Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Problem wih MySQL installation Post 302477857 by ramkrix on Monday 6th of December 2010 02:10:02 PM
Old 12-06-2010
Problem wih MySQL installation

Hi,

I tried installing MySql in my Ubuntu OS in my Laptop with the help of the information in below link

How to Install MySQL in Ubuntu 10.04

The download of required files happened but I dont know there is installation happened or not. Because as mentioned in the above link there is no ROOT password it asked on Installation.

Once after it, I tried executing
Code:
mysql -u root -h localhost -p

And it gave the output as
Code:
ganesh@ubuntu:~$ mysql -u root -h localhost -p
The program 'mysql' can be found in the following packages:
 * mysql-client-core-5.1
 * mysql-client-5.0
 * mysql-cluster-client-5.1
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
ganesh@ubuntu:~$

However if I tried to execute it using sudo installer also and it gave output as

Code:
ganesh@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install mysql-client-core-5.1
[sudo] password for ganesh: 
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
ganesh@ubuntu:~$

On reading some other links from google, they instructed to check on System-> Administration-> Services menu.

But there is no option called "Services" in System -> Administration. I am using Ubuntu 10.04.

How to resolve this problem?
Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mysql installation error using redhat 7.2

i am a newbie to unix admin stuff so bare with me. -- i get this message when executing mysql_install_db during the installation of mysql. what is the cause of this and how can it be fixed. btw - i have tried installing as root and other accounts also. scripts/mysql_install_db:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: theDirtiest
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MySQL problem >> missing mysql.sock

MySQL on my server is down.... I figured out that the mysqld process isn't running. When I try to run it, it says it can't find mysql.sock Any suggestions? Here's what I can't do: can't be root don't have physical access (do stuff via SSH) reinstall MySQL (need to keep the current MySQL... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: _hp_
8 Replies

3. AIX

AIX - MySQL installation help

Hi, I'm facing troubles in installing MySQL on AIX 5.3. After I run make it's getting errors and exiting, few of the errors are pasted below. Please help me to install it succesfully. ld: 0711-235 WARNING: Archive member ../mysys/libmysys.a is not an object file or an import list.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishi
2 Replies

4. Linux

MySQL python installation

Hi I am using CentOS 4 machine..trying to install MySQL for python to setup a boinc project.. During the building process I am getting this error..I have even set the LD_lIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib where the libmysqlclient.so file is present.. ./python -E ./setup.py build ./python: error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gayathrirri
1 Replies

5. SCO

Transfer files wih directory structure.

I need to transfer software off a SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 server. I can not seem to read this server's tape on my other server since the tape drive (IBM Gen 5 DAT 72GB) will continuosly "eject" this DAT 8 tape. I have been able to 'tarball' most of the smaller directories with success and... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxlunatick
11 Replies

6. Red Hat

Apache,php,mysql, and jdk 1.6 update 20 installation on RHEL 5.5

I want to install Apache (version 2.2.X), php (version 5.3.X),mysql (version 5.5.X) on RHEL 5.5. Guide re. site address for download all rpm. X = latest version. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasdaax
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need command for mysql installation

Hi All, I want to install mysql on my server but i dont have root access when i have tried to install this MySQL-client-3.3.15-3.rhel5.x24_74.rpm using the command rpm -ivh MySQL-client-3.3.15-3.rhel5.x24_74.rpm getting error error: can't create transaction lock on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Mysql apache installation

on ubuntu lamp server how to install mysql and apache? any instructions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srinathk
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Mysql installation - Operation not permitted

Hello, Since over one week, I have been consistently searching for a solution to my mysql installation errors. I surfed many sites on google to get rid of the issue. Now google gives me all the same results, I tested many of those solutions provided by... Now I am pulling hair I am under... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
12 Replies
MYSQL_CONFIG(1) 					       MySQL Database System						   MYSQL_CONFIG(1)

NAME
mysql_config - get compile options for compiling clients SYNOPSIS
mysql_config options DESCRIPTION
mysql_config provides you with useful information for compiling your MySQL client and connecting it to MySQL. mysql_config supports the following options. o --cflags Compiler flags to find include files and critical compiler flags and defines used when compiling the libmysqlclient library. The options returned are tied to the specific compiler that was used when the library was created and might clash with the settings for your own compiler. Use --include for more portable options that contain only include paths. o --include Compiler options to find MySQL include files. o --libmysqld-libs, --embedded Libraries and options required to link with the MySQL embedded server. o --libs Libraries and options required to link with the MySQL client library. o --libs_r Libraries and options required to link with the thread-safe MySQL client library. o --plugindir The default plugin directory path name, defined when configuring MySQL. This option was added in MySQL 5.1.24. o --port The default TCP/IP port number, defined when configuring MySQL. o --socket The default Unix socket file, defined when configuring MySQL. o --variable=VAR Path to MySQL include, library and plugin directories. VAR is one of `pkgincludedir`, `pkglibdir` and `plugindir`, respectively. o --version Version number for the MySQL distribution. If you invoke mysql_config with no options, it displays a list of all options that it supports, and their values: shell> mysql_config Usage: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config [options] Options: --cflags [-I/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql -mcpu=pentiumpro] --include [-I/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql] --libs [-L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -L/usr/lib -lssl -lcrypto] --libs_r [-L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient_r -lpthread -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -lpthread] --socket [/tmp/mysql.sock] --port [3306] --version [4.0.16] --libmysqld-libs [-L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql -lmysqld -lpthread -lz -lcrypt -lnsl -lm -lpthread -lrt] You can use mysql_config within a command line to include the value that it displays for a particular option. For example, to compile a MySQL client program, use mysql_config as follows: shell> CFG=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config shell> sh -c "gcc -o progname `$CFG --include` progname.c `$CFG --libs`" When you use mysql_config this way, be sure to invoke it within backtick ("`") characters. That tells the shell to execute it and substitute its output into the surrounding command. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2008 MySQL AB, 2008-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Sun Microsystems, Inc. (http://www.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.1 04/06/2010 MYSQL_CONFIG(1)