Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Stale users and no process
Operating Systems HP-UX Stale users and no process Post 302457218 by LisaS on Monday 27th of September 2010 02:38:25 PM
Old 09-27-2010
Stale users and no process

HP-UX B.11.23 U ia64

I've got two users that show in "w" with long idle times but if I search for their processes I find nothing (ps -ef | grep username )

I'm not sure why "w" still sees them and if there is anything (short of a reboot) that I can do to clean them out.

Ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill stranded/orphan process by users.

I have customers on our AIX/UNIX node startup a process that becomes stranded or orphaned and must be killed. I would like to create a script to check for these orphan processes and kill them. I can have cron run this job. The customers process will run and after 24 hours time out leaving an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjohnson
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process of other users

Hi, Can I kill process submitted by another uesr (say user1) if I'm not the su. If I got some previledges granted from user1, can I kill user1's process? Please advise? Thank you very much! Regards, Tse (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsesukfan
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Stale Mounts

Is there an easy way to find all stale mounts on a system? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: derf912
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing stale partitions

hi, i was trying to mirror root volume group and the command i was using didnt respond for a long time mirrorvg -m rootvg hdisk1 I was checking rootvg and it gives below. how do i fix stale partitions?? it seems to be on hdisk1 LV NAME TYPE LPs PPs PVs LV STATE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Stale NFS file handle

There are a filesystem /GWD/appbase/projects/GRIDDB Under this filesystem there is a directory called backup. But When I am trying to access the backup directory ,it is showing me the following error: # cd /GWD/appbase/projects/GRIDDB # cd backup -bash: cd: backup: Stale NFS file handle ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphasahoo
3 Replies

6. AIX

how to remove the stale entry without a reboot??

my AIX server used to have scsi disk hdisk4. Now i removed that disk. But still it is still listed in lspv. So how can i remove the stale entry of it ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: navadeep
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging task : script for mailing process completion timing report to users.

Hi all, This is my first post. I am new to unix scripting. My requirement is as follows : We are using a financial backoffice application. Now at the end of day we have send users a status report stating all timings of EOD processes for all countries. I need timings for following... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammbhhar
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Bypass stale PE ?

Hello, I have an ancient HP-UX 11.11 system where I have a logical volume marked stale and I can't get it sync'd. I have tried lvsync and lvreduce/lvextend to no avail. It is just one 4Mb PE on the disk that I can't get current. # lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol5 | grep stale LV Status ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
17 Replies

9. AIX

Hd6 is in stale condition

Hi friends, the paging lv hd6 is in stale condition hd6 paging 48 96 2 open/stale N/A And i'am getting the following alerts in the server 333BD283 0811044814 U S LVDD Bad block detected with no relocation al 333BD283 0811041114 U S LVDD ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mohamed Thamim
1 Replies

10. AIX

AIX - stale partition

Hi everybody, I have a little problem with my AIX 6.1, PowerHA 6.1 LVM mirror. After problem with SAN pathing of our one Datacenter, I have LV at stale state. # lsvg cpsdata2vg VOLUME GROUP: cpsdata2vg VG IDENTIFIER: 00fb518c00004c0000000169445f4c2c VG STATE: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necronomic
6 Replies
USERLIST(8)						      Finger-type Userlisting						       USERLIST(8)

NAME
userlist - Userlisting of who's on your system. SYNOPSIS
userlist DESCRIPTION
This program simply gives you a listing of who is connected to your system. It is used primarily in the sorted listing of cfingerd, which utilitizes the same method of display for a more uniform output between systems. (It also made more sense to do it this way instead of having jumbled up display listings in sorted finger displays. Besides, it made more sense to do this than use finger. :) This program functions with the same types of things in mind that cfingerd does. If the user has a .nofinger file, their username will not be displayed in the userlisting. Example output is shown as: Username Real Name Idletime TTY Remote console username I'm real ... 9d 23:59 0 (remote.site.com) where it would display the user's login name, the user's real name, their idle time given in the format "dd hh:mm", their TTY, and their remote location (or where they're telnetting from). If the username is over 8 characters, the program will not search for their information in the passwd file, since it may be too long. Besides, it checks getpwnam, anyway. :) OPTIONS
-c Give standard CFINGERD (custom) output. -n List only people idle less than one day. ADDITIONAL
Although userlist is not required to run as suid root, it is a good idea. The reason is it checks each users' directory for a .nofinger file. If indeed that user has a .nofinger file in his/her directory, that user will not be shown in the userlisting. If you change the program to run as nobody.nobody, you are free to do so. But you will also show the users if they are online, regardless of whether or not they have a ".nofinger" file (as long as their directory is NOT world-readable.) CONTACTING
If you like this program, have any suggestions on how it could be modified, or have bug reports, please write to: khollis@bitgate.com. Your continued Public Domain support is appreciated! Thanks. SEE ALSO
cfingerd.conf(5), cfingerd(8), finger(1). cfingerd 1.4.2 29 August 1999 USERLIST(8)