Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Unrecognized disk label of a external HD Post 302471136 by cokedude on Friday 12th of November 2010 04:57:37 AM
Old 11-12-2010
I also get this message when I try to mount the HD. I tried with and without the force option.

Code:
~ $ sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb /media/hd-ntfs -o force
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sdb' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

~ $ sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb /media/hd-ntfs
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sdb' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

---------- Post updated at 04:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Might be that the disk label has not been initialized yet. Is this a new disk, or has it been used before? If it's already been used: under which OS and version?
It has a NTFS partition. I use it in both windows xp and Linux Mint which is very similar to Ubuntu.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described

:confused: Hello, In my Solaris system, I want to resize my mounted home directory slice. 1.I unmount the slice, #umount /export/home 2.Resize the directory #format>partition> 3.#format>label 4.#format>Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described. So, How can label ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Warning: No Disk Label

Hi Fellows, I am trying to mirror 2 identical disks on a SUN Ultra 10 machines (with new installation of Solaris 8). In the process, I found 2 issues: 1. prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Result: Disk partitions between the 2 disks do not match up. 2. manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: o51974
2 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS disk label missing

I 'm having problem in importing a zfs pool was getting error device missing and upon further digging found that labels on my disk for zpool are missing Does anyone know how to recover from it ? root@essapl020-u006 # zdb -l /dev/dsk/emcpower0c --------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a disk label?

Hi there, I'm wondering how to display a disk label (why not edit it but I don't need that yet). I found several commands on forums like disklabel and diskinfo but I can't find them on my system and don't know the package they belong to. Can you help me? Cheers Santiago (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

label a slice on disk erorr

Hi there, I am trying to do root volume mirroring on SunFire V210 server. I have two disks in it.First one is c1t0do and second one is c1t1do. Both disks already have partitions in them so I am deleting the partitions of second disk(c1t1do) using format command and selecting cylinder start 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbi8321
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Script to label a disk

Hi Guys, Do you have any script to label a disk automatically. It is part of my script but I am not able to find solution to label this inside script without user intervention. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
2 Replies

8. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Expert Recovery Shell - Fatal Error: Unrecognized disk layout

I have a B.11.31 U ia64 system where I swremove the disk driver "SerialSCSI-00 B.11.31.1303 PCI-X/PCI-E SerialSCSI" (by mistake). afterwards the system won;t boot because of the missing disk drivers. I'm trying to recover my kernel by using the image HP-ux_11_31_disc_1.iso Run an Expert... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: black_fender
1 Replies

10. SCO

Unsuccessful install due to unrecognized disk issue

Dear Community! i try to instaled the sco 6 in hp proliant ML350g8 but unsucces, the trouble when i do instaled it undetected hardisk please help me :(:o (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnr
7 Replies
jfs_tune(8)						  Set JFS file system parameters.					       jfs_tune(8)

NAME
jfs_tune - adjust tunable file system parameters on JFS SYNOPSIS
jfs_tune [options] device DESCRIPTION
jfs_tune adjusts tunable parameters on a Linux JFS file system or external journal. jfs_tune must be run as root. device is the special file name corresponding to the actual device (e.g. /dev/hdb1) on which a JFS file system or JFS external journal has been created. OPTIONS
-J device=external-journal Attach the JFS external journal located on external-journal to the JFS file system on device. The external journal must already have been created using the command. More than one file system may share the same external jour- nal. mkfs.jfs -J journal_dev external-journal Attach the external journal to the file system by using the command jfs_tune -J device=external-journal device Instead of specifying a device name directly, external-journal can also be specified by either LABEL=label or UUID=UUID (Use jfs_tune -l device to display a journal device's volume label and UUID.) -l List the contents of the JFS file system or external journal superblock that resides on device. -L volume-label Set the volume label of the JFS file system or external journal. JFS labels can be at most 16 characters long; if volume-label is longer than 16 characters, jfs_tune will truncate it and print a warning. The volume label can be used by mount(8), fsck(8), and /etc/fstab(5) (and possibly others) by specifying LABEL=volume_label instead of a block special device name like /dev/hda5. -U UUID Set the universally unique identifier (UUID) of the file system or external journal device to UUID. The format of the UUID is a series of hex digits separated by hyphens, like this: "c1b9d5a2-f162-11cf-9ece-0020afc76f16". The UUID parameter may also be one of the following: clear clear the file system UUID random generate a new randomly-generated UUID time generate a new time-based UUID The UUID may be used by mount(8), fsck(8), and /etc/fstab(5) (and possibly others) by specifying UUID=uuid instead of a block spe- cial device name like /dev/hda1. See uuidgen(8) for more information. -V Print version information and exit (regardless of any other chosen options). EXAMPLES
Set a randomly-generated UUID for the JFS file system on the 3rd partition of the 2nd hard disk, and view the resultant superblock: jfs_tune -l -U random /dev/hdb3 Attach an already existing external journal on a device labeled JFSLog to a JFS file system on /dev/hda8: jfs_tune -J device=LABEL=JFSLog /dev/hda8 REPORTING BUGS
If you find a bug in JFS or jfs_tune, please report it via the bug tracking system ("Report Bugs" section) of the JFS project web site: http://jfs.sourceforge.net/ Please send as much pertinent information as possible including any error messages resulting from running jfs_tune. SEE ALSO
jfs_fsck(8), jfs_mkfs(8), jfs_fscklog(8), jfs_logdump(8), jfs_debugfs(8) AUTHOR
Barry Arndt (barndt@us.ibm.com) jfs_tune is maintained by IBM. See the JFS project web site for more details: http://jfs.sourceforge.net/ October 28, 2002 jfs_tune(8)