Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Boot Loaders GPT/Protective MBR problem... Post 302470318 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 06:36:50 PM
Old 11-09-2010
Humm, the conversion from GPT to MBR by gdisk is a best-faith attempt only according to the man page. No guarantees, especially if there were no free blocks between the partitions.

You could try the -c option to load the backup partition table but I suspect that it will contain nothing.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete gpt signatures

Hi Can anyone tell me how to delete GPT signatures in linux/unix. Thanks Tannu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHEL4 easyRAID problem 2tb gpt xfs

hello community, i have problems with my redhat enterprise linux 4 nanhant 6 and my easyraid x8s (8x1tb) extern fibre channel raid extern raid configuration: raid level 5 (8x1tb) redhat system shows me four 2tb partitions and one 450gb partition from my raid :( why????? i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onkeldave
1 Replies

3. Fedora

Disk Paritioning Scheme--GPT or MBR

Hi, I just built myself a new machine which has an ASUS motherboard with is UEFI based. I noticed after I installed Fedora 17 that my sda is MBR and my sdb is GPT: sda is a ssd drive. Should the ssd drive be GPT or is MBR okay? sda is 60Gb drive. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installing Windows 7 on a GPT drive

Hello, My hard drive was formatted with GPT. It is part of a volume group and has two logical volumes on it. Is it possible to convert the drive to MBR? If so, how would I got about doing it? I know there are programs out there that do it, but I have volume groups with LVM's so I am wondering if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

GPT Partitions

(Don't you hate being on holiday and being the only IT person in the family?) Got a wonderful thanksgiving surprise .. dead windows-8 laptop with "important" unbacked-up data. No worries, I have my my fedora labtop and a magical SATA to USB converter. Plugged in the drive, and ... can't mount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekludwig
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

2nd hdd is Linux_lvm can't mount MBR on BSD with GPT

rying it this way, because I can't handle the slices for the second hdd. If there is someone on this forum who can help me out of that misery, he would really save my digital life in this digital ocean. So not giving up, reading several times the manual of gpart. But the best hint in all that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
UEFI(8) 						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						   UEFI(8)

NAME
UEFI -- Unified Extensible Firmware Interface bootstrapping procedures DESCRIPTION
The UEFI Unified Extensible Firmware Interface provides boot- and run-time services to operating systems. UEFI is a replacement for the legacy BIOS on the i386 and amd64 CPU architectures, and is also used on arm64 and ia64. The UEFI boot process loads system bootstrap code located in an EFI System Partition (ESP). The ESP is a GPT or MBR partition with a spe- cific identifier that contains an msdosfs(5) FAT file system with a specified file hierarchy. Partition Scheme ESP Identifier GPT C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B MBR 0xEF The UEFI boot process proceeds as follows: 1. UEFI firmware runs at power up and searches for an OS loader in the EFI system partition. The path to the loader may be set by an EFI environment variable. If not set, the default is /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. The default UEFI boot configuration for FreeBSD installs boot1.efi as /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI. 2. boot1.efi locates the first partition with the type freebsd-ufs, and from it loads loader.efi. 3. loader.efi loads and boots the kernel, as described in loader(8). The vt(4) system console is automatically selected when booting via UEFI. FILES
/boot/boot1.efi First stage UEFI bootstrap /boot/boot1.efifat msdosfs(5) FAT file system image containing boot1.efi for use by bsdinstall(8) and the bootcode argument to gpart(8). /boot/loader.efi Final stage bootstrap /boot/kernel/kernel default kernel /boot/kernel.old/kernel typical non-default kernel (optional) SEE ALSO
vt(4), msdosfs(5), boot(8), gpart(8) HISTORY
UEFI boot support first appeared in FreeBSD 10.1. AUTHORS
UEFI boot support was developed by Benno Rice <benno@FreeBSD.org>, Ed Maste <emaste@FreeBSD.org>, and Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@FreeBSD.org>. The FreeBSD Foundation sponsored portions of the work. CAVEATS
EFI environment variables are not supported by loader(8) or the kernel. boot1.efi loads loader.efi from the first FreeBSD-UFS file system it locates, even if it is on a different disk. boot1.efi cannot load loader.efi from a ZFS(8) file system. As a result, UEFI does not support a typical root file system on ZFS configura- tion. BSD
October 17, 2014 BSD