Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ensure file copy is complete before starting process Post 302476647 by vbe on Thursday 2nd of December 2010 07:08:21 AM
Old 12-02-2010
how are you running WinSCP on your linux?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

some process writin file - check if complete

Hi folks... some process is writing a file.... as soon as the process starts the file comes there, and its growin.. now i in another script want to ftp the file. i don't know if the file is complete or not. the process which writes the file is some other application and hence can't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sade
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: wait for process to complete

I'm using PERL on windows NT to try to run an extract of data. I have multiple zip files in multiple locations. I am extracting "*.t" from zip files and subsequently adding that file to one zip file so when the script is complete I should have one zip file with a whole bunch of ".t" files in it. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ensure FTP is complete before using file

Hi, I have a program that checks a directory for new files. A file may be placed in the directory only via FTP from another system. The files are long, the FTP can take several minutes to complete. my program sences that a file has arrived but can't tell if the FTP process that sent it is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ensure the file completion ?

Hi, I would like to copy a file from one location to another. But that particular file is not fully loaded. I like to copy a file once it's fully loaded or complete file. How to ensure whether file is fully loaded or complete file?. -Thambi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
5 Replies

6. IP Networking

A test to ensure TCP/IP configuration is complete

Greetings. I have Debian lenny, and at the moment only the bare bones install, no GUI. I'm connecting via wireless to a Linksys router on a home network, and I manually configured a fixed ip etc during the install. I have not attempted to use any higher level apps such as ftp or telnet or apt yet.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fguy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if some file is in copy process, then transfer it

my user copy large files, and it's take 10min for file to be copied to the server (/tmp/user/ files/), if in the meantime start my scheduled script, then it will copy a part of some file to server1 my idea is to check the file size twice in a short period (1-2 seconds) of time, then compare, if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: waso
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to copy a binary file while the file is being written to by another process

Hello, Can I copy a binary file while the file is being written to by another process? Another process (program) “P1” creates and opens (for writing) binary file “ABC” on local disk. Process P1 continuously write into ABC file every couple of seconds, adding 512-byte blocks of data. ABC file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbuki
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that waits for process to complete

Hello, I am in need of running an executable provided by a vendor that basically syncs files to a db. This tool can only be run against one folder at a time and it cannot have more than one instance running at a time. However, I need to run this tool against multiple folders. Each run of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipertech
5 Replies
cron(1M)                                                  System Administration Commands                                                  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)