Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple process write to same log file at the same time Post 302456977 by casttree on Monday 27th of September 2010 03:54:57 AM
Old 09-27-2010
Thanks, My question is a general question without special user case.

Maybe we can create a example to insert data 1-10000 in process to log and run 3 processes at the same time .

As you point , lockfile in linux could lock the file for exclusive writing, so I assume if we don't use lockfile or similar command, the above situation will cause the race condition or outdated data.

If I am wrong in above, please let me know.

Thanks again for your comments.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script to Extract time from log files and write to a excel

Can someone help me with writing a unix script for following requirement 1) I have a log file in which we have start time and end time (format: hh:mm:ss) Example: starting script on Thu Jun 5 20:50:52 Thu Jun 5 21:55:33 - Script Completed 2) I want to extract start time and end time of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone help me with writing a unix script for following requirement 1) I have a log file in which we have start time and end time (format: hh:mm:ss) Example: starting script on Thu Jun 5 20:50:52 Thu Jun 5 21:55:33 - Script Completed 2) I want to extract start time and end time of... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can someone help me with writing a unix script for following requirement 1) I have a log file in which we have start time and end time (format: hh:mm:ss) Example: starting script on Thu Jun 5 20:50:52 --------- Thu Jun 5 21:55:33 - Script Completed 2) I want to extract... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run multiple process at the same time

Hello guys, Look what im doing: I need to run a process from a SERVER1 to SERVER2, SERVER3 and SERVER4. The shell of the process is in each SERVER (2 to 4) So from SERVER1 i do: for i in SERVER2 SERVER3 SERVER4 do rsh $i ' ./process.sh ' done The problem is: each process.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write process output to a file

When I run <ls -l> to get a list of all the files, I want the displayed result to be written to a text file. Is there a way to do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kn.naresh
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

when a process fails to write to /dev/log

Hi , when a process fails to write to /dev/log ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple processes write to log file at the same time

If we have 3 process to write to same log file at the same time like below. will it cause the data outdated because the multiple process writing same time? It this a safe way to keep the log for multiple process? p1 >> test.log &; p2 >> test.log &; p3 >> test.log & Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: casttree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch write multiple usb in same time

Hi there, I would write a bash script to format then create a range of folder (folder name is number) to a usb stick. for numbers in $(seq -w 001 999) do pause "Press any key to start" mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/sdc1 mount /dev/sdc1 /media/usb mkdir /media/$numbers umount /dev/sdc1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wayneliao38
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh: How to write the log file simultaneously when .sql file executes by UNIX process

Hello Team- we would like to implement an approach which has to write the log file simultaneously when .sql file is executing by Unix process. At present,it is writing the log file once the process is completed. I've tested the current process with the below approaches and none of them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hima_B
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subprocess.popen() should write to log without waiting for process to complete

Here is my test code process = sp.Popen( + , bufsize=1, universal_newlines=True, stdout=sp.PIPE, stderr=sp.STDOUT, cwd=src_home) output, _ =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezee
2 Replies
audit(2)																  audit(2)

NAME
audit - write a record to the audit log SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lbsm -lsocket -lnsl [ library... ] #include <sys/param.h> #include <bsm/libbsm.h> int audit(caddr_t record, int length); The audit() function is used to write a record to the system audit log. The data pointed to by record is written to the log after a mini- mal consistency check, with the length parameter specifying the size of the record in bytes. The data should be a well-formed audit record as described by audit.log(4). The kernel validates the record header token type and length, and sets the time stamp value before writing the record to the audit log. The kernel does not do any preselection for user-level generated events. If the audit policy is set to include sequence or trailer tokens, the kernel will append them to the record. Upon successful completion, 0 is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. The audit() function will fail if: EFAULT The record argument points outside the process's allocated address space. EINVAL The record header token ID is invalid or the length is either less than the header token size or greater than MAXAUDIT- DATA. EPERM The {PRIV_PROC_AUDIT} privilege is not asserted in the effective set of the calling process. USAGE
Only privileged processes can successfully execute this call. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ bsmconv(1M), auditd(1M), auditon(2), auditsvc(2), getaudit(2), audit.log(4), attributes(5), privileges(5) The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. 31 Mar 2005 audit(2)