Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about argument parsing in scripts Post 302454697 by agama on Sunday 19th of September 2010 09:47:23 PM
Old 09-19-2010
The expansion of the contents of "$@", "$*", and $* are different, which results in the differing results. Assuming that a "b c" d e was entered on the command line, then "$@" results in this expansion on the for loop (quoting from the command line is preserved):

Code:
 for  x in  a "b c" d e

while "$*" results in:

Code:
 for x in "a b c d e"

Here the command line arguments are converted to a single token and thus the loop executes only once with "a b c d" assigned to x.

For the last example, $* (no quotes) evaluates to just a b c d on the loop statement (quoting from the command line is not preserved) and thus the loop is executed one time for each and thus each is presented on a separate line.

Hope this makes it more clear.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

argument parsing...

Hi all, Iam a beginer in shell scripting. i need a script that can parse the arguments and store them in variables. ex: ./myScript -v v1 -h v2 -c v3...... can someone suggest me...? tnx in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: midhun_u
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple argument in scripting question

I tried to do a search, but it couldnt pinpoint what my answer since using limited but broad keywords. Sorry in advance ; ; Im limited to using Bourne shell scripting only, atm I have the following code (just the heading part of it) ... ... # VARIABLE DECLARATION # ==================== ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeto
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing text from one line with shell scripts

Hi Gurus! I wonder if anyone can help me, I'm sure you guys can. I have a text file which contains a lot of data on the one line as follows: $ What I need to do is pull all of those id values out (eg 2549425) and write them to a list in a text file. Any help would be greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3g0bl1n
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with spaces and argument parsing

public class HelloWorld { public static void main(String args) { System.out.println("Welcome, master"); } } and I compiled using javac HelloWorld.java ] Suppose that I execute the following command directly from the shell: java -XX:OnError="gdb - %p" HelloWorld Then it works... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing question

Hi Guys, I was wondering if you could help me out - I have a directory /home/users/datafiles/ which contain files "dat dd-mm-yy.xls" I am trying to write a script which does the following - (1) loops through all the files (2) retrieves the dd-mm-yy string and converts it into a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: muser
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Parsing Argument

i wanna passing an argument which read in a file or a set of files if the files are given in the command line, otherwise use STDIN if no file argument. i got something like that, but it is not really working. so can anyone help me? which one is better to use for and how? Use perl. Thank you ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing argument in perl

in bash: LIST=`cat $1` for i in $LIST do ... done how will i do this in perl ? $1 is my first arguement. I'm a newbie in perl and will appreciate much your help guys ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about getopts optional argument [args...]

There are many places where I can see the syntax description for optargs, which, usually boils down to this: getopts OPTSTRING VARNAME where: OPTSTRING tells getopts which options to expect and where to expect arguments VARNAME tells getopts which shell-variable to use for option reporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharkura
2 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)