Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Really understanding Linux/Unix-Derivatives Post 302452137 by rhfrommn on Thursday 9th of September 2010 10:50:32 AM
Old 09-09-2010
I've always liked Arch Linux for that. The base install is very stripped down and you build what you want. The fancy GUI desktops, package managers, etc. are all available but won't be installed unless you specifically want them. So you can start with a base system and build up a piece at a time learning as you go.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help Understanding a Unix Command

Trying to install something. Can someone explain what this means? chmod -R a+r . chmod -R a+w logo.gif tempdir/ templates_c/ I recognize that file permissions are being changed (chmod), but beyond that, it's Greek to me. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris86
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

am a newbie to unix. plz help in understanding this code.

hi everybody. please help me in understanding this code. echo "************* starting job on `date +\"%d/%m/%Y at %T\"` **************" # scriptdir=`dirname $0` . ${scriptdir}/env_params.sh # SHLIB_PATH=${ORACLE_HOME}/lib: export SHLIB_PATH export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokulj
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding UNIX/Linux

Hello: I'm a totally newbie here. My company has UNIX. My development team would like me to learn UNIX and shell scripting. I've worked with Linux in the past, very briefly. I have Ubuntu installed on my laptop. I was wondering whether or not the shell scripting for Linux is the same... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbradshaw
0 Replies

4. Programming

Understanding Linux Kernel

Hi, I have started reading about Linux kernel. The books also explains about the source code here and there. I found a file named head.s in the source which i am not able to understand, it looks like some assembly language. Can anyone confirm this, so that can start looking for assemble... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on understanding this script ( linux)

ORACLE_HOME=/opt/ora10g/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1;export ORACLE_HOME PATH=.:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/usr/bin;export PATH ORACLE_SID=USUP PASS=Figomom#0;export PASS rm /orabkup/USUP/*.Z if ] then echo $PASS | sqlplus system@USUP @/home/ora10g/crons/scripts/hot.sql echo $PASS | sqlplus... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redologger
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Suggest books for understanding Ubuntu Linux

recommend books to understand ubuntu ...... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyom
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need little help in understanding UNIX file system.

statement 1 : I see everyone saying Unix follows a tree like hierarchial structure. Statement 2: Unix file system has four blocks 1.boot block 2.super block 3.inodes 4.data block My question is , in which of the above four blocks , the hierarchial structure comes.?? How could we corelate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra Eliset
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance understanding a UNIX script

Hello, If I could get some assistance breaking down this Unix script in order to better understand it. A co-worker wrote this script and is no longer with us. I believe this script converts documents into .txt files, but we are trying to edit it so that it converts documents to .pdf automatically... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: B00GS
1 Replies
dpkg-checkbuilddeps(1)						    dpkg suite						    dpkg-checkbuilddeps(1)

NAME
dpkg-checkbuilddeps - check build dependencies and conflicts SYNOPSIS
dpkg-checkbuilddeps [option...] [control-file] DESCRIPTION
This program checks the installed packages in the system against the build dependencies and build conflicts listed in the control file. If any are not met, it displays them and exits with a nonzero return code. By default, debian/control is read, but an alternate control filename may be specified on the command line. OPTIONS
--admindir=dir Change the location of the dpkg database (since dpkg 1.14.0). The default location is /var/lib/dpkg. -A Ignore Build-Depends-Arch and Build-Conflicts-Arch lines (since dpkg 1.16.4). Use when only arch-indep packages will be built, or combine with -B when only a source package is to be built. -B Ignore Build-Depends-Indep and Build-Conflicts-Indep lines. Use when only arch-dep packages will be built, or combine with -A when only a source package is to be built. -I Ignore built-in build depends and conflicts (since dpkg 1.18.2). These are implicit dependencies that are usually required on a specific distribution, the so called Build-Essential package set. -d build-depends-string -c build-conflicts-string Use the given build dependencies/conflicts instead of those contained in the debian/control file (since dpkg 1.14.17). -a arch Check build dependencies/conflicts assuming that the package described in the control file is to be built for the given host architecture instead of the architecture of the current system (since dpkg 1.16.2). -P profile[,...] Check build dependencies/conflicts assuming that the package described in the control file is to be built for the given build profile(s) (since dpkg 1.17.2). The argument is a comma-separated list of profile names. -?, --help Show the usage message and exit. --version Show the version and exit. ENVIRONMENT
DEB_BUILD_PROFILES If set, it will be used as the active build profile(s) for the package being built. It is a space separated list of profile names. Overridden by the -P option. 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 dpkg-checkbuilddeps(1)