Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming creating a message queue using mq_open Post 302471089 by parusasi on Friday 12th of November 2010 12:38:18 AM
Old 11-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loic Domaigne
Yeah, now I understand your problem. How do you check that the error returned by mq_open() ? On which OS do you see this problem?
Thank you for time,
I am giving below the code snippet which i use.
Code:
oflags = 0;
  oflags |= (Flags & MQ_READ)?(O_RDONLY):(0);
  oflags |= (Flags & MQ_WRITE)?(O_WRONLY):(0);
  oflags |= (Flags & MQ_READ_WRITE)?(O_RDWR):(0);
  oflags |= (Flags & MQ_NON_BLOCKING)?(O_NONBLOCK):(0);
  oflags |= (O_CREAT | O_EXCL); // try to create it first
  mqAttr.mq_maxmsg = maxMsg;
  mqAttr.mq_msgsize = msgSz + sizeof(MSG_Q_HEADER);

if ((fileDesc = mq_open( "/iothreadNewTest435", oflags,(S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR),NULL)) == -1 )
  {
    rc = mqEvalErrnoOpen(pName))

}

mqEvalErrnoOpen( const char * pName )
{
 MQ_RC rc;
 int err = 0;

switch ( errno )
  {
  case EACCES:
    rc = MQ_INVALID_ACCESS;
    break;

case EEXIST:
    rc = MQ_ALREADY_EXISTS;
    break;

case EFAULT:
    rc = MQ_INVALID_ADDRESS;
    break;

case EINVAL:
    rc = MQ_INVALID_ACCESS;
    break;

case EMFILE:
    rc = MQ_TOO_MANY_MSG_Q_DESC;
    break;

case ENAMETOOLONG:
    rc = MQ_NAME_TOO_LONG;
    break;

case ENFILE:
    rc = MQ_TOO_MANY_MSG_Q_DESC;
    break;

case ENOENT:
    rc = MQ_QUEUE_NOT_PRESENT;
    break;

case ENOMEM:
    rc = MQ_INSUFFICIENT_MEMORY;
    break;

case ENOSPC:
    rc = MQ_INSUFFICIENT_MEMORY;
    break;

case ENOTSUP:
    rc = MQ_NOT_SUPPORTED_CHECKPOINT_RESTART_PROC;
    break;

default:
    rc = MQ_ERRNO;
    err = errno;
    break;
  }

Here rc is returning a value MQ_INVALID Address.
My os details are as follows Fedora Sulphur
Code:
Linux myMachine 2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Thu May 1 06:28:41 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Please help me with this,
Thanks again,
Paru.

Last edited by Scott; 11-15-2010 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix message Queue

Hi, I am working closly with unix message queues i have encountered the following - after creating the Q and start working with it (pushing & pulling) i receive the following stange parameters on the q's - STIME=no_entry Qnum=0 CBYTES=4140 when this happens, the Q is disabled (meaning i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kel
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

error mq_open message queue

Hello, J work on a HP. I want to create message queue by using mq_open with this parameters: mq_open(p,O_CREAT|O_WRONLY|O_EXCL|0_NONBLOCK,0600,&queue_attr) with p char and the function returns the value -1 and errno equal 2. can you help me ? Thank. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AUBERT
3 Replies

3. Programming

Message Queue with fork() help

hi all... ive been trying this program where i spawn 4 threads... and i am trying to use message queue to send msgs from 3 of the threads to the parent thread... but it doent seem to be working... ive almost pulled out my hair tryin to fix the prob :confused: another wierd thing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strider
1 Replies

4. Programming

message queue

Hello, i need to write a message queue "chat server", that should work only localy. Can anyone please help me with some ideas and peshaps code. I'm studying the UNIX IPC mechanisms right now. So far, i understand how it works but i still cannot get an idea how to write a chat programm... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etenv
2 Replies

5. Programming

URGENT:::Can anybody help me in creating message queue appliction??

hello, I had to implement a message queue application....between 30 processes...... all 30 proceses are getting data from serial port.... And here is THE FLOW::::::::1 connector process...which is linked with message queue to all the 30 applications. Processes get the data from serial port and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunchaudhary19
9 Replies

6. Programming

How to limit max no of message in a posix message queue

Hii can anyone pls tell how to limit the max no of message in a posix message queue. I have made changes in proc/sys/fs/mqueue/msg_max But still whenever i try to read the value of max. message in the queue using attr.mq_curmsgs (where struct mq_attr attr) its giving the default value as 10.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit3884
0 Replies

7. Programming

UNIX Message Queue

Hello !!!!! I have a simple question but i can't find the answer anywhere hope to meet it here. Why it is a bad idea to pass pointers through message queues ? Most structs i see all of their char types are arrays... Is it becase having pointers means we could possibily send wrong bytes ? For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: qlyine
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Message Queue in Linux

Hello How can I see the created message queues in the system? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
4 Replies

9. Programming

Permission denied when creating message queue

Hi guys. i have wrote a simple program to test message queue attributes. here it is: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <mqueue.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <string.h> #include <errno.h> #include <sys/stat.h> int main() { struct mq_attr attr; mqd_t mqd; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
2 Replies

10. Programming

POSIX message queue mq_open directory

hello, I try to test the POSIX mq_open function on book unp like below: #include "unpipc.h" # include <mqueue.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { int c, flags; mqd_t mqd; flags = O_RDWR | O_CREAT; while ((c = getopt(argc, argv, "e")) != -1) { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anpufeng
3 Replies
mq_open(3)						     Library Functions Manual							mq_open(3)

NAME
mq_open - Establishes the connection between a message queue and a message queue descriptor (P1003.1b) LIBRARY
Realtime Library (librt.so, librt.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <mqueue.h> mqd_t mq_open ( const char *name, int oflag, ...); PARAMETERS
*name Specifies a pointer to the name of a string naming the message queue. The string can be a pathname. oflag Specifies the request for receive or send access to the message queue, as well as the blocking attributes of the resulting open descriptor for the calling process. This value of this argument is the bitwise inclusive OR of the values from the following list of flags. An application must specify exactly one of the first three flags: O_RDONLY Opens the message queue for receiving messages. This enables calls to the mq_receive function but not calls to the mq_send function for the calling process. Note that each process has its own read/write access to a queue. O_WRONLY Opens the queue for sending messages. This enables calls to the mq_send function but not calls to the mq_receive function for the calling process. O_RDWR Opens the queue for receiving and sending messages for the calling process. Any combination of the following flags is valid: O_CREAT Creates a message queue. Use of this flag requires specification of two additional arguments: mode, which is of type mode_t, and attr, which points to a mq_attr structure. If name has already been used to create a message queue that is still open, this flag has no effect, except as noted under O_EXCL. Otherwise, a message queue is created. The ID of the message queue becomes the effective user ID, and the group ID of the message queue becomes the effective group ID of the process. The mode argument sets the file permission bits. If the attr argument is NULL, the function creates the message queue with default attributes. If the attr argument is not NULL, and the calling process has appropriate privilege or per- mission, the message queue attributes are set as if the mq_setattr function were called with the attribute argument attr. If the attr argument is not NULL, but the calling process does not have the appropriate privilege or permission, the mq_open argument fails and returns an error. O_EXCL Prevents the opening of a message queue if O_CREAT is set and the message queue already exists. Use this flag only in com- bination with O_CREAT. O_NONBLOCK Allows calls to the mq_send and mq_receive functions to continue execution while waiting for resources or messages. When this flag is set and resources are not available, the mq_send and mq_receive functions fail and errno is set to EAGAIN. This flag is a per-open descriptor flag, and applies to the calling process only. Each process has its own blocking attributes for a queue. DESCRIPTION
The mq_open function establishes the connection between a message queue and a message queue descriptor. This function creates a new open message queue description that refers to a specified message queue and a message queue descriptor that refers to that open message queue description. The message queue descriptor is then available for use by other functions for reference to the message queue from the calling process. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, this function returns a message queue descriptor. Otherwise, the function returns -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The mq_open function fails under the following conditions: [EACCES] The message queue exists and the permissions specified by oflag are denied, or the message queue does not exist and permis- sion to create the message queue is denied. [EEXIST] O_CREAT and O_EXCL are set, and the named message queue already exists. [EFAULT] An internal virtual memory error occurred. [EINTR] The mq_open operation was interrupted by a signal. [EINVAL] The mq_open operation is not supported for the given name. O_CREAT was specified in oflag, the value of attr is not NULL, and either mq_maxmsg or mq_msgsize was less than or equal to zero. [EMFILE] Too many message queue descriptors or file descriptors are currently in use by this process. [ENAMETOOLONG] The length of the name string exceeds {PATH_MAX}, or a pathname component is longer than {NAME_MAX} while {_POSIX_NO_TRUNC} is in effect. [ENFILE] Too many message queues are currently open in the system. [ENOENT] O_CREAT is not set and the named message queue does not exist. [ENOSPC] There is insufficient space for the creation of the new message queue. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: mq_close(3), mq_getattr(3), mq_receive(3), mq_send(3), mq_setattr(3), mq_unlink(3) Guide to Realtime Programming delim off mq_open(3)