Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help identifying the first word in a string Post 302478858 by kazazza on Thursday 9th of December 2010 05:05:42 AM
Old 12-09-2010
Spot on guys, thanks very much for your quick responses, much appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the n-th word in a string

Hi, Suppose I do this: $ wc file.txt 96 333 6629 file.txt and I want to get the 3rd word from the left (i.e. get the string 6629) and check its value. What do I do? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the location of word in a string

How to use instr function in awk ? to get the location a) for example instr('productiondata_12','data',1) to get the location of data using awk. b) for example instr('sampledata_rev_12','rev',1) to get the location of data and reaplce with "org" using awk. can anyone help ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vrgurav
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying a string from a set of files and printing to a new file

Dear All, I'm an amateur to writing scripts and need to do the following Need to read all files with a .log extension in a directory and identify the value for username i.e. all files have something like username = John. Once this is read, I need to print this value to a new file. The new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kelly_B
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word After a string.

Hello Gurus, I have a file which has foll contents scattered: ,TotUnasgndNetAmt FROM DEV_EIS_T.Wkly_SO_CCD_MOSumSnpsht WHERE CalDayRunDt = '2010-07-21' UNION ALL SELECT CalDayRunDt ,BusWkCd ,'N' I want to replace 2010-07-21 that starts after ' and ends before... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_u
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep part of word or Another word from a string

Hi all, FileOne family balance >>>>> 0 0 0 0 java.io.FileNotFoundException: Settings.xml (No such file or directory) at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method) .. .... ..... ..... java.lang.NullPointerException ... ..... ...... Stacktrace: at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a word in a string starting with another word

Hi All, I have a file in which a number of lines are starting with similar first word but different next words. I want to replace the any nth word(not 1st or 2nd) with another word. Eg:- My file contains are like this:- Ram is a boy. Ram is a good boy. Ram plays cricket. Here I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshbaranwal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying entries based on 2 fields in a string.

Hi Guys, I’m struggling to use two fields to do a duplicate/ unique by output. I want to look IP addresses assigned to more than one account during a given period in the logs. So duplicate IP and account > 1 then print all the logs for that IP. I have been Using AWK (just as its installed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wabbit02
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we get the character before and after a word in a string?

Hi friends, I am working in a korn shell. i want to know the command which gives me the previous one character and next one character of a given keyword in a string? for exmaple: input string: /bin/dir/folder1/.proc_name^folderone Keyword: proc_name output : .^ ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a word from a string

Hello All, I have a string like below - /LDCA20/rel/prod/libina.a I want to delete "libina.a" which is at the end.How can I do this ?? Thanks in advance Regards, Anand (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last word of a string?

Hello I have a string that may or may not have 4 dots. The string is actualy a file within a folder, where multiple files are located. Files may look like: # ls * creds: 192.168.10.110 someserver shares: 192.168.10.110.Public someserver.sharefolder # I want to fill 2 variables,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies
rup(1C) 						      Communication Commands							   rup(1C)

NAME
rup - show host status of remote machines (RPC version) SYNOPSIS
rup [-hlt] rup [host]... DESCRIPTION
rup gives a status similar to uptime for remote machines. It broadcasts on the local network, and displays the responses it receives. Normally, the listing is in the order that responses are received, but this order can be changed by specifying one of the options listed below. When host arguments are given, rather than broadcasting rup only queries the list of specified hosts. A remote host will only respond if it is running the rstatd daemon, which is normally started up from inetd(1M). OPTIONS
-h Sort the display alphabetically by host name. -l Sort the display by load average. -t Sort the display by up time. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ruptime(1), inetd(1M), attributes(5) BUGS
Broadcasting does not work through gateways. SunOS 5.11 13 Feb 1991 rup(1C)