Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to avoid time command output Post 302477579 by selvaka on Sunday 5th of December 2010 10:40:41 PM
Old 12-05-2010
hi robin,

thanks for the input but I suppose you missed the point

i know -h will avoid printing the matching file name

my doubt is after executing is. i will make my question generic

In my shell commmand (csh) when I execute some time consuming command, after the execution of the command

i am getting the output of unix "time" command at the screeen

something like below

1764.561u 804.430s 287:14:27.59 0.2% 0+0k 144+0io 244pf+0w

so my query is how to avoid that ?

thanks,
selva

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I avoid the standard output from kill command

I am sending a kill comand to kill a process inside a SH script but I don`t want the user to notice it so I donīt want the message "1222 killed" to appear. I`ve tried to redirect the standard output to /dev/null 2>&1 and also tried to use "nohup" but none of them was succesfull. Can anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pguinal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

output of the time command ?

can someone tell me the meaning of this commnad, If you want to see a grand total of CPU time for a program when it finishes running, you can use the time command. At the Unix prompt, enter: time java myprog Replace myprog with the name of the program you are running. The following is an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldpathak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to avoid cron job output to send to the junk email folder?

Hi i created a cron job which invoke a shell script and output some content via email. Some times these output are sent to the junk email folder. i want these mails to be sent to inbox with some specific font. what i have to do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Any specific time to reboot the sun server to avoid unplanned outage ??

Hi, Would like to know the uptime or specific time limit to reboot the sun microsystem to avoid unplanned outage. Regards,Tarun (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: taruntan
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect time command output to file (cygwin bash)

I have set up a bash script to run a long list of things that I need to time. I would like to redirect the output of time to a file. I have set it up like, echo "Runtimes for servlet 4, 100K structures" > test_times.txt echo "" >> test_times.txt echo "runs where N=10" >> test_times.txt echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Find command output gives one day before time stamp

Hi All, I am listing the files which are 4 hours older. For this first I have creted a dummy file with the 4 hours before timestamp, then I am using the below find command, find /path/ -type f ! -newer 4_hours_oledr_file -exec ls -lrt {} \; I am getting the files which are older than... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: velava
13 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid single line output from function

I am new to shell scripting and wished to get few things clarified. While calling functions within shell script, output comes out as single line irrespective of the no of echos or newlines I tried within function + the echo -e used to invoke function ( as instructed online) : #!/bin/sh inc() {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RMath
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time field showing Zero in ps command output

F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME COMD 401 S catmgr 5748 5742 0 154 20 e0000006d48cd080 133 e0000003fb6e7200 11:22:32 ? 0:00 /opt/ssh/libexec/sftp-server 3401 R catmgr 5742 5631 0 152 20 e0000005f974fa00 750 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send output of time command to file

I am measuring the time it takes for a wget command to complete. Right now my command is: time wget https://`ifconfig -a | grep '32.29.120' | cut -d: -f2 | cut -d' ' -f1`:8443/primary-rest/shop?brandId=test --header="name: test" --no-check-certificate -o SELF_TEST.log The output I get is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to avoid truncating in ps output ?

Hello, This is Solaris 10 (x86) bash-3.2# cat /etc/release Solaris 10 5/09 s10x_u7wos_08 X86 Copyright 2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Assembled 30 March... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
5 Replies
time(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   time(1)

NAME
time - time a command SYNOPSIS
command utility [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
When a specified command or utility completes execution, prints the elapsed time during the command or utility, the time spent in the sys- tem, and the time spent executing the command or utility. Times are reported in seconds. Execution time can depend on the performance of the memory in which the program is running. The times are printed to standard error. Note that the shell also has a keyword that times an entire pipeline if used anywhere in the pipeline. This action is different than the command which times a particular command if used in a pipeline. Options recognizes the following options: command The command to be executed and timed. Writes the timing statistics to standard error. utility The name of a utility to be invoked and timed. If the utility operand names any of the shell special built-in utilities, the time results are undefined. See csh(1) and ksh(1) for information about special built-in utilities. argument Any string that is an argument to the utility. SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), timex(1), times(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
time(1)