Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about argument parsing in scripts Post 302454689 by nicthu on Sunday 19th of September 2010 08:43:16 PM
Old 09-19-2010
Question about argument parsing in scripts

Hello all, I am relatively new to linux and bash scripting. I have what seems to be a simple question but I'm having trouble finding the answer.

The question is what is the difference between the variables $@ and $*. I've seen them both used in the same context, and I've tried a number of different scripts to determine the difference but they both seem to do the exact same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line argument parsing

how to parse the command line argument to look for '@' sign and the following with '.'. In my shell script one of the argument passed is email address. I want to parse this email address to look for correct format. rmjoe123@hotmail.com has '@' sign and followed by a '.' to be more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmjoe
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

argument parsing...

Hi all, Iam a beginer in shell scripting. i need a script that can parse the arguments and store them in variables. ex: ./myScript -v v1 -h v2 -c v3...... can someone suggest me...? tnx in adv. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: midhun_u
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very simple argument in scripting question

I tried to do a search, but it couldnt pinpoint what my answer since using limited but broad keywords. Sorry in advance ; ; Im limited to using Bourne shell scripting only, atm I have the following code (just the heading part of it) ... ... # VARIABLE DECLARATION # ==================== ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeto
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Parsing text from one line with shell scripts

Hi Gurus! I wonder if anyone can help me, I'm sure you guys can. I have a text file which contains a lot of data on the one line as follows: $ What I need to do is pull all of those id values out (eg 2549425) and write them to a list in a text file. Any help would be greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3g0bl1n
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with spaces and argument parsing

public class HelloWorld { public static void main(String args) { System.out.println("Welcome, master"); } } and I compiled using javac HelloWorld.java ] Suppose that I execute the following command directly from the shell: java -XX:OnError="gdb - %p" HelloWorld Then it works... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing question

Hi Guys, I was wondering if you could help me out - I have a directory /home/users/datafiles/ which contain files "dat dd-mm-yy.xls" I am trying to write a script which does the following - (1) loops through all the files (2) retrieves the dd-mm-yy string and converts it into a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: muser
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Parsing Argument

i wanna passing an argument which read in a file or a set of files if the files are given in the command line, otherwise use STDIN if no file argument. i got something like that, but it is not really working. so can anyone help me? which one is better to use for and how? Use perl. Thank you ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingming88
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing argument in perl

in bash: LIST=`cat $1` for i in $LIST do ... done how will i do this in perl ? $1 is my first arguement. I'm a newbie in perl and will appreciate much your help guys ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about getopts optional argument [args...]

There are many places where I can see the syntax description for optargs, which, usually boils down to this: getopts OPTSTRING VARNAME where: OPTSTRING tells getopts which options to expect and where to expect arguments VARNAME tells getopts which shell-variable to use for option reporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharkura
2 Replies
Net::DNS::Question(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Net::DNS::Question(3)

NAME
Net::DNS::Question - DNS question record SYNOPSIS
use Net::DNS::Question; $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); DESCRIPTION
A Net::DNS::Question object represents a record in the question section of a DNS packet. METHODS
new $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com', 'A', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('example.com'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10', 'PTR', 'IN'); $question = new Net::DNS::Question('192.0.32.10'); Creates a question object from the domain, type, and class passed as arguments. One or both type and class arguments may be omitted and will assume the default values shown above. RFC4291 and RFC4632 IP address/prefix notation is supported for queries in both in-addr.arpa and ip6.arpa namespaces. decode $question = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); ($question, $offset) = decode Net::DNS::Question($data, $offset); Decodes the question record at the specified location within a DNS wire-format packet. The first argument is a reference to the buffer containing the packet data. The second argument is the offset of the start of the question record. Returns a Net::DNS::Question object and the offset of the next location in the packet. An exception is raised if the object cannot be created (e.g., corrupt or insufficient data). encode $data = $question->encode( $offset, $hash ); Returns the Net::DNS::Question in binary format suitable for inclusion in a DNS packet buffer. The optional arguments are the offset within the packet data where the Net::DNS::Question is to be stored and a reference to a hash table used to index compressed names within the packet. name $name = $question->name; Internationalised domain name corresponding to the qname attribute. Decoding non-ASCII domain names is computationally expensive and undesirable for names which are likely to be used to construct further queries. When required to communicate with humans, the 'proper' domain name should be extracted from a query or reply packet. $query = new Net::DNS::Packet( $example, 'ANY' ); $reply = $resolver->send($query) or die; ($question) = $reply->question; $name = $question->name; qname, zname $qname = $question->qname; $zname = $question->zname; Canonical ASCII domain name as required for the query subject transmitted to a nameserver. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zname() and refers to the zone name. qtype, ztype $qtype = $question->qtype; $ztype = $question->ztype; Returns the question type attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as ztype() and refers to the zone type. qclass, zclass $qclass = $question->qclass; $zclass = $question->zclass; Returns the question class attribute. In dynamic update packets, this attribute is known as zclass() and refers to the zone class. print $object->print; Prints the record to the standard output. Calls the string() method to get the string representation. string print "string = ", $question->string, " "; Returns a string representation of the question record. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c)1997-2002 Michael Fuhr. Portions Copyright (c)2002-2004 Chris Reinhardt. Portions Copyright (c)2003,2006-2011 Dick Franks. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
perl, Net::DNS, Net::DNS::DomainName, Net::DNS::Packet, RFC 1035 Section 4.1.2 perl v5.18.2 2014-01-16 Net::DNS::Question(3)