Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop Post 302465603 by alice06 on Friday 22nd of October 2010 09:26:26 PM
Old 10-22-2010
How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop

Hi all

I run my program prog.c in the following way :

PHP Code:
$ ./prog 1 output.txt 
where 1 is a user defined initial value used by the program.

But now I want to run it for many a thousand initial values, 1-1000, and store all the outputs in different files.

PHP Code:
$ ./prog 1 output1.txt 
$ ./prog 2 output2.txt 
$ ./prog 3 output3.txt 

$ ./
prog 1000 output1000.txt 
I know how to use the for loop in a shell script but dont know how to give a variable output name.

Please give me a small example
PLEASE HELP

Regards
Alice

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to give a variable to a command in shell script...

hi all... I am executing a comman in a shell script but the command needs a user input of character 'y' as input so it stops in between...may i know is there is any way of giving that character as input in the shell script itself???...thanks in advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: santy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a number with random variable inside shell script

Hi All. I need help for the below logic. I ve a file like following input file: NopTX(5) // should be remain same as input ----Nop(@100); //1 Nop(90); //2 --Nop(80); //3 @Nop(70); //4 --@Nop(60); //5 @Nop@(@50); //6 --Nop@( 40); ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing value of a variable inside a shell script

I have a continous polling happening inside a shell script on AIX. This actually calls a PL/SQL block. Is there a way I can set up a variable or pass an interrupt to end the script gracefully. I cant read from the config once the job starts running. Ideally I should change value of a variable and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshyju
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

scope of a Variable inside shell script

hi all, i'm using the following script, Status=1 Function_do () { while read line; do if ; then #echo $line if ; then Status=0 echo " LINKINK ERROR " fi fi done < ldd.log } Function_do (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in running while loop inside a shell script

I have an input file at ./$1.txt with content of seq numbers like : 1234567890 1234589700 . . so on.. I need to take each seq nbr from the input file ,run the query below: select ackname,seqnbr from event where event_text like '%seqnbr( from the input file)' and redirect the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script use two variable in for loop

I want to create a shell script to add a user and modify its comment field mentioned in a file. 1. File value:- username comment field value xyz123 xyztesting abc123 abctesting def123 deftesting 2. i am using below loop to create user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anil
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to write a Boolean variable which succeed and failed inside the if loop in shell script ?

I have if loop with multiple variable value check in if loop. How can i print only if loop satisfied variable and its value in shell script ? I dont want to check each variable in if loop. That makes my script larger. if ] then echo "Only satisfied variable with value" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince1987
3 Replies
fixcrio(1)                                                    General Commands Manual                                                   fixcrio(1)

NAME
fixcrio - inserts missing CRs at the ends of lines. SYNOPSIS
fixcrio prog DESCRIPTION
fixcrio runs prog. It inserts CR at the end of each line of input or output to prog that does not have a CR. fixcrio runs as a child process of prog. It exits when it sees the end of prog's output. SEE ALSO
tcpserver(1), tcprules(1), tcprulescheck(1), argv0(1), recordio(1), rblsmtpd(1), tcpclient(1), who@(1), date@(1), finger@(1), http@(1), tcpcat(1), mconnect(1), tcp-environ(5) http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html fixcrio(1)