Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to insert text after a block of text? Post 302472824 by dragon.1431 on Thursday 18th of November 2010 08:01:01 AM
Old 11-18-2010
something like this:

run.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sed -e "s/^>>>*/$1/" $2

run as:
Code:
run.sh hellohello infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Text With Sed

Hello. Trying to insert text at line 1 and after last line of file. I have searched posts but nothing seems to work. I keep getting extra characters error or nothing gets inserted into the file. #!/bin/sh touch textfile.txt sed 'i\ Add this line before every line with WORD' textfile.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveramsey
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text between delimiter

Can someone help me on this? I'm creating an Insert stmt script but Oracle does not accept blanks values. How can I insert the word null between two commas? I'm guessing awk or sed. Is there a good post or site with easy to understand info on awk and sed? I'm really new to unix scripts :D ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ystee
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Text On file

Hi All, Can someone pls help me to insert some text on a file. my file contains something like below.. AKBULBU, BALUMIL, BATCH,BATCH BOARROB, BOTAKAT, C57896, CAKIOZE, CHECMER, CICOFRA, CISZPAW,2194485 I want output as USER_ID, LOGIN_ID (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text below other text

I need help in bash. This is the problem I have a php file that I edit, add a line under another. PHP file: <select name="RecPerPage" id="RecPerPage" onchange="this.form.submit();" class="phpmaker"> <option value="50">Select version</option> </select> I need insert "<option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Again: Insert text below other text

I need help with this please: I have this text: <li><a href="login.php">Ingresar</a> and I need insert this text below: <li><a href="http://localhost/dummysila/">anything<a></li> help please! Note: all this with bash....command sed I think.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Block of Text into a File After a Ranged Search

Hello, I've been racking my brain trying to find a good way to accomplish a task. I need to insert a block of text into a file in the format of FirewallRuleSet proxy-users { FirewallRule allow to 0.0.0.0/0 } I need to insert this block of text (which could have sed special... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0xception
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert text with sed ?

Hi I was wondering if anyone new of a solution to this problem? I need to copy a time stamp that is on a line of .text in a text file into multiple positions on the same line. I need to insert the time stamp on the same line between every occurance of the text ".pdf_.html" right after the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text within a file?

Hi, I am trying to check for missing dates in a file and would want to insert the missing date into the file. Currently the script is as below #!/bin/ksh dates="dates" cat ${dates} | grep -v "^#" curr_month=`date '+%m` curr_day=`date '+%d` curr_year=`date '+%Y` #curr_month=02... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies
updfstab(8)							   Red Hat Linux						       updfstab(8)

NAME
updfstab - update /etc/fstab to reflect removable devices SYNOPSIS
updfstab [-nt] [--usage] DESCRIPTION
updfstab is designed to keep /etc/fstab consistent with the devices plugged into your system. It looks for devices such as cdroms, zip and jaz drives, ls120 drives, and digital cameras on the SCSI and IDE buses. USB devices look like SCSI devices to user space, so those are supported as well, but are only added if they are currently attached to the system (having a scsi device assigned to them is not suffi- cient). Devices which updfstab adds to /etc/fstab are marked with the kudzu mount option to distinguish them from other devices. updfstab will not remove devices from /etc/fstab unless they are marked with the kudzu mount option. It also ignores devices that are already listed in /etc/fstab, or which have multiple partitions on the media currently inserted. OPTIONS
-c,--config=path Use the configuration specified by path, rather then /etc/updfstab.conf. -n,--normalize Normally, updfstab tries to touch /etc/fstab as little as possible. When this option is given, it will instead move all of the devices with the kudzu mount option to the end of the file, and will list the devices in the same order the internal probe returns. -t,--test When this option is specified, updstab does not update the /etc/fstab file. Instead, it displays the fstab entries it would use to standard out. If no changes need to be made, it outputs the string (nothing to do) rather then a full filesystem table. CONFIGURATION
The devices updfstab looks for are specified by its configuration file, /etc/updfstab.conf by default. It defines a number of devices which updfstab looks for on the system, along with various attributes of that device. If a single device name is given multiple times, later val- ues override those given earlier. However, match directives accumulate; all specified matches remain in effect for that device. The default value of flags may be changed by specifying a new value for that flag outside of any device section, which changes the default for all future devices. A simple configuration file looks like this: # sample updfstab configuration file symlink false device cdrom { symlink true match cdrom } device zip { match hd zip match floppy "zip" } Here two devices are specified, cdrom and zip. If a cdrom device is found on the system, a /dev/cdrom is created pointing to the /dev entry for the device, and /mnt/cdrom is added to /etc/fstab. The next entry looks for hard drive devices with zip in their description as well as floppy devices with zip in their description. If either is found /mnt/zip is added to /etc/fstab, but no symlink is created. Here is the complete list of directives which may be used: device name Set attributes for device name name. The name is used in the /etc/fstab entry and for any symbolic links which are created. include path Parsing of the current configuration file is stopped, and the file specified by path is read for current configuration information. Multiple include directives may be given, but they may not appear inside of device sections. match class string This directive adds a new rule for this device type; devices found on the system which match this rule are considered a device of the type whose section the match directive appears in. The class must be cdrom, floppy, or hd. If string appears, it must be a sub- string of the physical device's description for the rule to match. nofstab val If val is true, updfstab does not add a mount entry to /etc/fstab. This is mainly useful in conjunction with symlink. partition num Specifies a default partition number which should be mounted from this device. If 0 is used, no partition number appears. updfstab always scans /proc/partitions for the proper partition number before relying on this value. skip val The device entry is skipped. This lets a configuration file undefine a device that was defined earlier (such as in an included file). val should be true or false. symlink val If val is true, updfstab creates a symbolic link in the /dev directory pointing to the actual device. This symbolic link is then used in /etc/fstab. FILES
/etc/fstab /etc/updfstab.conf /proc/partitions SEE ALSO
kudzu(1) AUTHORS
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc. 29 Jan 2003 updfstab(8)