Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo! Post 302470998 by hakermania on Thursday 11th of November 2010 05:13:33 PM
Old 11-11-2010
Thx, it seems interesting Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

question for "echo"

what is the mean: echo -n "^0;!*^G" thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris_chang
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Simple" echo/reading variable question...

Hello, I have a simple(I think) question! Although simple, I have been unable to resolve it, so I hope someone can help! OK, here it is: 1)I have an awk script that prints something, such as: awk '{print $2}' a > x so x might hold the value of say '10' 2)Now, I just want to check to see if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cmd || echo "something" - doesn't exit uppon error

Hi guys, I have a shell script where I have the following: for i in ad0 ad1 do gpart create -s gpt $i || echo "Cannot create GPT partition on "$i". Exiting ..." gpart add -s 128 -t freebsd-boot $i || echo "Cannot add freebsd-boot partition on "$i". Exiting ..." gpart add -s 4G -t... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: da1
2 Replies

7. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between echo `ls -l` and echo "`ls -l`" ?

Hi guys, Been messing around with shell programming for a couple of days and I found something that was pretty odd in the behavior of the echo command. Below is an example-: When I type the following in my /home directory from my lxterminal in Debian-: echo "`ls -l`" I get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Basic question on "echo"

what happens when I echo asterisk? Please don't hijack other peoples' thread; post our own new one as required by forum rules! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ithenr00
5 Replies
FOOMATIC-PPDLOAD(8)					      System Manager's Manual					       FOOMATIC-PPDLOAD(8)

NAME
foomatic-ppdload - <put a short description here> SYNOPSIS
foomatic-ppdload -h foomatic-ppdload filename.ppd printer-id foomatic-ppdload -R printer-id DESCRIPTION
foomatic-ppdload takes a ppd filename and a printer ID as arguments. It parses a PPD file and writes option data into the foomatic data- base for use with the foomatic "ppd" driver and that printer. With the -R option you can remove a printer from the "ppd" driver, and with -h a short help text is shown. Right now, it will handle Boolean and PickOne options that go in the Prolog, DocumentSetup, or PageSetup spots. Also, PPD interoption con- straints (not to be confused with foomatic option to printer and driver mapping constraints) are not supported by foomatic. And of course, the interesting color and font information from the PPD has no place in the current foomatic schema. All this will change over time. EXIT STATUS
foomatic-ppdload returns ... AUTHOR
Manfred Wassmann <manolo@NCC-1701.B.Shuttle.de> for the foomatic project using output from the associated binary. BUGS
There are several limitations, but it's an interesting experiment. Please send bug reports to foomatic-devel@linuxprinting.org. Foomatic Project 2001-05-07 FOOMATIC-PPDLOAD(8)