Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Only allowing chmod 777 for file upload folder Post 302459064 by Mr.Canuck on Sunday 3rd of October 2010 02:01:01 PM
Old 10-03-2010
Thanks for the response. I'm not really sure how to remedy that permission issue, so if I was to somehow not allow that particular directory (the "attachments" directory chmod 777) to run any "scripts", would that make it more secure?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ftp Upload Folder

Hi! I'd like to upload a complete folder with subfolders with put. At the moment I always get the err-msg: aboutme: not a plain file Could anyone help me?? Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roberthawke
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 security risks?

Hello all, I did a considerable search of the forum and didn't find an answer so I'll ask it here. For clarity's sake I'll state that I know just enough about Unix to be Dangerous (I'm an old Clipper, VO, ASM programmer from the 80's.) I would like to install PHP driven CMS program to my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary777
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod -R 444 [folder]

using the recursive option for chmod i am trying to make all the folders and subsequent files read only i.e. chmod -R 444 folder when i go to check the folder or contents using any command (cat, ls -l etc..) i get permission denied reply can someone tell me why and how to make folders... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprules
2 Replies

5. Solaris

chmod -R 777 in /usr Solaris 9 = Major Screwup

Hello Everyone: One of our admins here accidently ran chmod -R 777 in the /usr folder on a V440 running Solaris 9. After that no one could run any command and could not login. I fixed most of the things by re-restricting some rights and applying the correct rights. Now there is a problem... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muntaser_zaheer
3 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

How can I upload a zip folder on a unix path from my windows folder?

Hello, I am an amature at UNIX commands and functionality. Please could you all assist me by replying to my below mentioned querry : How can I upload a zip folder on a unix path from my windows folder? Thanks guys Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajit.yadav83
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 * - oops

I can belive I really did this... chmod 777 /home :eek: I have my /home directory synced to another machine. Can anyone tell me how to get the permissions from back up server /home to production server /home It's important that I dont over write the files on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shunter63
1 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

can another user 777 and existing 777 dirctory?

User usrA creates dirA directory and runs chmod 777 on the directory. Can usrB issue another 777 on dirA? It appears the answer is no even if the usrA and usrB are part of the same group. I know this is a rare scenario but I just ran across it and found out that usrB receives an error when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlek131
4 Replies

9. Web Development

upload a complete folder

Hi, how can I upload a complete folder (and subfolders) on ftp from terminal ? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
3 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

chmod -R 777 * in cygwin

Hello, I use windows XP on a small server. Lately I downloaded a software (hydrological computation) which asked me to install as well the software ‘cygwin' (kind of linux in windows environment) and then to perform in cygwin window the command: ‘chmod -R 777 *' in order to give writings... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cedalise
2 Replies
dput(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   dput(1)

NAME
dput - package upload tool for Debian SYNTAX
dput [options] [host] package.changes ... DESCRIPTION
This is a tool for uploading Debian packages into the archive. You may specify to which host it should upload the file by passing it an host argument. If omitted, dput uses the host specified by default_host (or, historically default_host_non-us) configuration option. Also you have to pass the program one or more name of package.changes files and then they will be sequentially uploaded. This program will then upload the package for you into the archive, using a selected upload method. Currently dput supports ftp, scp, rsync, http, https, and local. The method scripts have been split from the main script so it is easy to add new methods. Look in /usr/share/dput/ for examples. Should something go wrong with your upload to destinations using the Debian upload queue daemon (e.g. ftp-master), you can remove files from the upload queue with dcut(1). OPTIONS
-c, --config - define a config file to use. -d, --debug - activate debugging mode, helpful if bugs occur. -D, --dinstall - do a dry run of dinstall after the upload. -f, --force - force an upload of an already uploaded package. -h, --help - print help information and exit. -H, --host-list - print the lists of hosts that dput knows about. -l, --lintian - run lintian before the upload. -U, --no-upload-log - do not write a .upload log file after uploading. -o, --check-only - check only the package and do not upload. -p, --print - print the configuration that dput is using. -P, --passive - use passive ftp instead of active. Note that passive ftp is the default unless specified otherwise in the configuration file. -s, --simulate - simulate an upload only. -u, --unchecked - don't check GnuPG signature on the changes file. -e, --delayed - Upload to a DELAYED queue, rather than the usual Incoming. This takes an argument from 0 to 15. Note that a delay of 0 is different from no delay at all. -v, --version - print version information and exit. -V, --check-version - check if the user has already installed and tested the package before putting it into the archive. ENVIRONMENT
This program doesn't depend on any environment variables. But if the variable USER is set, it will be used. LICENSE
This program is distributed under the terms of the GPL. BUGS
Please send bug reports to the author. FILES
/etc/dput.cf global dput configuration file ~/.dput.cf peruser dput configuration file SEE ALSO
dput.cf(5) dcut(1) /usr/share/doc/dput /usr/share/dput AUTHOR
dput was written Christian Kurz. The current maintainer is Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de>. Many other people have contributed to this code. See the Thanks file. COMMENTS
The author does appreciate comments and suggestions from you. October 5, 2001 dput(1)