Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to write to a file within a loop Post 302471790 by jsmithstl on Monday 15th of November 2010 06:54:25 AM
Old 11-15-2010
Put a "set -x" before fname=$1 and when you execute the script,
it will show you the result of each command.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/sh

set -x

fname=$1
echo $fname

Code:
./blah.sh myfile.dat
+ fname=myfile.dat
+ echo myfile.dat
myfile.dat

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through file and write out lines to file(s)

Hi, I am new to ksh scripting so your help will be much appreciated. I have a file called file.txt which looks like this Header 20050702 20050703 ABC DEF Header 20050703 20050704 123 456 Header 20050704 20050705 XXX YYY What I am trying to do is write out each of the record... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jtrinh
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to write a script to loop through a port info file

Below is part of a script i have written to loop through part of a port info file. How do i continue the script to get info for OS Device Name, manufacturer and then put information into an array? HBA Port WWN: 10000000c9420b4b OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c10 Manufacturer: Emulex... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcon1
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed .. Unable to write the data to new file after matching the pattern

Hi, i am pretty new to Unix environment ..... Can i get some help from any of you guyz on writing Unix script. my requirement is like reading a csv file, finding a specific pattern in the lines and repalce the string with new string and write it to another file. My file is file ABC123.dat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant_jsw
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Push records to array during implicit loop and write to file

NEWBIE ALERT! Hi, I'm 1 month into learning Perl and done reading "Minimal Perl" by Tim Maher (which I enjoyed enoumously). I'm not a programmer by profession but want to use Perl to automate various tasks at my job. I have a problem (obviously) and are looking for your much appreciated help.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jospan
0 Replies

5. Programming

unable to send read and write serial port

hey frns pls help me out !! i hav a code of c that i have to include in my project. i am using a device (geomeda) that has unix based OS. it also support SIM card for connecting to server . I need to send SMS to user from this device.. below code is not working .. i am unable to send sms and the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashwantkumar
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

Unable to write files on a filesystem

hi mounted filesystem is 50% and appropriate permissions were there but im still unable to write files ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshz
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to write to a mounted NFS share

Hi All, I created a nfs share in the server(Solaris 10) with the following command and also updated the dfstab file share -F nfs -o rw=server_name2,anon=0 /to_share And then in the client(solaris 10) added the following command to mount the share mount -F nfs server_name1:/to_share... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write a while loop inside for loop?

I'm taking a unix class and need to countdown to 0 from whatever number the user inputs. I know how to do this with a while or until loop but using the for loop is throwing me off.... I know I can use an if-then statement in my for loop but can I include a while loop in my for loop? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxhieixx
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to compare to a previous value of a variable in a while loop for a file

Hello All, I'm working on a script that will actually read a file consisting of data like the below:(ReportID,Sub_reportID,Sub_reportName) 1,1,ABC 1,2,DEF 1,3,GHI 2,1,JKL 2,2,MNO 3,1,PQR I want to read the Sub Report details for a Report_ID using while loop and write these values into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat_reddy
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

Unable to write to NFS mounted directory

Hi, I have exported a few nfs mounts from one server to the nfs clients. This is my nfs server dfstab : # cat /etc/dfs/dfstab # place share(1M) commands here for automatic execution # on entering init state 3. # # share <pathname> # .e.g, # share -F... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies
TPAGE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  TPAGE(1)

NAME
Template::Tools::tpage - Process templates from command line USAGE
tpage [ --define var=value ] file(s) DESCRIPTION
The tpage script is a simple wrapper around the Template Toolkit processor. Files specified by name on the command line are processed in turn by the template processor and the resulting output is sent to STDOUT and can be redirected accordingly. e.g. tpage myfile > myfile.out tpage header myfile footer > myfile.html If no file names are specified on the command line then tpage will read STDIN for input. The "--define" option can be used to set the values of template variables. e.g. tpage --define author="Andy Wardley" skeleton.pm > MyModule.pm See Template for general information about the Perl Template Toolkit and the template language and features. AUTHOR
Andy Wardley <abw@wardley.org> <http://wardley.org/> VERSION
2.68, distributed as part of the Template Toolkit version 2.19, released on 27 April 2007. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
ttree perl v5.16.3 2012-01-13 TPAGE(1)