Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sync password
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sync password Post 302453913 by frank_rizzo on Thursday 16th of September 2010 06:17:23 PM
Old 09-16-2010
Personally I would not scp the /etc/passwd /etc/shadow files directly. there is to much that can go wrong. Also do you really want the same root passwords on all of the systems? Either write a custom script using a utility like chpasswd(8) or implement a centralized system like LDAP. How many servers are there?
This User Gave Thanks to frank_rizzo For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Workstations are not sync

What's the idea of Unsyncron SUN WS's ? one of our client had a problem & my supervisor told me that this causes of unsynchron WS's i mean maybe the setting of one is not compatible with other ..... Any Suggestion would be helpful Rgrds, nikk (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

samba questions (password conversion to blowfish and is it wise to sync the useraccou

i stumbled upon something that gave some nice instructions on how to convert FreeBSD passwords from md5 to blowfish. it was simple and straight forward and it worked. i'm running samba on the machine. now i know the tutorial i was following had something where a user's samba and machine... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

3. Solaris

cron sync

hi all , i have a E4900 server cluster that consists of 2 Servers (Cluster1 and cluster2 ) all of my crons are located under /var/spool/cron/crontabs . I am trying to put them on a shared place , so thati dont have to edit both crons on every system . thank you cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Sync to Green vs. Separate Sync

Hi all....I have a Sun Ultra2 that I want to use with my PC monitor. I have purchased an adapter that does not work and I was told I need to change my video card setting (if I can) to Separate Sync.....my Monitor product number ends in 1343......I am running SunOS 5.7 ......anyone have any ideas? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psantinello
0 Replies

5. Solaris

R-sync for solaris?

Hi Gurus I ave a Prod,standby and DR server(All Sol 5.9) and i need to sync the Application running in prod,standby and DR. The Application vests in a filesystem(a directory) and syncing the directory would server my purpose. I came across rsync utility and am planning to implement it. But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password script sync

Hi all, I am trying to create a simple password script but it seems not working well. What I'm trying to do is to sync the yppasswd and smbpasswd. So I created this: #!/bin/csh echo "" echo "Please enter old password: " set OLDPASSWD = $< echo "Please enter new password: " set NEWPASSWD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saiful
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sync

Folks; I have 2 SUSE DNS servers, one will be the master and one will be the slave. we normally update the master when adding any new servers to the DNS list. I'm looking for a way to sync both servers every night, so the slave is updated nightly. I thought of using "rsync" with cron to sync... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies

8. AIX

Unable to sync a lv

Hi Please look in to the below issue and advise how to fix the issue. I tried syncvg but it gives me an error. Recently we have upgraded the service pack in this lpar. ========================================================== pmut8# lsvg -l rootvg | grep -i stale paging00 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
3 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
CHPASSWD(8)						    System Management Commands						       CHPASSWD(8)

NAME
chpasswd - update passwords in batch mode SYNOPSIS
chpasswd [options] DESCRIPTION
The chpasswd command reads a list of user name and password pairs from standard input and uses this information to update a group of existing users. Each line is of the format: user_name:password By default the passwords must be supplied in clear-text, and are encrypted by chpasswd. Also the password age will be updated, if present. The default encryption algorithm can be defined for the system with the ENCRYPT_METHOD or MD5_CRYPT_ENAB variables of /etc/login.defs, and can be overwitten with the -e, -m, or -c options. chpasswd first updates all the passwords in memory, and then commits all the changes to disk if no errors occured for any user. This command is intended to be used in a large system environment where many accounts are created at a single time. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chpasswd command are: -c, --crypt-method METHOD Use the specified method to encrypt the passwords. The available methods are DES, MD5, NONE, and SHA256 or SHA512 if your libc support these methods. By default (if none of the -c, -m, or -e options are specified), the encryption method is defined by the ENCRYPT_METHOD or MD5_CRYPT_ENAB variables of /etc/login.defs. -e, --encrypted Supplied passwords are in encrypted form. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -m, --md5 Use MD5 encryption instead of DES when the supplied passwords are not encrypted. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --sha-rounds ROUNDS Use the specified number of rounds to encrypt the passwords. The value 0 means that the system will choose the default number of rounds for the crypt method (5000). A minimal value of 1000 and a maximal value of 999,999,999 will be enforced. You can only use this option with the SHA256 or SHA512 crypt method. By default, the number of rounds is defined by the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS and SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS variables in /etc/login.defs. CAVEATS
Remember to set permissions or umask to prevent readability of unencrypted files by other users. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: ENCRYPT_METHOD (string) This defines the system default encryption algorithm for encrypting passwords (if no algorithm are specified on the command line). It can take one of these values: DES (default), MD5, SHA256, SHA512. Note: this parameter overrides the MD5_CRYPT_ENAB variable. MD5_CRYPT_ENAB (boolean) Indicate if passwords must be encrypted using the MD5-based algorithm. If set to yes, new passwords will be encrypted using the MD5-based algorithm compatible with the one used by recent releases of FreeBSD. It supports passwords of unlimited length and longer salt strings. Set to no if you need to copy encrypted passwords to other systems which don't understand the new algorithm. Default is no. This variable is superseded by the ENCRYPT_METHOD variable or by any command line option used to configure the encryption algorithm. This variable is deprecated. You should use ENCRYPT_METHOD. SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS (number), SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS (number) When ENCRYPT_METHOD is set to SHA256 or SHA512, this defines the number of SHA rounds used by the encryption algorithm by default (when the number of rounds is not specified on the command line). With a lot of rounds, it is more difficult to brute forcing the password. But note also that more CPU resources will be needed to authenticate users. If not specified, the libc will choose the default number of rounds (5000). The values must be inside the 1000-999,999,999 range. If only one of the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS or SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS values is set, then this value will be used. If SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS > SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS, the highest value will be used. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), newusers(8), login.defs(5), useradd(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHPASSWD(8)