Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get rid of non-alphanumeric characters Post 302475515 by michaelrozar17 on Monday 29th of November 2010 03:32:46 AM
Old 11-29-2010
this could help...?
Code:
sed 's/[^a-zA-Z0-9_:]/ /g' inputfile

This User Gave Thanks to michaelrozar17 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting rid of control characters

how can i get rid of the control characters , ex. ^M, ^G, in a file? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

get rid of special characters

Hi Friends, we have recently installed RHEL4.4 and when i give the commd ls -l > tt it prints the file name with some special charactes like ^[[00m1 in the begining of the file name and at the end of the file name. I wanted to use the file names of removing it before taking the backup and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vakharia Mahesh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting with non- and alphanumeric characters

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and I'm not a UNIX expert. I can't figure out this certain problem i'm having: I need to sort some words, some of the words are annotations (enclosed within < and >). I need to have them sorted alphabetically with all non-alphanumeric characters up front. For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.m.ang
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help getting rid of bold characters

Hi! So i've got this shell script that asks questions and the user is required to input answers. The answers typed are bold. sh-*.*$ sh filename dir cat question tput bold read ans tput sgr0 ... and so on tput sgr0 exit So when the script ends i don't get the bold characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingzy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of non-numeric and non-characters

I have a database script that always produces the following output: 0 btw, the unwanted character looks like a square on a unix system. it doesn't look like the above quote. how can I get rid of it and only keep the "0"? ---------- Post updated at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous update was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to get rid of ^M characters in a text file using pr?

When I use vi to see what's in the file I get this: int add1(int x) {^M return x + 1;^M} ^Mint subtract1(int x) {^M return x - 1;^M} ^Mint double_it(int x) {^M return x * 2;^M} ^Mint halve_it(int x) {^Mreturn x / 2;^M} ^Mint main() {^M int myint;^M int result;^M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nonito84
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or trim to remove non alphanumeric and alpha characters?

Hi All, I am new to Unix and trying to run some scripting on a linux box. I am trying to remove the non alphanumeric characters and alpha characters from the following line. <measResults>883250 869.898 86432.4 809875.22 804609 60023 59715 </measResults> Desired output is: 883250... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackma
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of abnormal Characters

ok, so i have no clue why this script i wrote spits out these bizarre characters: i cant even copy and paste those characters on here because it just doesn't show up properly. my question is, using sed, how can i get rid of all characters that aren't normal? echo "abnormal characters" |... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting rid of abnormal Characters

i'm grepping for words in the /var/adm/messages (sun solaris). but it looks like while my grepping finds the strings, when it outputs them out, the beginning of some lines are chopped off. Jun 13 14:06:02 sky.net ufs: NOTICE: alloc: /prod: file system full 3 14:39:19 sky.net ufs: NOTICE:... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a string of alphanumeric characters

Hi, I want a script of a code that will allow me to generate all possible combinations of alphanumberica characters of length 12 such that each string will contain numbers and either small or capital letters. For example a string may look like this: 123AB45cd678. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
11 Replies
Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					     Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_UniCharIsAlnum, Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha, Tcl_UniCharIsControl, Tcl_UniCharIsDigit, Tcl_UniCharIsGraph, Tcl_UniCharIsLower, Tcl_UniCharIsPrint, Tcl_UniCharIsPunct, Tcl_UniCharIsSpace, Tcl_UniCharIsUpper, Tcl_UniCharIsWordChar - routines for classification of Tcl_UniChar characters SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> int Tcl_UniCharIsAlnum(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsControl(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsDigit(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsGraph(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsLower(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsPrint(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsPunct(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsSpace(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsUpper(ch) int Tcl_UniCharIsWordChar(ch) ARGUMENTS
int ch (in) The Tcl_UniChar to be examined. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
All of the routines described examine Tcl_UniChars and return a boolean value. A non-zero return value means that the character does belong to the character class associated with the called routine. The rest of this document just describes the character classes associated with the various routines. Note: A Tcl_UniChar is a Unicode character represented as an unsigned, fixed-size quantity. CHARACTER CLASSES
Tcl_UniCharIsAlnum tests if the character is an alphanumeric Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha tests if the character is an alphabetic Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsControl tests if the character is a Unicode control character. Tcl_UniCharIsDigit tests if the character is a numeric Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsGraph tests if the character is any Unicode print character except space. Tcl_UniCharIsLower tests if the character is a lowercase Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsPrint tests if the character is a Unicode print character. Tcl_UniCharIsPunct tests if the character is a Unicode punctuation character. Tcl_UniCharIsSpace tests if the character is a whitespace Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsUpper tests if the character is an uppercase Unicode character. Tcl_UniCharIsWordChar tests if the character is alphanumeric or a connector punctuation mark. KEYWORDS
unicode, classification Tcl 8.1 Tcl_UniCharIsAlpha(3)