Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rsync from partition to partition fastest Post 302475248 by jaysunn on Saturday 27th of November 2010 12:14:15 PM
Old 11-27-2010
@danmero,

Are you suggesting. I use:

Code:
cp -r /path/to/data /path/to/data2

I was worried that the shear amount of data would not work well with cp command.

Note that this is a GFS2 redhat filesystem on 2 separate partitions.
I am getting great speeds now with the rsync - av command.

Not there is no backup for this data so I wish to be as careful as possible.

jaysunn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

partition

How do I create a new Disk partition in HP-unix machine??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chakradharm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

partition

i have a second HD installed on my computer, which came partioned in 3 fragments..how do i get rid of the partitions... i dont know how to use F disk thanks:D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pops
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition

Hi, wondering if anyone can help a self teaching lad out....I want to partition my windows 2000 box and install Redhat 7.2 on it...I know how to get to the disk management section...but how do I make a new partition..I clicked on the icons and read the help but it is very hard to read for some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonas27
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

6. Linux

Partition

Why the hard drive can only have 4 primary partition. If i want do more, what should i do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RaNoNeR
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partition

Hi, Can anyone explain me the concepts of partitioning and mounting in unix. As i am new to unix. Thanks, Manju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kashyap
1 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
gfs2_convert(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   gfs2_convert(8)

NAME
gfs2_convert - Convert a GFS1 filesystem to GFS2 SYNOPSIS
gfs2_convert [OPTION]... DEVICE DESCRIPTION
gfs2_convert is used to convert a filesystem from GFS1 to GFS2. Do not attempt to convert a GFS1 filesystem which is not clean - the process of conversion will reinitialise the journals. We highly recommend that fsck.gfs is run successfully before attempting to convert a filesystem. Many of the on-disk structures are identical between GFS1 and GFS2, so the conversion process updates the journals, a few items of incompatible metadata (mostly indirect pointers and inodes) and adds the per-node directories required by the gfs2meta filesystem. The conversion process is performed in-place and does not require any extra disk space so that it is possible to successfully convert a GFS1 filesystem that is completely full. Always ensure you have a complete backup of the data on any filesystem before starting the conversion process. OPTIONS
-h Help. This prints out the proper command line usage syntax. -q Quiet. Print less information while running. -n No to all questions. -V Print program Version information only. Print out the current version name. -v Verbose operation. Print more information while running. -y Yes to all questions. By specifying this option, gfs2_convert will not prompt before making changes. EXAMPLE
gfs2_convert /dev/vg0/lvol0 This will convert the Global File System on the block device "/dev/vg0/lvol0" to gfs2 format. gfs2_convert(8)