Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Read input data within a specified period of time Post 302479884 by pludi on Monday 13th of December 2010 07:10:04 AM
Old 12-13-2010
The read command in KSH has a switch to define a timeout (-t). Example usage:
Code:
echo "Input (timeout 10 seconds):"
read -t 10 userinput
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
    echo "Using default value"
else
    echo "Using user input"
fi

This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run job for a period of time

I have a job that runs for an unspecified amount of time. I want to run this as a cron job for a specified amount of time, say 2 hours. Once the time is up, the program should be killed in the middle of execution. How can I do this? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read/writte/input data in file.

Hi, how can i do to show when i do with scrip list entris, or list specific entry, it show 2 lines when i specify the entry to search...¿? i paste the script: # Global variables film=/opt/etc/film/film.txt export film confirm() { echo -en "$@" read ans ans=`echo $ans | tr... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorek
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate Time Period in Scripting

Hi all, now i am writting one bash script. in that my requirement is i need to create one directory and that the directory details to be stored in one file Ex. date/time and all in one file. after that i need to delete the folder automatically exactly after 3months. between these time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Start Time and period of a PID

Hi, Below is my OS details. uname -an SunOS mymachine 5.10 Generic_144488-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220 I need to know when was my Apache server last started. Whats is the best and most reliable way to find out not just for Apache but for any PID per say? I am... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

6. HP-UX

memory consumption over a time period

Hi, Can some one please tell me how do I generate a report of the Memory Consumption over a time period: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 0440531406 unlimited-user license I normally use glance to monitor memory in run time. Note: I do not have root privileges. Thanks Danish ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read user input, Encrypt the data and write to file

Hi, can some one help me how to encrypt and decrypt a file. AIM: reade user input, encrypt it and save it to file. while decryption read the encrypted file decrypt it and save the output in some variable. Example: consider we have Credentials.txt file with content username: password... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get connection count over a period of time

I used this script to get the connection to a domain in two specific minutes. I need to extend to give result over a range of minutes. The below gives total number of connections in the minutes 00:40 and 01:13 on 22nd March. egrep "22/Mar/2013:00:40|22/Mar/2013:01:13"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get the Files between Time Period

All, How to get the list of files through a unix command which exists / created / updated between 8 PM to 11:59 PM from a particular location. Regards Oracle User (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oracle_User
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the shell script to read the .txt file as an input/data?

i have written my shell script in notepad however i am struggling to pass the data file to be read to the script the data file is of .txt format. My target is to run the shell script from the terminal and pass 3 arguments e.g. polg@DESKTOP-BVPDC5C:~/CS1420/coursework$ bash valsplit.sh input.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurdza32
11 Replies
acctcon(1M)															       acctcon(1M)

NAME
acctcon, acctcon1, acctcon2 - connect-time accounting SYNOPSIS
[options] [options] DESCRIPTION
The command converts a sequence of login/logoff records read from its standard input to a sequence of records, one per login session. Its input should normally be redirected from or Its output is ASCII, giving device, user ID, login name, prime connect time (seconds), non- prime connect time (seconds), session starting time (numeric), and starting date and time. Prime connect time is defined as the connect time within a specific prime period on a non-holiday weekday (Monday through Friday). The starting and ending time of the prime period and the year's holidays are defined in file expects as input a sequence of login session records, produced by and converts them into total accounting records (see format in acct(4)). combines the functionality of and into one program. It takes the same input format as and writes the same output as recognizes the following options: Print input only, showing line name, login name, and time (in both numeric and date/time formats). maintains a list of lines on which users are logged in. When it reaches the end of its input, it emits a session record for each line that still appears to be active. It normally assumes that its input is a current file, so that it uses the current time as the ending time for each ses- sion still in progress. The flag causes it to use, instead, the last time found in its input, thus ensuring reason- able and repeatable numbers for non-current files. and recognize the following options: file is created to contain a summary of line usage showing line name, number of minutes used, percentage of total elapsed time used, number of sessions charged, number of logins, and number of logoffs. This file helps track line usage, identify bad lines, and find software and hardware oddities. Hang-up, termination of (see login(1)), and termination of the login shell each generate logoff records, so that the number of logoffs is often three to four times the num- ber of sessions. See init(1M) and utmp(4). file is filled with an overall record for the accounting period, giving starting time, ending time, number of reboots, and number of date changes. When this option is used, the records of the type found in are read from the specified input. EXAMPLES
These commands are typically used as shown below. The file is created only for the use of commands described by the acctprc(1M) manual entry: or With option: or Note: The file can be either or a file containing records of the type found in WARNINGS
The line usage report is confused by date changes. Use (see fwtmp(1M)) to correct this situation. FILES
SEE ALSO
login(1), acct(1M), acctcms(1M), acctcom(1M), acctmerg(1M), acctprc(1M), acctsh(1M), fwtmp(1M), init(1M), utmpd(1M), runacct(1M), acct(2), getbwent(3C), acct(4), utmp(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
acctcon(1M)