Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Line & File Manipulation - add spaces between characters Post 302475011 by birei on Friday 26th of November 2010 07:27:36 AM
Old 11-26-2010
Hi,

Another solution
:
Code:
$ perl -ne '@chl = unpack("A1A1A1A1A4A2A2A3A3A2A2", $_); $, = " "; $\ = "\n";  print(@chl);' RegionalData 

Regards,
Birei

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

finding & replacing blank rows/spaces in a file

Can anyone help me find and replace blank rows in a file with a numeric value (ie blankrow=someTxtOrNumValue), the file is over 500,000 rows long so it would need to be the quickest way as I'll need to do this for multiple files...I would be greatfull for any suggestions....thanks sample file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to add 1000 spaces to end of line

hi, could anyone tell me the command to append spaces at the end of the line. for example, i need 1000 spaces after the word "helloworld" echo "helloworld " i need to achieve this in someother way hardcoding 1000 spaces is not practical. as i am totally new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithacs
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add spaces between Characters

I need to add spaces in between characters in a string variable. Is there a shortcut? I know you can remove the spaces with sed, but does sed have a way to add them? Example: I have: DATA01 I want it to be: D A T A 0 1 What I have done so far is to create a function... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyindy06
4 Replies

4. Solaris

removing special characters, white spaces from a field in a file

what my code is doing, it is executing a sql file and the resullset of the query is getting stored in the text file in a fixed format. for that fixed format i have used the following code:: Code: awk -F":"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK file read & manipulation

I have large number of data files, close to 300 files, lets say all files are same kind and have extension .dat , each file have mulitple lines in it. There is a unique line in each file containing string 'SERVER'. Right after this line there is another line which contain a string 'DIGIT=0',... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sal_tx
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single/Multiple Line with Special characters - Find & Replace in Unix Script

Hi, I am creating a script to do a find and replace single/multiple lines in a file with any number of lines. I have written a logic in a script that reads a reference file say "findrep" and populates two variables $FIND and $REPLACE print $FIND gives Hi How r $u Rahul() Note:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sarnayak
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace new line with <br /> & escape special characters

Hi, I wish to replace a new line with br (html) but it doesn't seem to work message=$(echo ${FORM_message} | tr '\r' '<br \/>' ) what it gives me seems to be ... b...? I am also having problem escaping hash sign in cut command: list=$(echo "$line" | cut -d'\#;\#' -f1) ; my intention is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ted_chou12
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse configuration file & add line in particular section

Greetings, I recently built a replicated DRBD, Heartbeat, & iSCSI Target Initiator storage server on Ubuntu 10.04 to offer shared storage to server Vmware ESX and Microsoft Clusters. Everything works flawlessly, however I wanted to make a script to create, remove, grow volumes to offer ESX... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aeudian
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)