi, Below is my OS details. uname -an SunOS mymachine 5.10 Generic_144488-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220 I need to know when was my Apache server last started. Whats is the best and most reliable way to find out not just for Apache but for any PID per say? I am... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

6. HP-UX

memory consumption over a time period

Hi, Can some one please tell me how do I generate a report of the Memory Consumption over a time period: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 0440531406 unlimited-user license I normally use glance to monitor memory in run time. Note: I do not have root privileges. Thanks Danish ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read user input, Encrypt the data and write to file

Hi, can some one help me how to encrypt and decrypt a file. AIM: reade user input, encrypt it and save it to file. while decryption read the encrypted file decrypt it and save the output in some variable. Example: consider we have Credentials.txt file with content username: password... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get connection count over a period of time

I used this script to get the connection to a domain in two specific minutes. I need to extend to give result over a range of minutes. The below gives total number of connections in the minutes 00:40 and 01:13 on 22nd March. egrep "22/Mar/2013:00:40|22/Mar/2013:01:13"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get the Files between Time Period

All, How to get the list of files through a unix command which exists / created / updated between 8 PM to 11:59 PM from a particular location. Regards Oracle User (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oracle_User
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the shell script to read the .txt file as an input/data?

i have written my shell script in notepad however i am struggling to pass the data file to be read to the script the data file is of .txt format. My target is to run the shell script from the terminal and pass 3 arguments e.g. polg@DESKTOP-BVPDC5C:~/CS1420/coursework$ bash valsplit.sh input.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurdza32
11 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicat- ing its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c complements the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose ASCII codes are 01 through 0377 octal; -d deletes all input characters in string1; -s squeezes all strings of repeated output characters that are in string2 to single characters. In either string the notation a-b means a range of characters from a to b in increasing ASCII order. The character `' followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits. A `' followed by any other character stands for that character. The following example creates a list of all the words in `file1' one per line in `file2', where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. The second string is quoted to protect `' from the Shell. 012 is the ASCII code for newline. tr -cs A-Za-z '12' <file1 >file2 SEE ALSO
ed(1), ascii(7), expand(1) BUGS
Won't handle ASCII NUL in string1 or string2; always deletes NUL from input. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 TR(1)