Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /root restore backup exec
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users /root restore backup exec Post 302462408 by halacil on Thursday 14th of October 2010 07:01:21 AM
Old 10-14-2010
/root restore backup exec

Hi

we use backup exec to backup our linux servers... question is what if the linux server is corrupted (/root) and doesnt boot up .. how would the backup exec restore /root if the server cant even start?

woukld we have to restore to another server then boot into rescue mode and copy across using usb drive etc? or over network? is there any doc on how to ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

./agent for Backup Exec

Does anyone know how to run " ./agent.be & " in the background? I need to keep it running so that Backup Exec can see it. When I log out as root is shuts down the agent. This just started happening after I upgraded my Veritas drivers on my Windows 2000 server. That is my backup server. Hope... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jback
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Backup / restore

Hi.... everyone could help me to understand how to do a backup of my servers .. operating systems is sun solaris 8 . I have some question about .... 1) Is better backup phisical disk or partition ??? i sow the command is ufsdump 0cfu /expbck/bcksunver/c0t0d0s5 dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tt155
4 Replies

3. AIX

Backup and restore

I have several H80 machines, all with AIX 4.3.3. On these machines I have mksysb running for rootvg backups and savevg for non-rootvg backups. I'm trying to get a list of files on the tapes, but I can't seem to do it with tar for the mksysb images. I keep getting the directory checksum errors?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uXion
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

F-Backup restore

Hello! i have a blank harddrive and a complete tape backup of the workstation. the backup is made with F-Backup. Now my question is: how can i restore my workstation? thanks for every idea! paul tittel hup-si (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paultittel
3 Replies

5. BSD

Backup Exec Agent for Unix

Hi I'd like to backup my freeBSD 7.0 using Backup Exec 12.0 Where to download the Backup Exec Agent for Linux/Unix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup and restore in unix

Hello everybody, i am trying to make a script in UNIX to backup some compressed files to a tape drive. The thing is that i cannot use cpio command because some of these files are greater than 2GB. so i think the only solution left is backup command. to restore the files i should use the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cloning using backup exec

Hi we use backup exec to backup our linux servers. I wondered if its possible to restore root backup of one server into another server and then rename hotsnames etc..for clone purpose? does this work? how can it be done? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: halacil
0 Replies

8. AIX

Backup and restore

Hi experts, i got a question. i have a production server with two Volume Group(VG) which are rootvg and datavg. Both of these VGs are 256 PP SIZE. On Disaster Recovery Server (DR server) contains two empty hardisks for restoring rootvg and datavg from production server. This two hardisks are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: polar
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

Backup / Restore

Hi, I need to back up a RH file system (96G). The files are oracle .dbf format some of which are 5G in size. I know that tar has got a size restriction of 2G so I cannot use this. Can anyone recommend an alternative way of backuping up this FS? I have been looking at dump but this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
6 Replies

10. Web Development

Restore MySQL backup

Hello all! First posting here! So be patient with me. I made a clean install with MacOS 10.8 and need to restore my Databases from my external backup drive. Apparently it is not possible, to create the MySQL user and password as before, and simply drag the databases from... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: marek
12 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGRESTORE(8)