Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: get total size of files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers get total size of files Post 302476634 by vbe on Thursday 2nd of December 2010 06:41:40 AM
Old 12-02-2010
You lucky devils with linux...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort files by date, delete oldest, if total size bigger than

hello people i need your help please i want to achieve the following with the simplest, most efficient shell-tools: i have a directory with a lot of files from users. the script should check which partition the dir is on if the partition with the directory is more than 90% full ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scarfake
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find total size for some files?

Hi, I'm newbie to Unix. I'd like to count the total size of those files in my directory by date. For example, files on this period 05/01/08 - 05/31/08. If possible can we count by byte instead of kb. if I use $ du - ks , it will add up all files in the dir. thanks, Helen (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: helen008
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the total file size for certain files per directory

Hi, I am trying to get the total file size for certain files per directory. I am using find /DirectoryPath -name '*.dta' -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '{ print $NF ": " $5 }' > /users/cergun/My\ Documents/dtafiles.txt but this lists all the files in the directories. I need the total... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cergun
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Awk and Array to get total size of files

Hello all, I need to do scripts total up the size in selected extension file for example motion.mov and segmentation.avi is in Label Media. For file info.doc and calc.xls in Label Document. I need output will be like this: count 1 Media,,2 GB count 2 Document,,4 GB My problem is,... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheikh76
16 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for total number of files (and size) across subdirectories?

Hi all... I have a directory called dbrn. This directory contains an unknown number of subdirectories which in turn contain an unknown number of files. What I want to know is: How many files with extention .ABC can be found in /dbrn across all subdirecties, and what is the total size for... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beun
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the total size of all files from a particular date

Hi I have some set of files for a particular date. What is the command that I need to put in for finding the total size of all the files for that particular date. The following command is fetching me the size of all individual files seperately du -h *20101010* 16M file1.20101010 120K... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
10 Replies

8. Solaris

Find the total size of multiple files

If I have a number of files in a directory, for example, test.1 test.2 test.3 abc.1 abc.2 abc.3 and I need to find the total file size of all of the test.* files, I can use du -bc test.* in Linux. However, in Solaris, du does not have the -c option. What can I do in Solaris to get... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnix
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Total size utilizes by the files older than a time span

Through find command I identified the files older that 1 year. I need the overall size utilizes by these 1 year older files. Please share me the command to identify it .Thanks Please post in an adequate technical forum! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sang
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check total files size in hdfs directory?

Is there a way to calculate the total file size of HDFS file directory in GB or MB? I dont want to use du/df command. Without that is there a way HDFS Directory - /test/my_dir (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
1 Replies
VFS_PREOPEN(8)						    System Administration tools 					    VFS_PREOPEN(8)

NAME
vfs_preopen - Hide read latencies for applications reading numbered files SYNOPSIS
vfs objects = preopen DESCRIPTION
This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite. This module assists applications that want to read numbered files in sequence with very strict latency requirements. One area where this happens in video streaming applications that want to read one file per frame. When you use this module, a number of helper processes is started that speculatively open files and read a number of bytes to prime the file system cache, so that later on when the real application's request comes along, no disk access is necessary. This module is stackable. OPTIONS
preopen:names = /pattern/ preopen:names specifies the file name pattern which should trigger the preopen helpers to do their work. We assume that the files are numbered incrementally. So if your file names are numbered FRAME00000.frm FRAME00001.frm and so on you would list them as preopen:names=/FRAME*.frm/ preopen:num_bytes = BYTES Specifies the number of bytes the helpers should speculatively read, defaults to 1. preopen:helpers = NUM-PROCS Number of forked helper processes, defaults to 1. preopen:queuelen = NUM-FILES Number of files that should be speculatively opened. Defaults to the 10 subsequent files. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3.3 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The PREOPEN VFS module was created with contributions from Volker Lendecke and the developers at IBM. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 VFS_PREOPEN(8)