Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem using variables in bash script Post 302477629 by programAngel on Monday 6th of December 2010 03:49:18 AM
Old 12-06-2010
problem using variables in bash script

I am using variable to give the location of the file I am using but I get error.
Here is the code:
Code:
LogFile=/tmp/log.email
echo -e "could not close the service - error number $error \n" > $LogFile

well this is not all the code but is enough because the problem start when I try to use the variable.
In this is one example.
Why does it happen and how can I fix it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a hostname and separate into variables

Hi All, I'm trying to concoct a bash script to use with a Puppet Implementation that will accept a hostname and break it down into variables. For example, my hostnames look like this --> machinename-group-building.example.com I'm looking for a way in the script to read until the first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: glarizza
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking high and low variables in a bash script - possible?

Is it possible to have a bash script pick the highest and lowest values of four variables? I've been googling for this but haven't come up with anything. I have a script that assigns variables ($c0, $c1, $c2, and $c3) based on the coretemps from grep/sed statements of sensors. I'd like to also... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables problem - Bash

I have a following problem: #!/bin/bash NUM=`cat accounts | wc -l`; for i in {1..$NUM} do account=`awk "NR==$i" accounts`; echo -e "\nAccount: $account\n"; sudo ./backup_maildir $account; done "accounts" is a file with regular e-mail addresses, one in each line.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobanpetrovic
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Variables for BASH script

Hello, I am new to the whole "scripting" thing. Below is the script that I have so far and where i need the Variables to go (VAR#) #!/bin/bash #Sample Script VAR1= echo "Choose an option: 1) Create a file. 2) Delete a file. 3) Move a file." read VAR1 case $VAR1 in 1) echo "Pick... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eclerget
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script with export variables

Hi all guys, how you can read in thread title, I'm deploying a bash script in which I have to export some variables inside it. But (I think you know) the export command works only inside the script and so, on exit command, the variables aren't set like I set inside the script. Consequently in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with positional variables in BASH

Hello, my problem is simple & I searched a lot but I couldn't find anything about it: Basically I'd like to pass $i to a variable, $i being the positional variable; but it is unknown in the beginning so I can't do it like eg. myvar=$3, it HAS to be the "i".. First, I tried myvar=$($i) ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmyyyyy
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

'Dynamic' setting of variables in bash script

Hi all, I want to dynamically set variables in a bash script. I made a naive attempt in a while loop that hopefully can clarify the idea. n=0; echo "$lst" | while read p; do n=$(($n+1)); p"$n"="$p"; done The error message is: bash: p1=line1: command not found bash: p2=line2: command... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variables and bash script

From the command line: dions-air:scripts dion$ ls -l /Users/dion/Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCX -rw-r--r-- 1 dion staff 157934 7 Jun 06:55 /Users/dion/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCXworks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dionbl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending awk variables into curl in a bash script

Hello experts! I have a file1 with the following format (yr,day, month, hour,minute): 201201132435 201202141210 201304132030 201410100110 ... What i want to do is to assign variables and then use them in the curl command to download the text of each event from a web page. What I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Connecting and changing variables in Bash script

#!/bin/bash X=$(</home/cogiz/computerhand.txt) # (3S 8C 2H 6D QC 8S 4H 5H) Y=$(</home/cogiz/topcardinplay.txt) # KS A=( "${Y::1}" ) B=( "${Y:1}" ) for e in ${X}; do if ]; then # searching for valid cards K,S or 8 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
0 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)