Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help on touch command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help on touch command Post 302471185 by methyl on Friday 12th of November 2010 07:04:22 AM
Old 11-12-2010
Hmm, is the clock wrong on your server?
What is the output from:
Code:
date

More thoughts.
I don't know of a mainstream "ls" which outputs leading zeros on a day number "Oct 05 2010".
What Operating System and version are you running?
What did you type to display the sample directory listings?

Last edited by methyl; 11-12-2010 at 08:34 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of Touch Command

HI all, I am wrkin on HP Unix .. can any1 let me know da usage of Touch command in shell scripting (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravi.sadani19
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command 'touch -c file/dir'

Dear expert, what is this command touch -c filename using for? I find if execute and filename is existed, it update the date to now. If the filename is not exeisted, it don't create the file.. so what is this command using for? Thank a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zp523444
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command

hello everyone i am new to this forum and was wondering if you all could help me out.... i am looking for a touch command that can touch directories as well as files that does not involve sygwin... any and all help would be appreiciated :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: OrthoProof USA
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reverse of touch command

If touch command sets the modification and access times of files to the current time of day, is there a command that could do the reverse of this? Say change the access times of files to an earlier time or date? Say I have this file: HOME> ls -l -rw-rw-r-- 1 orbix orbix 886 May... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Orbix
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command help

Hi, This might be the stupidest question ever but here it goes, i need to create a file with the name Hello! It's $s It using the touch command but whenever i use touch 'Hello! It's $s' i get s is undefined touch Hello! It's $s i get ' unmatched Please help ^_^ (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wsn
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the timestamp using touch command

Can any one provide answer for the below 3 requirements, 1. file.txt grep "name" file.txt > file1.txt rm -f file.txt mv file1.txt file.txt as per abov, a pattern grepped in file.txt and the content moved to again file.txt My need is i want the timestamp of file.txt before chaning and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsam
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

touch command

Is there a way to do... touch ./config/newdir/newfile if neither newdir and newfile exists? man touch tells me there's not (?) Is out there another tool to do that? Thx in advance! :b: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: funyotros
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with touch command

Hi, I have a touch command in my script which creates / updates a file TODAY. Then i try to find the list of files which are newer than this TODAY file. touch `date '+%m%d'`0000 TODAY cd /auto/users-35/p494856/learning/filetransfer/ find . -name "*csv" -newer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using touch command in ftp

hi , I am transferring files from one unix server to another, after transfer of a file i want to touch the same file name in another directory in the destination server. How can i touch a file when i am in ftp prompt on the source server. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick1982
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Touch Command

Hello, I am trying to use touch command to create 1200 .txt files. I am using this, but it is not working. touch `seq 1 1200`.txt Regards, Siddhesh.K (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
5 Replies
TOUCH(3)								 1								  TOUCH(3)

touch - Sets access and modification time of file

SYNOPSIS
bool touch (string $filename, [int $time = time()], [int $atime]) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to set the access and modification times of the file named in the $filename parameter to the value given in $time. Note that the access time is always modified, regardless of the number of parameters. If the file does not exist, it will be created. PARAMETERS
o $filename - The name of the file being touched. o $time - The touch time. If $time is not supplied, the current system time is used. o $atime - If present, the access time of the given filename is set to the value of $atime. Otherwise, it is set to the value passed to the $time parameter. If neither are present, the current system time is used. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | It became possible to change the modification | | | time of a directory under Windows. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 touch(3) example <?php if (touch($filename)) { echo $filename . ' modification time has been changed to present time'; } else { echo 'Sorry, could not change modification time of ' . $filename; } ?> Example #2 touch(3) using the $time parameter <?php // This is the touch time, we'll set it to one hour in the past. $time = time() - 3600; // Touch the file if (!touch('some_file.txt', $time)) { echo 'Whoops, something went wrong...'; } else { echo 'Touched file with success'; } ?> NOTES
Note Note that time resolution may differ from one file system to another. Warning Prior to PHP 5.3.0 it was not possible to change the modification time of a directory with this function under Windows. PHP Documentation Group TOUCH(3)