Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file? Post 302466750 by sasikari on Wednesday 27th of October 2010 08:28:30 AM
Old 10-27-2010
Thanks a lot , it is perfectly working fine.

And mainly i have 128 columns in my source file , could you please let me know where exactly need changes to this code OR how to handle this scenario when i have 128 columns in the file.

Could you also explain me about this code (Sorry i couldn't understand this code , but it is perfectly working to my scenario).

Please provide me the solution for this.

Thanks a ton for the help

Regards,
Kari

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED to append character to each line

Hey - my first post here, and I'm a total SED newb. I've looked around for previous help on this, but have so far been unsuccessful. I have a program (AMStracker for OS X) that outputs data in the terminal. Output is in this form: . . . 3 0 -75 3 0 -76 3 0 -77 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0nn0r
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

append a character at end of each line of a file

Hi, i want to append a character '|' at end of each line of a file abc.txt. for example if the file abc.txt conatins: a|b|c 1|2|33 w|2|11 i want result file xyz.txt a|b|c| 1|2|33| w|2|11| I know this is simple but sumhow i am not able to reach end of line. its urgent, thanks for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muaz
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a character to the last but one field on a specific line?

Hi Guys, I have a file like this: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h n I want: aaa b c d e f fsss g h i k l qqq r t h , n ggg p t e d u qqq i o s , k (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove line break character in a file

Hi, we are trying to process a csv file,in which we are getting data with line breaks.How to remove the line break character in the file? when i try to print the line break charcter using od -c,it gives as '\n' character for both line break and line feed. Please provide your valuable... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line character at end of file.

I need to remove new line character from end of file. Suppose here are content. a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r a|b|c|d|r <new line> that means file contains 4 lines but data is there in 3 lines. so I want that only 3 lines should be there in file. Please help (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun940
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the last character (,) for every line in a file

Good afternoon: im working wih 2 files to find differences and use the cmp command cmp file1 file2 file1 file2 are are diifferent char 302 line1 i found what the difference is with the sed command and that is the file1 at the end of every line has a (,) (comma) character. i.e sed -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line character and add space to convert into fixed width file

I have a file with different record length. The file as to be converted into fixed length by appending spaces at the end of record. The length should be calculated based on the record with maximum length in the file. If the length is less than the max length, the spaces should be appended... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Remove comma as last character in end of last line of file?

how to Remove comma as last charector in end of last line of file: example: input file --------------- aaaaaa, bbbbbb, cccc, 12345, ____________ output file : ----------- aaaaaa, bbbbbb, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove $ or new line character in a file?

Hi All, Could any one suggest how to remove $ symbol in a text file when i am opening in vi editor. Scenario; For example iam having a file name aaa.txt the data inside the file is like sample name when i am opening in vi editor The same file resembles like below when i am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chandru_Raj
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append each line based upon the character size

I have a huge file which contains multiple lines. It need to check whether character length is not more than 255 each line. If its not then it should remove the character up to column. I have described in the output below. If its more than that the next line should start with call but if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JoshvaPeter
1 Replies
delch(3XCURSES) 					  X/Open Curses Library Functions					   delch(3XCURSES)

NAME
delch, mvdelch, mvwdelch, wdelch - remove a character SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int delch(void); int mvdelch(int y, int x); int mvwdelch(WINDOW *win, int y, int x); int wdelch(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The delch() and wdelch() functions delete the character at the current cursor position from stdscr and win, respectively. All remaining characters after cursor through to the end of the line are shifted one character towards the start of the line. The last character on the line becomes a space; characters on other lines are not affected. The mvdelch() and mvwdelch() functions delete the character at the position specified by the x and y parameters; the former deletes the character from stdscr; the latter from win. PARAMETERS
y Is the y (row) coordinate of the position of the character to be removed. x Is the x (column) coordinate of the position of the character to be removed. win Is a pointer to the window containing the character to be removed. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bkgdset(3XCURSES), insch(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 delch(3XCURSES)