Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple While read causing issues Post 302464531 by anbu23 on Wednesday 20th of October 2010 11:09:10 AM
Old 10-20-2010
Check whether you have asterisk in your input file

Run these echo commands and see the results
Code:
echo *

Code:
echo "*"

Add quotes around ln1 to avoid filenames
Code:
while read ln1
do
   echo "$ln1"
done < $LogDir/$LogFile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Bash Read File question

Hello all, I am trying to write a simple script that will parse through a text/properties file and check a couple of if statements. Here is what I have so far: FILENAME=$1 while read line do echo $line done < $FILENAME When I call ./simple.sh testfile.txt I recieve a file or... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamagra
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with simple read script!

Hi y'all...I've been wracking my brain over this very simple script that reads in a textfile and echos each line. But I keep getting an error. Below is my script: #!/bin/bash while read myline do echo $myline done < t_file-20080221.01.asc The error I am getting is: syntax error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kevlar28
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nohup causing issues

Hi folks... I really need some help soon with this issue I am having when I run my script using 'nohup'. Below is a function 'checkReturn' that my script uses to check whether other functions or tasks errored out with a non-zero exit code. function checkReturn { if ; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/Search file being written to giving error due to timing issues

The following is a piece of code to rename LOG_FILE_NEW to LOG_FILE once you get a result (either RUNNING or SHUTDOWN) RESULT="" sleep 30 while ; do sleep 10 RESULT=`sed -n '/RUNNING/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` if ; then RESULT=`sed -n '/SHUTTING_DOWN/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` fi done mv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonorous
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple way to read an array in ksh

hi, I'm a newbie to shell scripting. I wanted to initialise an array using basic for loop and read it. Then i want to print it as a .CSV file.. Any help would me much appreciated.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravsripad
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issues using array credentials to read contents of a file

Hi, I am trying to read the contents of a file using array credentials in unix. The file I am trying to read is tab separated and contains the below contents. # partnerid Direc Server Port Source_Dir Target_Dir Mask Remove Files Passwordless Compare Files ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aartikara
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple while read line loop question

#!/bin/bash count=1 while read line do if (($count > 4)); then awk -v var1="$count" '{printf "%3s%8s%11s%11s%11s\n",var1,$2,$3,$4,$5}' else echo $line fi count=$((count+1)) done < posre_sub.itp > test cat test INPUT: ; position restraints for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Script to read a tab delimited file and perform simple tasks

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hello! I need help with this problem bash shell scripting that basically just reads the data in a tab delimited file and does the following below 1. Read in the data file Survey.txt and assign the column values to variables of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsmith6932
6 Replies

9. Proxy Server

Samba on AIX, issues setting read-only flag on files?

Hello, I am having issues setting the "read-only" flag via Windows Explorer on my AIX Samba share... I have on my AIX 7.1 system installed Samba 3.6.24 and configured, joined to our Windows domain successfully. The samba binaries I got from perzl.org/aix In my smb.conf I have... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to test mountGpoint for read-write

Guys, need your help urgently. ServerA ServerB ServerA has an email facility and can connect remotely via root using key to ServerB What I am trying to achieve here is ServerA would be able to remotely: 1. Do command 'touch /mnt/testfile.date' on ServerB 2. If touch failed with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaapar
4 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux