Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Unrecognized disk label of a external HD Post 302471125 by cokedude on Friday 12th of November 2010 04:35:49 AM
Old 11-12-2010
Unrecognized disk label of a external HD

I have a external HD that I can't seem to open. When I try to open it with gparted it says unrecognized disk. When I run gparted from the terminal this is what it says.

Code:
~ $ sudo gparted
======================
libparted : 2.2
======================
/dev/sdb: unrecognised disk label

When I run the fdisk command this is what it says.

Code:
~ $ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 100.0 GB, 100030242816 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12161 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000c8b89

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1        1245     9999360   83  Linux
/dev/sda2            1246        5478    33998849    5  Extended
/dev/sda3   *        5479       12161    53681197+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda5            1246        1743     3998720   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6            1744        5478    29999104   83  Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 203.9 GB, 203928109056 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 24792 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described

:confused: Hello, In my Solaris system, I want to resize my mounted home directory slice. 1.I unmount the slice, #umount /export/home 2.Resize the directory #format>partition> 3.#format>label 4.#format>Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described. So, How can label ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Warning: No Disk Label

Hi Fellows, I am trying to mirror 2 identical disks on a SUN Ultra 10 machines (with new installation of Solaris 8). In the process, I found 2 issues: 1. prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Result: Disk partitions between the 2 disks do not match up. 2. manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: o51974
2 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS disk label missing

I 'm having problem in importing a zfs pool was getting error device missing and upon further digging found that labels on my disk for zpool are missing Does anyone know how to recover from it ? root@essapl020-u006 # zdb -l /dev/dsk/emcpower0c --------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a disk label?

Hi there, I'm wondering how to display a disk label (why not edit it but I don't need that yet). I found several commands on forums like disklabel and diskinfo but I can't find them on my system and don't know the package they belong to. Can you help me? Cheers Santiago (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

label a slice on disk erorr

Hi there, I am trying to do root volume mirroring on SunFire V210 server. I have two disks in it.First one is c1t0do and second one is c1t1do. Both disks already have partitions in them so I am deleting the partitions of second disk(c1t1do) using format command and selecting cylinder start 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbi8321
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Script to label a disk

Hi Guys, Do you have any script to label a disk automatically. It is part of my script but I am not able to find solution to label this inside script without user intervention. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
2 Replies

8. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Expert Recovery Shell - Fatal Error: Unrecognized disk layout

I have a B.11.31 U ia64 system where I swremove the disk driver "SerialSCSI-00 B.11.31.1303 PCI-X/PCI-E SerialSCSI" (by mistake). afterwards the system won;t boot because of the missing disk drivers. I'm trying to recover my kernel by using the image HP-ux_11_31_disc_1.iso Run an Expert... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: black_fender
1 Replies

10. SCO

Unsuccessful install due to unrecognized disk issue

Dear Community! i try to instaled the sco 6 in hp proliant ML350g8 but unsucces, the trouble when i do instaled it undetected hardisk please help me :(:o (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnr
7 Replies
MBRLABEL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       MBRLABEL(8)

NAME
mbrlabel -- update disk label from MBR label(s) SYNOPSIS
mbrlabel [-fqrw] [-s sector] device DESCRIPTION
mbrlabel is used to update a NetBSD disk label from the Master Boot Record (MBR) label(s) found on disks that were previously used on DOS/Windows systems (or other MBR using systems). mbrlabel scans the MBR contained in the very first block of the disk (or the block specified through the -s flag), then walks through every extended partition found and generates additional partition entries for the disk from the MBRs found in those extended partitions. Each MBR partition which does not have an equivalent partition in the disk label (equivalent in having the same size and offset) is added to the first free partition slot in the disk label. A free partition slot is defined as one with an fstype of 'unused' and a size of zero ('0'). If there are not enough free slots in the disk label, a warning will be issued. The raw partition (typically partition c, but d on i386 and some other platforms) is left alone during this process. By default, the proposed changed disk label will be displayed and no disk label update will occur. Available options: -f Force an update, even if there has been no change. -q Performs operations in a quiet fashion. -r In conjunction with -w, also update the on-disk label. -s sector Specifies the logical sector number that has to be read from the disk in order to find the MBR. Useful if the disk has remapping drivers on it and the MBR is located in a non-standard place. Defaults to 0. -w Update the in-core label if it has been changed. See also -r. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), dkctl(8), fdisk(8), mbr(8) HISTORY
The mbrlabel command appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
April 5, 2010 BSD