Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill Process not owned by other user Post 302449779 by methyl on Tuesday 31st of August 2010 01:46:54 PM
Old 08-31-2010
Sorry, I try not to put such programs in the public domain.

In your circumstance I usually create an account soley to run the background process and use that account to start/stop the process from cron. Then also have an locked down interactive login to that account solely for manual status/stop/start/kill . The password to the interactive login would only be known to those who need to know and they do not need access to any other users account.
This also avoids the issues if a process owner changes role.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete everything owned bya particular user?

Hi I am an Oracle DBA and I want to delete everything owned byOracle on the AIX server. What command would do that? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarangishere
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to kill a process initiated by other user at the same group

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow a group members to be able to kill (using kill command) processes created by other user at the same group? and i need the change to be at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab or looping script to Kill process from user

I am looking for a way to kill 2 processes from a user through some kind of script. Using an oracle script, I get two process ids that need to be killed. SQL> select ssn.process as client_process_id, pcs.spid as oracle_process_id, ssn.sid, ssn.serial# 2 from v$session ssn inner join... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meert
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to kill all the netscape process of a particular user?

how to kill all the "netsacpe" processes of a particular user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
1 Replies

5. Solaris

fbconsole process owned by user

I did a ps-ef on a host and discovered many /usr/openwin/bin/fbconsole processes running. They were owned by several users and its parent PID in etc/init. I bellieve that this process should be owned by root and not the user, and also the parent PID should be the dtlogin. Any ideas of how this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amp4cats
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kill process owned by another user

How can I kill a process owned by user1? I will be using another user (user2) (not root) and we are on the same primary and secondary group. I copied everything including it's .profile and set the path accordingly. user1@hostnmae0:/home/user1 $ pkill java pkill: Failed to signal pid 1234:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill all process of Oracle user

Hi folks, I want to kill all process of oracle user and won't kill shell, should i try this? Please confirm. 1st way pgrep -u oracle | sudo xargs kill -9 2nd way killall -u oracle (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete everything owned by a particular user

I want to delete all files and folders owned a user say abcuser in the folder /tmp . Can you please give me the command ? Thanks Matt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris, grant user to kill another process

the task is grant user1 to kill another (for example user2) process. My steps: by root: usermod -P "Process Management" user1 login user1 user1@server (~) pfexec kill <PID> the result is: ksh: <PID>: not found or user1@server (~) pfexec pkill <PID> the result: nothing happens, still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsyberia
0 Replies
netrc(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  netrc(4)

NAME
netrc, .netrc - Specifies automatic login information for ftp SYNOPSIS
$HOME/.netrc DESCRIPTION
The .netrc file contains the information used by the automatic login (autologin) feature of the ftp command. It is a hidden file in your home directory and must be owned by the user logging in, or by the root user. If the .netrc file contains a login password, the file's permissions must be set to 600 (read and write by owner only). The .netrc file can contain the following entries (separated by spaces, tabs, or newlines): Where host is the name of a remote host. This entry begins the definition of the autologin process for the specified host. All following entries up to the next machine entry or the end of the file apply to that host. This is the same as machine, except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must appear after all machine tokens. This is normally used as follows: default login anonymous password user@site The preceding command line gives the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overriden by using the -n flag to disable autologin. Where user is the username to use at the remote host. If this entry is found, the autologin process initiates a login using the specified name. If this entry is missing, the autologin process fails. Where password is the login password to be used. The autologin process supplies this password to the remote server. A login password must be established at the remote host and that pass- word must be entered in this file, or the autologin process fails and you are prompted for the login password. Where password is the account password to be used. If this entry is found and an account password is required at the remote host, the autologin process supplies the password to the remote server. If the remote host requires an account password but this entry is missing, the autologin process prompts for the account password. Where macro is the name of an ftp subcommand macro. The macro definition starts on the following line and is defined to contain all of the following ftp subcommands up to the next blank line. If the macro is named init, ftp executes the macro upon successful completion of the autologin process. FILES
Contains automatic login information. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: ftp(1). delim off netrc(4)