Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh Post 302455232 by royzlife on Tuesday 21st of September 2010 06:32:45 AM
Old 09-21-2010
achenle,
can you help -
i have done this:
Code:
while read file
do
  dir = `dirname $file`
  print $dir
done < latest.txt

but i am getting error!

---------- Post updated at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:54 PM ----------

well it got solved! Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting full path from relative path

given a relative path, how do i convert it into a full one. i.e. if i am in /home/polypus and i am given foo/bar then to get a full path i can just concatinate it with pwd, but what if i am given "../mama" how do i programmatically convert: /home/polypus and ../mama into ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: polypus
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve part of file path

Hi I am trying to use sed to retrieve part of my html file's path. I am having a hard time getting what I want. Could someone give me some help? I want to retrieve the section after html and before the file name For example if I have the following, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger66
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by Full directory path

I have a text file with full list of files with their full path. I wanted to sort it by directory then files then subdirectory by alphabetically. When I used the sort command it doesn't give like what I want. Could somebody help me on this. Here is the ex: This is what I'm getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javidraaj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Present Working Directory (not the full path)

Hi, Is there a command that tells you right away the current working directory? I know the command "pwd", but that one gives the full path. if pwd gives me: /a/b/c/d/ggg/HERE I want something that will give me: HERE Thanks, Gaurab (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurab
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get an ls -l to not show the full directory path?

Hey I'm new to the forums here, and I'm seeking help for this script that I'm writing. When I do ls -l of a directory it shows the full pathname for files in it. For example, if the directory is /internet/post/forum/ and the file is topic, it currently shows internet/post/forum/topic. What's the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unity04
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 doesn't have full directory path

I'm running AIX unix korn shell. If I echo $0, I only get the filename, it does not have the directory name also. So when I do: `dirname $0` it returns a . (meaning current directory). How get $0 to return the full path/filename? Do I need something in my .profile? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
hdf_search_path(3)						  util/neo_hdf.h						hdf_search_path(3)

NAME
hdf_search_path - Find a file given a search path in HDF SYNOPSIS
#include <util/neo_hdf.h> NEOERR* hdf_search_path (HDF *hdf, const char *path, char *full); ARGUMENTS
hdf -> the hdf dataset to use path -> the relative path full -> a pointer to a _POSIX_PATH_MAX buffer DESCRIPTION
hdf_search_path is a convenience/utility function that searches for relative filenames in a search path. The search path is the list given by the children of hdf.loadpaths. RETURN VALUE
full -> the full path of the file SEE ALSO
hdf_set_symlink(3), hdf_get_valuef(3), compareFunc)(3), hdf_dump_str(3), hdf_get_int_value(3), hdf_read_string_ignore(3), hdf_copy(3), hdf_get_node(3), hdf_set_value(3), hdf_obj_child(3), hdf_read_string(3), hdf_set_buf(3), hdf_register_fileload(3), hdf_get_obj(3), hdf_get_attr(3), hdf_obj_top(3), hdf_dump_format(3), hdf_destroy(3), hdf_init(3), hdf_obj_value(3), hdf_write_string(3), hdf_set_val- uevf(3), hdf_sort_obj(3), hdf_write_file_atomic(3), hdf_obj_attr(3), hdf_set_valuef(3), hdf_get_copy(3), hdf_write_file(3), hdf_get_val- uevf(3), hdf_set_int_value(3), hdf_dump(3), hdf_get_value(3), hdf_set_copy(3), hdf_obj_next(3), hdf_search_path(3), hdf_obj_name(3), hdf_set_attr(3), hdf_get_child(3), hdf_remove_tree ClearSilver 12 July 2007 hdf_search_path(3)