Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create a pipe to /dev/tty
Top Forums Programming Create a pipe to /dev/tty Post 302470565 by Corona688 on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 11:22:26 AM
Old 11-10-2010
As I understand it, you're trying to login with a password noninteractively? These commands read from /dev/tty as a security feature, to prevent people from being able to login with stored plaintext passwords. In other words, a less-than-subtle hint that you're not supposed to be using stored passwords to login.

Would it be possible to use ssh for this? It supports noninteractive login methods such as keys. Or configure your system to let you and only you login to one and only one specific thing without a password via the sudo utility.

Worst case, if you absolutely must, you might be able to fool it with things like the expect tool, but this is convoluted and very hard to make secure.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot open "/dev/tty"

Hi, When it proccesing the backup with cpio report this message: Cannot open "/dev/tty" and cancel de backup. Cuando se procesa la tarea del backup reporta el error: Cannot open "/dev/tty" y cancela el backup y no termina correctamente, a que se devera esta advertencia. Gracias. Thacks.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmr88
3 Replies

2. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

3. Programming

sniff /dev/tty

hello all, Being root, I would like to log user activity (also multiple root activity), i don't really like history file based logging, lets assume that users have access to their .profile. I would like to write a monitoring daemon in C that would capture /dev/ttys, so I need to do a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayward
0 Replies

4. SCO

Cannot create pipe

Hi, I'm new here, so please dont shoot me if I forgot something :) Some SCO box we've (our company) got recently from a new customer runs an app that hangs the entire box every once in a while. Today when an admin tried to start the db we got this error: $ dbstart dbstart: line 22: cannot... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: necron
6 Replies

5. Programming

What happens on opening /dev/tty failure?

Since the existence of /dev/tty is not guaranteed, what happens when an attempt is made to open /dev/tty and there's no controlling terminal? Will it fail, or open /dev/null instead? Or do something else? So is checking for NULL in the code below a safe way of checking whether opening... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gencon
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read from terminal/keyboard > /dev/tty

Hi, I need to provide more than one character to "> /dev/tty" through terminal/keyboard input, I have this: ok=false while do echo " Enter r1 to reformat " > /dev/tty read choice case $choice in ) echo " bla bla bla " ;; done However, in this way,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/dev/tty find last modified time

what can I use to find the last modified time of a /dev/tty ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Create sym-link into /dev (zone)

Hi i need to install a software into a zone, and this kind of software needs to have a file who is linked into /dev. But it is not possible to create a link into /dev nor create a file into it. -bash-3.00# ln -s /tmp/testfile /dev/ ln: cannot create /dev//testfile: Permission denied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading password from /dev/tty

hi, From the below script: ##########################################pwd_auth.sh######################################################################################## #Author: Pandeeswaran Bhoopathy #Written on:26th Jan 2012 2:00PM #This script describes the feature of stty and illustrates... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simply question about capturing output to /dev/tty

Suppose another person wrote the following one-line shell script: echo $RANDOM > /dev/tty QUESTION #1: How can the random number, which is output to the terminal by this script, be captured in a variable? QUESTION #2: How can this be done in a cron job? Specific code, whether in ksh or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paul R
1 Replies
LOGIN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  LOGIN(8)

NAME
login.krb5 - kerberos enhanced login program SYNOPSIS
login.krb5 [-p] [-fFe username] [-r | -k | -K | -h hostname] DESCRIPTION
login.krb5 is a modification of the BSD login program which is used for two functions. It is the sub-process used by krlogind and telnetd to initiate a user session and it is a replacement for the command-line login program which, when invoked with a password, acquires Ker- beros tickets for the user. login.krb5 will prompt for a username, or take one on the command line, as login.krb5 username and will then prompt for a password. This password will be used to acquire Kerberos Version 5 tickets (if possible.) It will also attempt to run aklog to get AFS tokens for the user. The version 5 tickets will be tested against a local krb5.keytab if it is available, in order to verify the tickets, before letting the user in. However, if the password matches the entry in /etc/passwd the user will be unconditionally allowed (permitting use of the machine in case of network failure.) OPTIONS
-p preserve the current environment -r hostname pass hostname to rlogind. Must be the last argument. -h hostname pass hostname to telnetd, etc. Must be the last argument. -f name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -F name Perform pre-authenticated login, e.g., datakit, xterm, etc.; allows preauthenticated login as root. -e name Perform pre-authenticated, encrypted login. Must do term negotiation. CONFIGURATION
login.krb5 is also configured via krb5.conf using the login stanza. A collection of options dealing with initial authentication are pro- vided: krb5_get_tickets Use password to get V5 tickets. Default value true. krb_run_aklog Attempt to run aklog. Default value false. aklog_path Where to find it [not yet implemented.] Default value $(prefix)/bin/aklog. accept_passwd Don't accept plaintext passwords [not yet implemented]. Default value false. DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection or tty associated with stderr. SEE ALSO
rlogind(8), rlogin(1), telnetd(8) LOGIN(8)