Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting specific text from lines Post 302475598 by malcomex999 on Monday 29th of November 2010 08:51:36 AM
Old 11-29-2010
Code:

awk -F\/ 'NF>2{print $1,$NF}' infile

This User Gave Thanks to malcomex999 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific text from a file

Dear All, I have to extract a a few lines from a log file and I know the starting String and end string(WHich is same ). Is there any simplere way using sed - awk. e.g. from the following file -------------------------------------- Some text Date: 21 Oct 2008 Text to be extracted... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulkav
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific characters from a text file

I'm extremely new to scripting and linux in general, so please bear with me. The class I'm taking gives virtually no instruction at all, and so I'm trying to learn everything off the web. Anyway, I'm trying to extract characters that follow after a specific pattern ( '<B><FONT FACE="Arial">' ) but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livos23
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text out of specific lines

Hi, I have a file like LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:19 THU S5830 FAULT MESSAGE SUPPRESS STATUS LOC : ASP00 STS : SUPPRESSING CONTINUE INF : F6201 TRUNK. DATA FAULT REPORT COMPLETED LAHORE 2009-04-16 16:04:20 THU S8400 ISUP SIGNALLING TRACE -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Text Between Two Unique Lines

Hi all! Im trying to extract a portion of text from a file and put it into a new file. I need all the lines between <Placement> and </Placement> including the Placemark lines themselves. Is there a way to extract all instances of these and not just the first one found? I've tried using sed and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grizzly
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting specific lines from a file

hi all, i searched in unix.com and accquired the following commands for extracting specific lines from a file .. sed -n '16482,16482p' in.sql > out.sql awk 'NR>=10&&NR<=20' in.sql > out.sql.... these commands are working fine if i give the line numbers as such .. but if i pass a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific lines of data from a file and related lines of data based on a grep value range?

Hi, I have one file, say file 1, that has data like below where 19900107 is the date, 19900107 12 144 129 0.7380047 19900108 12 168 129 0.3149017 19900109 12 192 129 3.2766666E-02 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wynner
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Tag along with specific lines

I have this input file: and the desired output is as follows: Desired Output This is a sample taken from a huge file. Basically, the script should take the tag (TDK11..1>) add everything that has bukle=A until it sees the blank lines. Then takes the next tag (TDK2222>) adds everything that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering data -extracting specific lines

I have a table to data which one of the columns include string of text from within that, I am searching to include few lines but not others for example I want to to include some combination of word address such as (address.| address? |the address | your address) but not (ip address | email... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting specific lines from data file

Hello, Is there a quick awk one-liner for this extraction?: file1 49389 text55 52211 text66 file2 59302 text1 49389 text2 85939 text3 52211 text4 13948 text5 Desired output 49389 text2 52211 text4 Thanks!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting data between specific lines, multiple times

I need help extracting specific lines in a text file. The file looks like this: POSITION TOTAL-FORCE (eV/Angst) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1.86126 1.86973 1.86972 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: captainalright
14 Replies
chroot(1M)						  System Administration Commands						chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/chroot newroot command DESCRIPTION
The chroot utility causes command to be executed relative to newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes (/) in the path names is changed to newroot for command and any of its child processes. Upon execution, the initial working directory is newroot. Notice that redirecting the output of command to a file, chroot newroot command >x will create the file x relative to the original root of command, not the new one. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a chroot is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command can be run only by the super-user. RETURN VALUES
The exit status of chroot is the return value of command. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using the chroot Utility The chroot utility provides an easy way to extract tar files (see tar(1)) written with absolute filenames to a different location. It is necessary to copy the shared libraries used by tar (see ldd(1)) to the newroot filesystem. example# mkdir /tmp/lib; cd /lib example# cp ld.so.1 libc.so.1 libcmd.so.1 libdl.so.1 libsec.so.1 /tmp/lib example# cp /usr/bin/tar /tmp example# dd if=/dev/rmt/0 | chroot /tmp tar xvf - ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cd(1), tar(1), chroot(2), ttyname(3C), attributes(5) NOTES
Exercise extreme caution when referencing device files in the new root file system. References by routines such as ttyname(3C) to stdin, stdout, and stderr will find that the device associated with the file descriptor is unknown after chroot is run. SunOS 5.11 15 Dec 2003 chroot(1M)