Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Boot Loaders GPT/Protective MBR problem... Post 302470375 by Blackbird on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 01:35:18 AM
Old 11-10-2010
Oh dear. Smilie Lucky me that a made a backup of my data before.

I think I will just create a new MBR and restore my backups...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete gpt signatures

Hi Can anyone tell me how to delete GPT signatures in linux/unix. Thanks Tannu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHEL4 easyRAID problem 2tb gpt xfs

hello community, i have problems with my redhat enterprise linux 4 nanhant 6 and my easyraid x8s (8x1tb) extern fibre channel raid extern raid configuration: raid level 5 (8x1tb) redhat system shows me four 2tb partitions and one 450gb partition from my raid :( why????? i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onkeldave
1 Replies

3. Fedora

Disk Paritioning Scheme--GPT or MBR

Hi, I just built myself a new machine which has an ASUS motherboard with is UEFI based. I noticed after I installed Fedora 17 that my sda is MBR and my sdb is GPT: sda is a ssd drive. Should the ssd drive be GPT or is MBR okay? sda is 60Gb drive. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installing Windows 7 on a GPT drive

Hello, My hard drive was formatted with GPT. It is part of a volume group and has two logical volumes on it. Is it possible to convert the drive to MBR? If so, how would I got about doing it? I know there are programs out there that do it, but I have volume groups with LVM's so I am wondering if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

GPT Partitions

(Don't you hate being on holiday and being the only IT person in the family?) Got a wonderful thanksgiving surprise .. dead windows-8 laptop with "important" unbacked-up data. No worries, I have my my fedora labtop and a magical SATA to USB converter. Plugged in the drive, and ... can't mount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekludwig
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

2nd hdd is Linux_lvm can't mount MBR on BSD with GPT

rying it this way, because I can't handle the slices for the second hdd. If there is someone on this forum who can help me out of that misery, he would really save my digital life in this digital ocean. So not giving up, reading several times the manual of gpart. But the best hint in all that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
GPTBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						GPTBOOT(8)

NAME
gptboot -- GPT bootcode for UFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
gptboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a UFS partition on a GPT-partitioned disk. gptboot is installed in a freebsd-boot par- tition with gpart(8). IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The GPT standard allows a variable number of partitions, but gptboot only boots from tables with 128 partitions or less. PARTITION ATTRIBUTES
gptboot checks and manages several attributes of GPT UFS partitions. bootme Attempt to boot from this partition. If more than one partition has the bootme attribute set, gptboot will attempt to boot each one until successful. bootonce Attempt to boot from this partition only one time. Setting this attribute with gpart(8) automatically also sets the bootme attribute. Multiple partitions may have the bootonce and bootme attributes set. bootfailed The bootfailed attribute marks partitions that had the bootonce attribute set, but failed to boot. This attribute is managed by the system. See BOOTING and POST-BOOT ACTIONS below for details. USAGE
For normal usage, the user does not have to set or manage any of the partition attributes. gptboot will boot from the first UFS partition found. The bootonce attribute can be used for testing an upgraded operating system on an already-working computer. The existing system partition is left untouched, and the new version of the operating system to be tested is installed on another partition. The bootonce attribute is set on that new test partition. The next boot is attempted from the test partition. Success or failure will be shown in the system log files. After a successful boot of the test partition, a user script can check the logs and change the bootme attributes so the test partition becomes the new system partition. Because the bootonce attribute is cleared after an attempted boot, a failed boot will not leave the system attempting to boot from a partition that will never succeed. Instead, the system will boot from the older, known-working operating system that has not been modified. If the bootme attribute is set on any partitions, booting will be attempted from them first. If no partitions with bootme attributes are found, booting will be attempted from the first UFS partition found. BOOTING
gptboot first reads the partition table. All freebsd-ufs partitions with only the bootonce attribute set, indicating a failed boot, are set to bootfailed. gptboot then scans through all of the freebsd-ufs partitions. Boot behavior depends on the combination of bootme and bootonce attributes set on those partitions. bootonce + bootme Highest priority: booting is attempted from each of the freebsd-ufs partitions with both of these attributes. On each partition, the bootme attribute is removed and the boot attempted. bootme Middle priority: booting is attempted from each of the freebsd-ufs partitions with the bootme attribute. If neither bootonce nor bootme attributes are found on any partitions, booting is attempted from the first freebsd-ufs partition on the disk. POST-BOOT ACTIONS The startup script /etc/rc.d/gptboot checks the attributes of freebsd-ufs partitions on all GPT disks. Partitions with the bootfailed attribute generate a ``boot from X failed'' system log message. Partitions with only the bootonce attribute, indicating a partition that successfully booted, generate a ``boot from X succeeded'' system log message. The bootfailed attributes are cleared from all the partitions. The bootonce attribute is cleared from the partition that successfully booted. There is normally only one of these. FILES
/boot/gptboot bootcode binary /boot.config parameters for the boot blocks (optional) EXAMPLES
gptboot is installed in a freebsd-boot partition, usually the first partition on the disk. A ``protective MBR'' (see gpart(8)) is typically installed in combination with gptboot. Install gptboot on the ada0 drive: gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0 gptboot can also be installed without the PMBR: gpart bootcode -p /boot/gptboot -i 1 ada0 Set the bootme attribute for partition 2: gpart set -a bootme -i 2 ada0 Set the bootonce attribute for partition 2, automatically also setting the bootme attribute: gpart set -a bootonce -i 2 ada0 SEE ALSO
boot.config(5), rc.conf(5), boot(8), gpart(8) HISTORY
gptboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
This manual page written by Warren Block <wblock@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
February 5, 2014 BSD