Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: EFI on BSDs problem
Special Forums Hardware Boot Loaders EFI on BSDs problem Post 302462936 by fpmurphy on Friday 15th of October 2010 10:19:48 AM
Old 10-15-2010
EFI loader only supports IA64 currently on FreeBSD. According to the FreeBSD Status report Q1/2010, work on supporting EFI booting on FreeBSD/i386 resumed. The boot loader can now read an ELF file from the EFI FAT partition and they are now working on trying to boot a kernel.

It would seem that what you want to do is not supported OOTB at present.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to add Boot path for ALUA lun in EFI?

Hi All, I am trying to make a Boot from San setup on 11.31 IA64 (rx2660). The San array I am using is EMC Clariion with failover mode ALUA. Now, My setup is ready and I am able to boot my host from the Lun. I have 4 paths to my Lun from my host. Question is how do I add the entries in EFI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: barun agarwal
0 Replies

2. Solaris

EFI Disk labels on 3510 raid array

Hi Peeps, Can anyone help me an EFI lablel on a 3510 raid array that I cannot get rid of, format -e and label just asks you if you want to label it. Want an SMI label writing to it. Anyone got any ideas on how to remove the EFI label? Thanks in advance Martin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Installing using ZFS - need to remove EFI disk labels

What is the preferred way of doing this from a bare metal install? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleLebowski
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Map EFI Internal Bootable DVD

Hi, I try to get hands on my new RX2600 HP Servers. For the cold installation of the HP-UX OS the mapping to the Internal Bootable DVD is gone in the EFI Shell. ON one of my two HP RX2600 Servers the entry stays there: EFI Boot Manager ver 1.10 Firmware ver 2.31 Please select a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdohn
2 Replies

5. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Trouble creating a disk partition slice (EFI)

Hi all, I am using SPARC Solaris 11.1 with EFI labelled disks. I am new to ZFS file systems and slightly stuck when trying to create a partition (slice) on one of my LUNs. EFI labels use sectors and blocks and I am not sure how exactly it works. From here I can try and create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selectstar
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Are the BSDs dying?

Source a quick google search making clear that this isn't really new, and if we look at our bsd Forum we see that its the only operation systems forum with the last comment dated to June last year, whereas all the others have more recent comments. One comment dated to 2014 is exactly what I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dodona
10 Replies
BOOTCTL(1)							      bootctl								BOOTCTL(1)

NAME
bootctl - Control the firmware and boot manager settings SYNOPSIS
bootctl [OPTIONS...] status bootctl [OPTIONS...] list bootctl [OPTIONS...] update bootctl [OPTIONS...] install bootctl [OPTIONS...] remove DESCRIPTION
bootctl checks, updates, installs or removes the boot loader from the current system. bootctl status checks and prints the currently installed versions of the boot loader binaries and all current EFI boot variables. bootctl list displays all configured boot loader entries. bootctl update updates all installed versions of systemd-boot, if the current version is newer than the version installed in the EFI system partition. This also includes the EFI default/fallback loader at /EFI/BOOT/BOOT*.EFI. A systemd-boot entry in the EFI boot variables is created if there is no current entry. The created entry will be added to the end of the boot order list. bootctl install installs systemd-boot into the EFI system partition. A copy of systemd-boot will be stored as the EFI default/fallback loader at /EFI/BOOT/BOOT*.EFI. A systemd-boot entry in the EFI boot variables is created and added to the top of the boot order list. bootctl remove removes all installed versions of systemd-boot from the EFI system partition, and removes systemd-boot from the EFI boot variables. If no command is passed, status is implied. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. --path= Path to the EFI System Partition (ESP). If not specified, /efi, /boot, and /boot/efi are checked in turn. It is recommended to mount the ESP to /boot, if possible. -p, --print-path This option modifies the behaviour of status. Just print the path to the EFI System Partition (ESP) to standard output and exit. --no-variables Do not touch the EFI boot variables. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
Boot loader specification[1] systemd boot loader interface[2] NOTES
1. Boot loader specification https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec 2. systemd boot loader interface https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/BootLoaderInterface systemd 237 BOOTCTL(1)