Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order Post 302475117 by Corona688 on Friday 26th of November 2010 01:01:12 PM
Old 11-26-2010
First, let me sincerely thank you for filling out the homework template. You would not believe how many students just can't be bothered...
Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo Username
read i
echo Password
read j

So far so good...
Code:
Username=$i":"$j

Works, but may break on spaces. Better and less awkward as Username="${i}:${j}"

Code:
valid=`grep -n $Username /$HOME/PhaseTest/userinfo | wc -l`

• You don't need to check what grep prints, you can just check it's return value. It's silent, you don't see it, but all programs have one. Zero means success, nonzero means error.
  • You should put a ^ at the beginning of the pattern, and a $ at the end, to make sure grep has to match the entire and not just part of it.
  • Short form for /${HOME}/ is ~/
Code:
# -q means "quiet", preventing grep from printing anything.
# The ! is a boolean 'not', so the if statement only runs if grep fails to find it.
if ! grep -q "^${Username}\$" ~/PhraseTest/userinfo
then
        echo "Invalid user"
        exit 1
fi

echo "********Welcome to Grounoch Marx University********"

I need to see what the question file looks like to offer further suggestions.

Last edited by Corona688; 11-26-2010 at 02:11 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C questions

What does "extern" do? ex. extern int x; and another question, what about using static in functions? like: static void foo(), why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Esaia
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

questions

Dear Guys , I have some Questions , i need to have answeres for . 1. now if i took a back up for /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow , like simple copy .. and Install a new system , and paste those two files to the new system ... are the passwords and user info. going to work ?? is it posibble ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamemi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

few questions

hi , i have got few questions 1) i created a file "-myfile" .how can i remove this?what command shud i issue 2) i used echo "TODAYS DATE" ; DATE..........but date is comoing in second line..how can i make it come in single line? 3) how can i list all files in a directory using for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
5 Replies

4. AIX

Basic AIX Print Queue Questions

Morning, All I've been doing some work on AIX print queues, troubleshooting some underlying issues we've been having. In the process of this I've uncovered some potential gaps in our knowledge. Our typical setup is remote impact printers (In this case OKIML5520s, with NICs) and local queues... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
0 Replies

5. Programming

Reading special characters while converting sequential file to line sequential

We have to convert a sequential file to a 80 char line sequential file (HP UX platform).The sequential file contains special characters. which after conversion of the file to line sequential are getting coverted into "new line" or "tab" and file is getting distorted. Is there any way to read these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajeshsu
2 Replies

6. Programming

A few C questions

Hi guys. I'm writing a basic script in C# and there's a few areas where I am stuck, and I was wondering if you may be able to help me? 1) Can you embed an image into the source code so it will show in the windows GUI? 2) Can you change the background of the GUI? 3) How do you add an .ico to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
5 Replies

7. Programming

C++ questions

1.) Let's say I have a list: apple1, apple2, apple3, apple4, apple5 Does anyone know how to display the txt file using c++? Does anyone know how to insert apple6 into the text file using link list and show the whole list including apple6? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bscot008
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi questions

Hello, I would like to know how we can highlight/select a section of a file in vi and delete that section if we don't want to use the dd command to delete one line at at time. There is one where we don't want to delete the whole line , but up to a certain word. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print missing and keep sequential ordering if not found

The below awk in bold will look for the ids in file1 in $2 of file2 and if they match print the line in file2. If an id is missing or not found in file2 (like BMPR2 in line4 of file1) I can not figure out how to add it to them to the lines in the output as missing in $3 following the same format.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies