Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Can't play sound files with aplay or cat to /dev/dsp Post 302478999 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of December 2010 10:56:53 AM
Old 12-09-2010
What is your hardware? Be specific, including soundcard or motherboard model, etc. What is your kernel? What is you ALSA version? What does lsmod show? What does ls /sys/module show? Is there anything relevant looking in dmesg ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there kind of good utility that convert make files to dsp?

Hello all im looking for some kind of utility that convert make files to dsp files is there any kind of tool/script that does this job? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Linux

fedora: problem to play mp3 files.

hi friends. i have tried all above option to play mp3 files but i am not able to listen mp3 files. i have tried above option using yum like $ su - # yum install gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg i got a error like Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit Could... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat /dev/null

Hi, Excuse my ignorance here - I'm a networks man and my knowledge of all things unix is somewhat limited. We have a very large file (/var/tmp/mond.log) that we need to zero - does the "cat /dev/null > /var/tmp/mond.log" command achieve this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakydancer
4 Replies

4. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error output of cat to /dev/null

Hello, I'm trying to send the error output of a 'cat' operation to /dev/null like this: cat /dirA/dirB/temp*.log > /dirA/dirB/final.log 2>/dev/null This works perfectly in a terminal, but not when placed in a script. If there are no files matching temp*.log the script outputs an error... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nils88
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Play sound

hi i want to produce digit sounds.for ex: if my input text is four five six then code should able to produce sounds corresponding to digits which are stored in some directory as four.wav,five.wav etc.Please help me (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
8 Replies

7. Debian

How to play avi files Raspberry Pi?

Raspberry Pi B 2014-01-07 Raspbian fully up to date. Installed and configured motion for surveillance. It works just fine and creates .avi files and .jpeg. Installed Mplayer trying to run it from desktop was not successful. I did try to do a command line by executing sudo mplayer... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldcity
6 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How to play video files one after the other continously?

Hi, There are many MP4 files in a folder say 50 files . All these files are video clipping files.Instead of playing the video one by one , is it possible to play all video clipping files into single shot ? Say for example when i play one video file it gets over after sometime and to view... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cmd 'cat /dev/urandom' not closing cleanly

Hi I'm running the following command to generate a random password in a KSH script on a RHEL Linux VM but for some reason the cmd is not being closed and it's causing problems on the host. PASSWORD="$(cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc "a-zA-Z0-9" | fold -w 16 | head -1)Aa0!" The code worked as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
2 Replies
QSound(3qt)															       QSound(3qt)

NAME
QSound - Access to the platform audio facilities SYNOPSIS
#include <qsound.h> Inherits QObject. Public Members QSound ( const QString & filename, QObject * parent = 0, const char * name = 0 ) ~QSound () int loops () const int loopsRemaining () const void setLoops ( int l ) QString fileName () const bool isFinished () const Public Slots void play () void stop () Static Public Members bool isAvailable () void play ( const QString & filename ) bool available () DESCRIPTION
The QSound class provides access to the platform audio facilities. Qt provides the most commonly required audio operation in GUI applications: asynchronously playing a sound file. This is most easily accomplished with a single call: QSound::play("mysounds/bells.wav"); A second API is provided in which a QSound object is created from a sound file and is played later: QSound bells("mysounds/bells.wav"); bells.play(); Sounds played using the second model may use more memory but play more immediately than sounds played using the first model, depending on the underlying platform audio facilities. On Microsoft Windows the underlying multimedia system is used; only WAVE format sound files are supported. On X11 the Network Audio System is used if available, otherwise all operations work silently. NAS supports WAVE and AU files. On Macintosh, ironically, we use QT (QuickTime) for sound, this means all QuickTime formats are supported by Qt/Mac. On Qt/Embedded, a built-in mixing sound server is used, which accesses /dev/dsp directly. Only the WAVE format is supported. The availability of sound can be tested with QSound::isAvailable(). See also Multimedia Classes. MEMBER FUNCTION DOCUMENTATION
QSound::QSound ( const QString & filename, QObject * parent = 0, const char * name = 0 ) Constructs a QSound that can quickly play the sound in a file named filename. This may use more memory than the static play function. The parent and name arguments (default 0) are passed on to the QObject constructor. QSound::~QSound () Destroys the sound object. If the sound is not finished playing stop() is called on it. See also stop() and isFinished(). bool QSound::available () [static] Returns TRUE if sound support is available; otherwise returns FALSE. QString QSound::fileName () const Returns the filename associated with the sound. bool QSound::isAvailable () [static] Returns TRUE if sound facilities exist on the platform; otherwise returns FALSE. An application may choose either to notify the user if sound is crucial to the application or to operate silently without bothering the user. If no sound is available, all QSound operations work silently and quickly. bool QSound::isFinished () const Returns TRUE if the sound has finished playing; otherwise returns FALSE. Warning: On Windows this function always returns TRUE for unlooped sounds. int QSound::loops () const Returns the number of times the sound will play. int QSound::loopsRemaining () const Returns the number of times the sound will loop. This value decreases each time the sound loops. void QSound::play ( const QString & filename ) [static] Plays the sound in a file called filename. Example: sound/sound.cpp. void QSound::play () [slot] This is an overloaded member function, provided for convenience. It behaves essentially like the above function. Starts the sound playing. The function returns immediately. Depending on the platform audio facilities, other sounds may stop or may be mixed with the new sound. The sound can be played again at any time, possibly mixing or replacing previous plays of the sound. void QSound::setLoops ( int l ) Sets the sound to repeat l times when it is played. Passing the value -1 will cause the sound to loop indefinitely. See also loops(). void QSound::stop () [slot] Stops the sound playing. On Windows the current loop will finish if a sound is played in a loop. See also play(). SEE ALSO
http://doc.trolltech.com/qsound.html http://www.trolltech.com/faq/tech.html COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1992-2007 Trolltech ASA, http://www.trolltech.com. See the license file included in the distribution for a complete license statement. AUTHOR
Generated automatically from the source code. BUGS
If you find a bug in Qt, please report it as described in http://doc.trolltech.com/bughowto.html. Good bug reports help us to help you. Thank you. The definitive Qt documentation is provided in HTML format; it is located at $QTDIR/doc/html and can be read using Qt Assistant or with a web browser. This man page is provided as a convenience for those users who prefer man pages, although this format is not officially supported by Trolltech. If you find errors in this manual page, please report them to qt-bugs@trolltech.com. Please include the name of the manual page (qsound.3qt) and the Qt version (3.3.8). Trolltech AS 2 February 2007 QSound(3qt)